DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Get everyone an 11th gen i9, 256 gb of ram and a couple 3060 GPUs or whatever is cutting edge. This will help I feel certain.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Disabling lighting (though keeping LoS) made a considerable difference on some maps for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter1923 View Post
    Freehand-drawn irregular walls, circles, and ellipses are the worst culprits as they can have masses of points on the LOS, try to minimise these, and things will run smoother.
    I haven't watched all of the Smiteworks LOS youtube tutorials, but it might be worth considering if older ones are giving out counter-productive advice. I'm thinking about this one specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQnCo9Q8fjQ

Where during the course of drawing cave LOS it's talked about getting the LOS really precise with lots of data points. This was one of the first ones I'd watched, and so the current advice regarding minimizing points was a light bulb moment, as it was in my head to make the LOS precise with lots of points, like in the video.

IDK if perhaps culling tutorial videos as performance issues are identified is a good use of time or not, but if people aren't on discord or forums and following taking all of such advice to heart, it's natural they'll be stumped about why their games run slow (and blame the engine)

Quote Originally Posted by EOTB View Post
    I haven't watched all of the Smiteworks LOS youtube tutorials, but it might be worth considering if older ones are giving out counter-productive advice. I'm thinking about this one specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQnCo9Q8fjQ

Where during the course of drawing cave LOS it's talked about getting the LOS really precise with lots of data points. This was one of the first ones I'd watched, and so the current advice regarding minimizing points was a light bulb moment, as it was in my head to make the LOS precise with lots of points, like in the video.

IDK if perhaps culling tutorial videos as performance issues are identified is a good use of time or not, but if people aren't on discord or forums and following taking all of such advice to heart, it's natural they'll be stumped about why their games run slow (and blame the engine)
    In small low populated maps that is not a problem. But we are not talking about that in some of the ones mentioned earlier (huge and congested)
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Wow,
    Lot's of great answers. Thanks.
    I think the LOS could be an issue, the idea of sending the maps when my players are offline, and removing obsolete stories, tokens, maps from the campaign is something i honestly haven't done. All useful feedback which I'm sure will improve our game. Thanks again,

Caratacus

Quote Originally Posted by stephan_ View Post
    Disabling lighting (though keeping LoS) made a considerable difference on some maps for me.
    It makes me furious to have to, but I've done the same thing. Otherwise my games are more chore than fun.

I've exhausted all the energy that I care to talking about the performance issues of FGU only to be met with excuses, 'hacks,' and workarounds.

The objective reality is that FGU shouldn't run like a 2003 Nokia phone when DMs and/or players implement the features that were the primary reason for the 'upgrade.' I certainly don't overload my client with thousands of LoS points, but yet the problems persist.

I pre-shared the map last night before my players got online, and that worked great. Unfortunately, as other problems with automation showed up (troubles with targeting and allied NPC automation) we decided to try rebooting everything, and from that point my players again had trouble with the map not completely loading (and no solution to the NPC problems either). I ran with no LOS or lighting, despite the encounter being in an underground cavern complete with many obstacles. Surely there is a solution, or the whole "upgrading" really appears to be "downgrading" play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caratacus View Post
    I pre-shared the map last night before my players got online, and that worked great. Unfortunately, as other problems with automation showed up (troubles with targeting and allied NPC automation) we decided to try rebooting everything, and from that point my players again had trouble with the map not completely loading (and no solution to the NPC problems either). I ran with no LOS or lighting, despite the encounter being in an underground cavern complete with many obstacles. Surely there is a solution, or the whole "upgrading" really appears to be "downgrading" play.
    Please upload your logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caratacus View Post
    That's the campaign data, not the logs. Details on how to compile the logs is available here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information