Fallout 2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Weapon Specialization & Dexterity Reaction Adjustment

As DM's do you guys

1) allow multi-class fighter PC's (i.e. Fighter/Druid) to Weapon Specialize?

2) subtract dexterity reaction adjustment from initiative rolls?

Blog Entries
    1. No - weapons specialization is for single classed fighters only. That said, there are several kits that allow this to be bypassed; one Fighter kit allows specialization in a second weapon as well, and a Dwarf kit allows specialization to a Fighter/Cleric of a dwarven deity. There may be others.

2. I allow this. If you have Sterno's (IMO essential) extension, there is an option you can enable to have this calculated automatically.
    "Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and the Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it."

John Adams, July 1, 1775

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."

Ronald Reagan

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I've been having a heck of a time trying to make an advanced effect for 2. I thought it would be> INIT: -2; <but it's not working.
    Dex reaction adj modifying Advanced effects coding.jpg

You don't need an effect. Each character having an adjustment to their initiative can reduce the weapon speed(s) showing on their actions tab. If a sword attack normally has a weapon speed of 5, and that characters dex gives it a dex bonus of 2, then reduce the weapon speed of that weapon to 3.

Even in 1E (which doesn't use weapon speeds to routinely modify every initiative roll) I can set them to 0 - and if someone has a dex bonus when attacking with ranged weapons, they can set their bow/javelin/whatever weapon speed to "negative 2".

But I don't think there's a way to modify a single-side initiative for only one character. So I have players with an initiative bonus roll their own individual initiative, for at least the attacks where they get the bonus.

Thanks EOTB, I thought of that as well, just changing the weapon speeds, but I thought I'd try to learn something. I have each PC in the party roll initiative.
    Lol, "Location: teleporting without error"
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Free Sky Days View Post
    As DM's do you guys

1) allow multi-class fighter PC's (i.e. Fighter/Druid) to Weapon Specialize?

2) subtract dexterity reaction adjustment from initiative rolls?
    1) Sometimes.

2) Nope. Not sure where that came from. By the book it's an adjustment to surprise.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Content Bundle (All The AD&D Content)
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    My Twitch Channel for AD&D and FG related streams (See schedule for live days)
    My YouTube for FG related Tutorials and AD&D Actual Plays
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

What conditions warrant "sometimes" for #1?

Can you help with this Celestian?
    I've been having a heck of a time trying to make an advanced effect for initiative modifiers for dex reaction adjustment. I thought it would be INIT: -2; but it's not working.

What conditions warrant "sometimes" for #1?

Can you help with this Celestian?
    I've been having a heck of a time trying to make an advanced effect for initiative modifiers for dex reaction adjustment. I thought it would be INIT: -2; but it's not working.
    They have to be in the CT for any effect to work.
    ---
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Sorry I don't know what the CT is.

Sorry I don't know what the CT is.
    Combat tracker. Where all the npc/pcs are during encounters to show initiative order/etc.

If you had them in (only reason I could figure why it wasn't working) then you have an extension causing a problem is my next guess.
    ---

Thread Information