STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How the heck do you make weapons in 2E ruleset?

I can't find instructions for 2E, so I've tried the 5E instructions to no avail : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...reate_a_Weapon

I can make an item, but it never gets a class. Example: Here I attempted to make the Arquebus. Notice that it has no damge, even though I put in weapon damage, and it is not assigned any category. (next to it is the PHB version for comparison).

Weapon.PNGweapon2.PNG
    Last edited by Tensin; January 23rd, 2022 at 21:32. Reason: Moving attachments to embeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensin View Post
    I can't find instructions for 2E, so I've tried the 5E instructions to no avail : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...reate_a_Weapon

I can make an item, but it never gets a class. Example: Here I attempted to make the Arquebus. Notice that it has no damge, even though I put in weapon damage, and it is not assigned any category. (next to it is the PHB version for comparison).
    The 2E system uses a different method to create weapons than 5e.

Your first question seems odd, as I can see the weapon has damage. I also have no idea what you mean by "never gets a class".

Here is how I make a new weapon.

From the weapon tab you can either drag/drop an existing weapon into the area indicated or you can right click and manually create it.

In this case I right clicked and created.

This is what mine looked like.

The sword given to a character shows in the action tab.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Your first question seems odd, as I can see the weapon has damage. I also have no idea what you mean by "never gets a class".
    If you look on the right side of the "Items" window in the first image, you can see that there are categories ("Weapon, Gear, etc", and that the item I made, it's blank).

From the weapon tab you can either drag/drop an existing weapon into the area indicated or you can right click and manually create it.
    If you look at the second attached image in the original post I did that (though I can see that I did not set it as a ranged weapon).

How do I make a weapon that looks like the weapon from the PHB? One that says "Weapon" at the top when locked, one that shows a "weapon" category in the items window, one that will appear when I click on the "weapons" button.

Also, every weapon in 2E has dmg vs S/M and different damage vs L... is that not supported by FG's 2E ruleset?
    Same question with ranges. Are ranges not supported in FG? Just a text note?

*Edit* I tried changing my attachments to embeds; but it appears to have made it worse.

If you look on the right side of the "Items" window in the first image, you can see that there are categories ("Weapon, Gear, etc", and that the item I made, it's blank).

If you look at the second attached image in the original post I did that (though I can see that I did not set it as a ranged weapon).

How do I make a weapon that looks like the weapon from the PHB? One that says "Weapon" at the top when locked, one that shows a "weapon" category in the items window, one that will appear when I click on the "weapons" button.

Also, every weapon in 2E has dmg vs S/M and different damage vs L... is that not supported by FG's 2E ruleset?
    Same question with ranges. Are ranges not supported in FG? Just a text note?

*Edit* I tried changing my attachments to embeds; but it appears to have made it worse.
    Those drop downs in this image is where you select the type/subtypes/rarity.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Choose Weapon from the drop down list. Same with Subtype and Rarity if you need them (simply informational).

It is often quite helpful to look at a stock item that you are trying to emulate.

Make a new item. Give it a name. From the drop down list for Type, choose Weapon. Give it a cost and any description you deem necessary.

Go to the Weapon tab and make an entry there, click on the gear symbol to add in specifics of damage and type of damage. If you want a different damage range vs L creatures, simply make another line and drag the needed damage dice to the usual place. In the Type line to the right, put in P, B or S for puncture, bludgeoning or slashing. Also put in a L to denote this damage is vs L or bigger creatures.

Great way would be to try to modify existing weapon, so find a long sword, drag it to the list to make a copy. Open that copy and look around - everything that you want to do is signposted there.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Those drop downs in this image is where you select the type/subtypes/rarity.
    I had done that. Please look at image "weapon.png" from the original post. You'll lsee I chose type "weapon" and subtype "weapon", and it does not appear in the title bar, nor in the "Items" datagrid.

Choose Weapon from the drop down list. Same with Subtype and Rarity if you need them (simply informational).
    Please look at the attachments on the original post.

I did all of these things. This did not result in "weapon" type appearing in the items datagrid, nor did it result in an item that looked like the PHB supplied one (see WEAPON.PNG for comparison between the two).

I very much appriciate the people stepping in to try to help, but it's frustrating to be told to do things that I did and showed in the original post.

Weapon 3.JPG
    Weapon4.JPG
    Weapon5.JPG

EDIT: Sorry. I have no idea why I'm getting links rather than embedded images.
    Last edited by Tensin; January 23rd, 2022 at 22:18.

OK. So I deleted my own and literally drag-copied the one from the PHB... the new item doesn't have a group (if you chose "weapons" from the drop-down "groups" in "items", the original shows but the new one doesn't).

Pushing the "weapons" button opens a window that shows both.

So one of my question is, how do I put an item into a "Group", such that the group appears on the drop-down in the item window and the item appears in that group?

I had done that. Please look at image "weapon.png" from the original post. You'll lsee I chose type "weapon" and subtype "weapon", and it does not appear in the title bar, nor in the "Items" datagrid.

Please look at the attachments on the original post.

I did all of these things. This did not result in "weapon" type appearing in the items datagrid, nor did it result in an item that looked like the PHB supplied one (see WEAPON.PNG for comparison between the two).

I very much appriciate the people stepping in to try to help, but it's frustrating to be told to do things that I did and showed in the original post.

Weapon 3.JPG
    Weapon4.JPG
    Weapon5.JPG

EDIT: Sorry. I have no idea why I'm getting links rather than embedded images.
    Those are record categories, not specific to weapons. All records can be placed into categories. That is a standard feature of FG records. Stories tend to do it a lot.

The drop downs are how you filter your search.
    ---

Those are record categories, not specific to weapons. All records can be placed into categories.
    What are the steps to place a record into a category?

Blog Entries
    Click on the Down Arrow to show the groups, dont select the group. If the group is offscreen scroll to the group is shown.
    Then from the main window, drag your item, by its link, into the group.

Alternatively - select the group before you create the item.
    Then the new item will be made in that group.

Thread Information