DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Lockups and Hard Crashes from Newest Fantasy Grounds Update

Hi,

My computer for Fantasy Grounds is a Microsoft Surface Laptop Go. Previously, it had worked exceptionally well for handling the game. However, the latest update has created some worrying failures.

The system is operating on Windows 11. I tested against my other Microsoft Surface Laptop that was running Windows 10 and did not experience the crashing.

To reproduce:
    Press Create Campaign
    Enter in your details, you can use LAN and Private (they all provide the same behavior)
    Fantasy Grounds will load
    Click Image
    Import an image similar to what Czepeku provides
    Image will import correctly
    Either way a minute or go ahead and try rotating the map 90 degrees twice (this will cause a freeze quicker than just waiting)
    Fantasy grounds will now either Freeze the screen, Lock up the entire computer, or Force a reboot.

There are no extensions on. This is a fresh install after seeing the failure. This works on D&D 5E rules and the Core Rules. I haven't tested others.

I've been using the Microsoft Surface Laptop Go for about a year now with Fantasy Grounds driving my tabletop and just discovered this issue. Last time I used this without error was 3/10/2024 and only started seeing this today after an update.

Any help would be great.

Welcome to the FG forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Takujin View Post
    Import an image similar to what Czepeku provides
    Their images can be pretty big, and are usually above the recommended resolution (approx. 16 million pixels). Image guidelines can be found here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...uct+Guidelines

Do you get the same issue if you use a smaller image?
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 25th, 2024 at 04:35.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    First, see if you can go to the Event Viewer and find the system logs for the crash and see what the error message is and post here.

Next it seems like two things I would look at next;
    1) Graphics Driver, version and settings. Try an older driver if you are on the current, or update to the current. Then try dropping some of the 3D performance settings
    2) The image. How large is the image you are trying to import? Czepeku makes some that are way larger than recommended file size. Does it happen with other images from different creators that are within image size recommendations? Does the file type matter?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi,

Great questions and insight all. Czepeku maps didn't use to have issues before the update. I'll check to see if there's a graphic driver update...

I tried with a smaller map:
    Seafoam Games is about 0.7MB
    Czepeku Map is about 4 MB

Seafoam Games did not lead to any of the crashing.

Let me check if there is a graphics driver update too.

We might need a copy of one of the problematic maps sent in via a Support ticket via menu above, so that we can test and see what the issue might be. Then, I can forward to @pindercarl to take a look.

Regards,
    JPG

Hi,

Thanks, JPG.

By installing the drivers directly from Intel, I'm able to get around the issue. However, Intel makes it a point that it strongly suggests not downloading its graphics drivers while using a Surface machine and instead defers to Microsoft. I've uploaded a czepeku map that regularly caused the issue.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks. I've forwarded to @pindercarl to see if we can recreate here.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Takujin View Post
    Hi,

Thanks, JPG.

By installing the drivers directly from Intel, I'm able to get around the issue. However, Intel makes it a point that it strongly suggests not downloading its graphics drivers while using a Surface machine and instead defers to Microsoft. I've uploaded a czepeku map that regularly caused the issue.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    Based on the information you've provided: 1) the error does not occur on the Windows 10 Surface Pro, and 2) the error does not occur with the Intel drivers; this appears to be an issue with the Windows 11 Nvidia drivers. Long term, we can look at how some of the GPU memory allocations are made.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Based on the information you've provided: 1) the error does not occur on the Windows 10 Surface Pro, and 2) the error does not occur with the Intel drivers; this appears to be an issue with the Windows 11 Nvidia drivers. Long term, we can look at how some of the GPU memory allocations are made.
    I also have these issues. I have rolled back drivers, disabled audio, tried different drivers, and such.
    I also check my ram, heating/cooling temps, and Hard Drive issues. This issue was prior to the 4.5.0 but now seems much more often. Most of the crashes and freezing occur when interacting with map images or the map tools. This rarely happens with my previous build which was an AMD build. I have had many issues with my Intel/Nvidia build in regards to video and Fantasy Grounds. I have also changed the Vsync settings in Fantasy Grounds and in the video card's driver settings to limit FPS. The crashes occur more under load, which led to think it was heat related. Sometimes, I get no crashes at all, depending on what I am working on or doing. Streaming simultaneously with Fantasy Grounds seems to be the main culprit or heavier use occurrence for errors.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Interestingly enough, I've gone back to verify the driver upgrade help, and while it had made progress before, the crashes came back. I countered this with "Run as Administrator." I'll keep monitoring this as others might run into the same issue like Laerun.

Thread Information