STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

[Bug Report] Players cannot properly control their allies

Hi there,

after someone asked about it on the Discord, I tried to use Allies in combat myself and ran into issues.

Steps to Reproduce
    1. Create PC
    2. Add PC to the Party Sheet
    3. Add an Ally to the PC
    4. Use the Combat Tracker Menu to "Add PCs"
    5. Use the Combat Tracker Menu to "Add Allies"
    6. Use the "Friendly" icon at the bottom of the CT to move them both to a (properly gridded) map.
    7. Advance turns until it is the Ally's turn
    8. Try to move the Ally around.
    9. Try to perform an attack as the Ally as usual (open up the sheet, drag the attack dice to over a token on the map and drop them)

What should happen
    The player of the PC should be able to move the Ally on the battle map.
    The player of the PC should be able to perform attacks as the ally which get picked up by the combat tracker. The attack should show up as "Ally:" in the chatlog and the result should be compared to the target's Parry and added to the CT for the GM to confirm.

What actually happens
    The player is unable to move the Ally's token around.
    When the player performs an action as the Ally, it shows up as "PC:" in the chatlog. For example, if the PC is called "Alice" and the Ally is a bear, if the player rolls the Claw attack it shows up as "Alice: Bite/Claws" in the chatlog.
    Furthermore, it does not compare the result to the target's parry nor does it show up on the CT.

Additional Info
    When the Ally is assigned a target manually and the player rolls the Ally's attack by dropping the dice in the chat window (not the battle map or CT!), the attack gets processed as normal, though the chat window still shows the PC as the "source" of the attack.
    Last edited by FrodoB; January 14th, 2022 at 12:20.

What do you have set for the Party Movement and Vision option in the Options window?

Regards,
    JPG

Hey Moon Wizard,

I did not have this set, no. I interpreted this post by Ikael to mean that you're able to control your allies even without that option activated.
    When activating the option the player can move their Ally...but that is to be expected because now every player can move any allied token, even ones not listed as "Allies" under their character sheet. I gave a PC the Ally "Bear" on the character sheet and added a seperate "Bull" to the CT and as the player is able to move both tokens, even though the Bull isn't their "own" Ally.

The targeting issue is not changed by that option, though I'm not 100% if that might be a case of "Working as intended, please use targeting".

I can reproduce this.

Rolls made by players from an ally sheet don´t state the name of the allied npc - just the character´s name! I guess this is a bug.

1. The attack roll made by the player from the allied npc sheet shows like [Character Name]: Fighting: Sword.

2. When the same player rolls an attack from any other (non Ally) npc sheet, which was just shared to the player by dragging to character portrait by the gm, the attack roll shows like: [Character Name] NPC Name: Fighting sword.

3. Further, allies can be moved by players on the map only, when party vision and movement is enabled. I guess this is intended and no bug. I think the control of an ally is first of all meant to have access to the npc sheet to make skill/trait tests and attack rolls without the need to share the sheets by the gm.
    Last edited by TomtheBu; January 16th, 2022 at 18:00.

Having the same issues as Frodo and Tom.
    👑 GM for the most Interactive TTRPG show on Twitch, Quests and Cliffhangers.
    📺 Watch Quests and Cliffhangers LIVE every Thursday @ 8pm, Eastern. [Click Here]
    💬 Mention you are from the Fantasy Grounds Forums for Special Treatment.

Yeah this used to work but something changed. Same as blood splats now appearing 30000 miles from the corpse and tokens disappearing off the maps when you approve their move (which happens in 5e as well as SWADE). But those 2 aside (I'll make a post about one of them soon) the Ally used to work.

Testing again whilst tired . Tryed it with party vision switched on and off in options. With shared vs proper entry method.
    So far it works if party vision switched on. Allies on PC character sheets and added to CT. You can either automatically add them on the same action card or drag and drop to their own place on CT as desired.
    So far the attack roll made by the player from the allied npc sheet does indeed appear as [Character Name]: Fighting: Sword
    However rolling from CT will produce [NPC Name]: Fighting: Sword

Will have to take a proper look at this in the next play session.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; February 2nd, 2022 at 06:02.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    However rolling from CT will produce [NPC Name]: Fighting: Sword
    As GM or as Player? I could've sworn players cannot roll from the CT...?

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
    As GM or as Player? I could've sworn players cannot roll from the CT...?
    Indeed, players cannot roll from the CT. You can't properly test the controlling of allies if you're hosting as GM, you need to connect to a hosted session as a player.

Though you can connect to your own session by starting FGU twice if you just want to test it. Not sure if you mean that - just to make sure.

Thread Information