DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse (announced) plus discontinued books

On May 17, 2022, we will release Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. See the link below for a description. On this date, Volo's Guide to Monsters and Tome of Foes will no longer be available to purchase.

Although MOTM collects and modifies monsters and races from Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, those changes will not be reflected in either of the two older modules. Customers who want the newer versions of the monsters, newer images, newer tokens, races, etc., will need to purchase the new module for Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. If a customer owns both the new module and the old modules, then they will see multiple listings for search results and will need to choose which version they want to use.

The Dungeon Master will be able to use the Allow Content or Block Content flags in the library to turn off or on those options within the Library for any players in their campaigns.

Link to the Monsters of the Multiverse Store Page. It will be LIVE for purchase on May 17th.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...d=WOTC5EMPMOTM

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is going to happen if I own all of the existing content from VGtM and MToF and don't buy MotM?
    A: You won’t need to take any action on older content, as it will not be removed from your account, be hidden from you, or have its statistics changed!

Q: Will I be able to access older content in a campaign?
    A: Yes! If you own the older content that content will still be accessible.

Q: Will I still have access to a character race created using VGtM or MToF?
    A: Yes! If you own that book you will still have access to that race and character. Any existing characters will not be changed with the release of MotM. Those who purchase MotM will be able to update their characters themselves by selecting the new race.

Q: Will the character races in MotM be available in addition to the old versions?
    A: Character races presented in this new book (MotM) are new versions of existing character races. Purchasing MotM will not replace older character races, but rather, will provide new ones with updates compared to the originals. If you want to use the new version of the Tabaxi, for example, you will need to purchase the new book. If you already own a character race that has been updated in the new title, you will continue to have access to them in their current state; that character race will not be changed or updated.

Q: If I want one of my characters to use the new content in Monsters of the Multiverse, but not another, will that be possible?
    A: If your Dungeon Master allows, then yes. Talk to the Dungeon Master running your game. If the game hasn’t started yet, this would be perfect to bring up during your Session Zero.

Q: I built an encounter with monsters from my MToF and VGtM purchases. Will that still be usable after May 17th if I don't buy MotM?
    A: Absolutely! Your previously owned content is not being removed from your account. Your encounter, and the monsters in it, will remain intact.

Q: Will two versions of every monster be maintained in your system?
    A: If you own the old content and purchase the new content, yes, you will have two different versions of official content.

Q: Will I have to purchase Monsters of Multiverse on each digital platform even if I already own Volo’s and Mordy’s? What if I own Volo’s but not Mordy’s and vice versa?
    A: Whatever book content you already own on each digital platform will still be accessible for your use, and to gain access to both the new and updated content in Monsters of Multiverse, you will need to purchase Monsters of Multiverse.

Q: Can I still buy Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes?
    A: Currently, yes. However, both books will be removed from the Marketplace and removed for sale when Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is released on May 17th.
    Last edited by ddavison; May 9th, 2022 at 13:53. Reason: updated with correct link and FAQ

Blog Entries
    Thank you Doug. I've been wondering about how this would be handled and am happy with the approach you have setup. I think it's the exact solution I was hoping for.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Will the Character Creation Wizard display both versions if both modules are loaded? The wizard currently doesn't display 'duplicate' entries from multiple open modules. The only version of the Bugbear that mine currently shows is from Volo's despite both ERFTLW and EGTW loaded. The wizard also doesn't give the option to pick the DMG Variant instead if the DMG and Volo are loaded.

Unless there's some setting for the wizard I'm missing.

A quick question to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Isn't Monsters of the Multiverse also part of the 3 book Rules Expansion gift package that is releasing on January 25th? So it's essentially releasing 4 months later than the initial release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    A quick question to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Isn't Monsters of the Multiverse also part of the 3 book Rules Expansion gift package that is releasing on January 25th? So it's essentially releasing 4 months later than the initial release date?
    I don't think the gift set is going to be available via SW. And yes as far as the digital version(s) of the book are concerned is the answer to your question.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Understandable confusion. Despite being part of the rules expansion gift set. It doesn't release officially on its own until May 17th. https://dnd.wizards.com/products/mon...the-multiverse

They won't allow purchase of just MOTM book until May. They want you to buy the expensive new bundle first coming this month instead, which is really disappointing given many people who would pick this up already have XGTE and TCOE. People like myself will just have to be patient until May

Quote Originally Posted by Dudin View Post
    They won't allow purchase of just MOTM book until May. They want you to buy the expensive new bundle first coming this month instead, which is really disappointing given many people who would pick this up already have XGTE and TCOE. People like myself will just have to be patient until May
    I might just pick up the bundle so I actually have up to date paper versions of XGTE and TCOE with all the errata.

Thanks Zacchaeus, that's what I thought. I find it odd and a bit short sighted that WotC wouldn't provide the gift box set to SW but figured that was the issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibhuk View Post
    Will the Character Creation Wizard display both versions if both modules are loaded? The wizard currently doesn't display 'duplicate' entries from multiple open modules. The only version of the Bugbear that mine currently shows is from Volo's despite both ERFTLW and EGTW loaded. The wizard also doesn't give the option to pick the DMG Variant instead if the DMG and Volo are loaded.

Unless there's some setting for the wizard I'm missing.
    We just discussed this during our developer meeting this afternoon because it is currently broken for several modules in the current form. There is currently a coalescing that occurs, so you don't see duplicates, but there are times when you need to be able to specify which bugbear you want to use. We should have that addressed in time for release in May. My preference will be for you to see a single bugbear in the list of races, but then you would have the ability to override the default source whenever there are multiple sources available. This should also help with any other third party modules that you may choose to run alongside official D&D content.

Thread Information