DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 17 First 1234513 ... Last

Thread: Effect Builder

Quote Originally Posted by SoxMax View Post
    I'm releasing the Effect Builder as 1.0.0 today. I've gotten the structure of the code to such a point that adding plugins is possible (I've created 2 already). Also the UI is in a much nicer place.

Going forwards all effects will come from plugins supporting rulesets. But I'll leave the 3.5/PFRPG effects as they currently are in the base extension for other rulesets that benefit and don't have a plugin yet.

You can find the plugins I've created here:
    D&D 5E: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/463/view
    D&D 3.5/PFRPG: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/464/view

Also a big thank you to everyone that started using and providing feedback on the extension already!
    Thanks for this.

I noticed on your 5E skill rolls they are capitalized, IE SKILL: 1 Stealth. This does not work in FGU, it needs to be SKILL: 1 stealth
    This is the same for all the skills.

Nice

What would be the best procedure to produce a plugin with respect to extensions and their new effects? Shall we simply make a pull request on Github for this? We could create a separate plugin for all the 3.5E/PF1 effects also coming from extensions May be better to have a separate plugin for this instead of changing the 3.5E/PF1 one, isn't it? Or could one maybe somehow check for extensions in the existing plugins which checks extensions, and if there is extension X, then it will also show and list the effects of extension X?

Hold on. Might be my end
    Last edited by rhagelstrom; January 19th, 2022 at 17:36.

@MrDDT thanks for the catch on skill names, I pulled them from the ruleset's DataCommon and figured they'd be suitable. I'll add a :lower() before adding them to the combo box in the next version.

@Kelrugem For extension specific effects that was my next task to build an example of that. I was actually gonna use parts of your Extended automation too!
    My thoughts on plugins for extension effects is one of 2 approaches:
    - A stand alone plugin that requires the base ruleset plugin and the extension providing new effects.
    - In the extension providing new effects, check for the presence of the Effect Builder extension and if present, add your new effects.

In both cases you can modify existing bundles by appending new effect editors to the bundle's loader and providing the corresponding editor window/script (like adding the CL effect from Kel's automation extension to the Spell bundle). You could also add whole new bundles if needed by appending to the bundle loader similar to an effect editor loader, and providing the bundle window plus any child editor windows (again using Kel's extension, adding a (Dis)Advantages bundle).

Either way I really should write up some documentation in the readme on github for this.

@rhagalestrom let me know if its a code issue, because of how FGU/Lua is setup its hard to do REAL inheritance and a lot of the connections between extensions are hoping I didn't have typos.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxMax View Post
    @Kelrugem For extension specific effects that was my next task to build an example of that. I was actually gonna use parts of your Extended automation too!
    My thoughts on plugins for extension effects is one of 2 approaches:
    - A stand alone plugin that requires the base ruleset plugin and the extension providing new effects.
    - In the extension providing new effects, check for the presence of the Effect Builder extension and if present, add your new effects.

In both cases you can modify existing bundles by appending new effect editors to the bundle's loader and providing the corresponding editor window/script (like adding the CL effect from Kel's automation extension to the Spell bundle). You could also add whole new bundles if needed by appending to the bundle loader similar to an effect editor loader, and providing the bundle window plus any child editor windows (again using Kel's extension, adding a (Dis)Advantages bundle).

Either way I really should write up some documentation in the readme on github for this.
    Cool, thanks a lot Yeah, an example and some documentation would be really neat (and thanks for considering my extension as part of your example )

I think the second approach, if possible, would be the best approach Should be user-friendlier, then they do not need to load three or more extensions

Looking good!

can you add a clear all button? or new command button?

On the IF commands (and maybe others) can we have the option to add more (not sure what they are called, variables? targets?)... like this for ancestral grudge - IFT: TYPE(elf) and it needs to be (elf,dwarf). add elf then maybe a + or comma button then get a new drop down...

again, nice work

To start with a fresh window just close the current one and reopen it with the chat command, that should set everything back to start.

As for multiple variables, similar applies to DMG and other effects that can have multiple damage types. I plan to get to that eventually but focusing on getting examples of plugins working first so that others can populate the effect editor. I don't think I'll ever be able to capture all the effects of all rulesets and extensions alone.

This comment was in error.
    Last edited by webdove; January 21st, 2022 at 00:29. Reason: false alarm

This comment was in error (it would be nice if I could just delete it).
    Last edited by webdove; January 21st, 2022 at 00:29.

Nifty! I cannot wait for some spell options.
    Last edited by webdove; January 21st, 2022 at 00:31.

Thread Information