5E Character Create Playlist

IF: Custom(..); .. doesn't work with lights?

I was attempting to use an effect to driver whether or not a token had light.

Using "IF: Custom(AnotherEffect); DMG: 2d6 fire" works as intended, whereby the "DMG: 2d6 fire" only works if "AnotherEffect" is on the token.
    I had hoped that swapping "DMG: 2d6 fire" for "LIGHT: 30 torch" would work the same way. Unfortunately, it appears the light is always created, regardless of "AnotherEffect" being on the token or not.

Do we know if that is working as intended, or perhaps, a bug?

(I know the player can manage all of these independently, I am looking to key off of a specific Effect and it not be managed by the user)

Thanks!

It's working as intended, light effects aren't targetable so they don't work as conditional effects (IF, IFT).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It's working as intended, light effects aren't targetable so they don't work as conditional effects (IF, IFT).
    I am not sure that is accurate. I do not see any information saying the statement after IF has to be "targetable".

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects says:
    "A Note on IF and IFT
    What both these functions do is test a condition and if it is found to be true then the next part of the statement will be carried out, otherwise it will be ignored."

and

"The difference between the two components is that IF looks at the source (i.e. the creature on which the effect is sitting) whilst IFT looks at the target of the creature on which the effect is sitting."

and

"IF: [condition OR conditional operator]: Ignores the remainder of the effect components within the effect label, unless the source actor has the specified condition."

My reading of that would imply that the IF should operate on the source, and then carry out the next statement or not depending on the truthiness.

Trenloe is quite correct. Read here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...fect-Targeting

Only effects with a (T) next to them are targetable.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks Trenloe for the heads up and Zacchaeus for the clarification.

It may be helpful for future newbies if A Note on IF and IFT
    "What both these functions do is test a condition and if it is found to be true then the next part of the statement will be carried out, otherwise it will be ignored."
    Was updated to include -
    "only if the next part of the statement is targetable (T). Non-targetable functions ignore the condition test".

Many thanks.

Actually, about the wiki notes: IF can be combined with effects which are not targetable. However, there are exceptions like the lighting effects. I think this is due to that the lighting effects are CoreRPG based while the IF operator actually is based on the ruleset (here 5E) But just speculating; however, I am pretty sure that in general IF works usually with all effects (except lighting) because I often used that (may be also because of the general lighting code behind it)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; January 25th, 2022 at 13:46.

Thread Information