STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New to Savage Worlds and want to run a campaign on FGU but super confused

Hey guys, I did search the forums before posting and didn't find anything that cleared things up for me, so I am very sorry if this has come up before and I just didn't see it (my Search Fu is weak, I admit).

I bought the SW Deluxe edition (which I guess is 2nd edition?) years ago and have read it but never run it. I picked up SWADE and read it, so I'm aware of at least some of the differences between the two. I own Fantasy Grounds Unity (have used it a lot as a player and once as a GM), and I would like to use it to run a Necessary Evil campaign. I would prefer to use the latest ruleset (SWADE), because I like the changes between it and the earlier edition. I see that SWADE is available for FGU, but will the Necessary Evil, Super Powers Companion, and Adventure Deck extensions work with it? They say things like "requires v3" or "requires v3+", and I don't really know what that means. Is there anything else I'm missing or would need to know about to run Necessary Evil on FGU?

Thanks!

The various companions and settings made for SWD and FGC will work, more or less, in FGU and SWADE. There will be some compatibility issues because of how much FG and the SW ruleset changed since the expansions were released.

I don't own the Necessary Evil or SPC VTTS, but I've run into glitches with other older products. Nothing I couldn't work around, and no game-stoppers. I'd suggest giving yourself extra lead time to experiment and find the glitches before kicking off the campaign.

The Adventure Deck works well enough with SWADE and FGU because it was updated to work with SWADE. I use it in all my FGU/SWADE games. I haven't run into any problems with it.

And, welcome to Savage Worlds! You picked a good first setting.

It should be pointed out that the SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion has reached it "final" version, so should release in PDF and book form soon someone I suspect will adapt it to FGU soon after, that will be the most compatible version (when it arrives)
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thanks, Mike! That's good to know.

How do you work around the glitches? Are there changes you can make within FGU or do you have to edit MOD files or something? Is there a resource of doing these things I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    The various companions and settings made for SWD and FGC will work, more or less, in FGU and SWADE. There will be some compatibility issues because of how much FG and the SW ruleset changed since the expansions were released.

I don't own the Necessary Evil or SPC VTTS, but I've run into glitches with other older products. Nothing I couldn't work around, and no game-stoppers. I'd suggest giving yourself extra lead time to experiment and find the glitches before kicking off the campaign.

The Adventure Deck works well enough with SWADE and FGU because it was updated to work with SWADE. I use it in all my FGU/SWADE games. I haven't run into any problems with it.

And, welcome to Savage Worlds! You picked a good first setting.

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    It should be pointed out that the SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion has reached it "final" version, so should release in PDF and book form soon someone I suspect will adapt it to FGU soon after, that will be the most compatible version (when it arrives)

Things I've run into are missing images and tokens, SWD skills dropped in SWADE, missing SWADE skills on older character sheets, differences in edges and abilities. Sometimes things work differently and may require some tweaking (like powers/arcane backgrounds). I've also seen outright incorrect stats.

Sometimes the items can be updated directly because the mod is editable.

Often it's not editable. In that case, you can make a copy of the npc, pre-gen, vehicle, item, whatever. That copy will be in your campaign, and you can edit it however you like. You may then have to update encounters, character sheets, and such. But it will be the same procedure with them.

Note that recent changes in the FGU combat tracker means that npcs you add to CT are editable from the CT. Depending on what change you need or want, you can drop an npc into CT, tweak it in there, then copy it to create your group. That may not work on game night because it breaks pace, but it's a good-to-know if you need an unexpected encounter with something you haven't updated yet.

It's not difficult, and you may not want to muck around inside the mod file itself. It just takes some time. One great thing about Savage Worlds is that numbers can be a bit off, things may not work quite right, but it usually doesn't detract from the fun or game play. Declare it a quirk or hindrance, roll with it, make it part of the scene. Sometimes the players will think you did it intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    It was released yesterday on DriveThruRPG.

Thanks, Mike! That all makes sense. I picked up the SWADE, Adventure Deck, Super Powers Companion, and Necessary Evil products and looking forward to getting it all together and making it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    Things I've run into are missing images and tokens, SWD skills dropped in SWADE, missing SWADE skills on older character sheets, differences in edges and abilities. Sometimes things work differently and may require some tweaking (like powers/arcane backgrounds). I've also seen outright incorrect stats.

Sometimes the items can be updated directly because the mod is editable.

Often it's not editable. In that case, you can make a copy of the npc, pre-gen, vehicle, item, whatever. That copy will be in your campaign, and you can edit it however you like. You may then have to update encounters, character sheets, and such. But it will be the same procedure with them.

Note that recent changes in the FGU combat tracker means that npcs you add to CT are editable from the CT. Depending on what change you need or want, you can drop an npc into CT, tweak it in there, then copy it to create your group. That may not work on game night because it breaks pace, but it's a good-to-know if you need an unexpected encounter with something you haven't updated yet.

It's not difficult, and you may not want to muck around inside the mod file itself. It just takes some time. One great thing about Savage Worlds is that numbers can be a bit off, things may not work quite right, but it usually doesn't detract from the fun or game play. Declare it a quirk or hindrance, roll with it, make it part of the scene. Sometimes the players will think you did it intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaka99 View Post
    Hey guys, I did search the forums before posting and didn't find anything that cleared things up for me, so I am very sorry if this has come up before and I just didn't see it (my Search Fu is weak, I admit).

I bought the SW Deluxe edition (which I guess is 2nd edition?) years ago and have read it but never run it. I picked up SWADE and read it, so I'm aware of at least some of the differences between the two. I own Fantasy Grounds Unity (have used it a lot as a player and once as a GM), and I would like to use it to run a Necessary Evil campaign. I would prefer to use the latest ruleset (SWADE), because I like the changes between it and the earlier edition. I see that SWADE is available for FGU, but will the Necessary Evil, Super Powers Companion, and Adventure Deck extensions work with it? They say things like "requires v3" or "requires v3+", and I don't really know what that means. Is there anything else I'm missing or would need to know about to run Necessary Evil on FGU?

Thanks!
    Comic book superhero history. It gets complicated

First off we have to clarify that Necessary Evil is not SWADE or even SW Deluxe edition. It is older that both of those and was in fact the original super power rules. The copy of Necessary Evil on FG is a faithful reproduction of the original book. Which does not have the updated information in that was later published.

SW Deluxe edition used the Super Power Companion instead - which had two editions to confuse things more. The update that makes Necessary Evil compatible with SW Deluxe edition was published as a separate book called Necessary Evil Alien Update. It was done that way because the second campaign called Necessary Evil: Breakout! Came out after and was written using the Super Power Companion.

So you need to manually update Necessary Evil on FG to even to get to SW Deluxe edition. If you update it to SWADE you still need all the pinnacle books anyway and there is still a major change in core mechanics of the game to deal with. What you really need is the SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion that includes the SWADE Alien Update. Right now the only stuff in the original Necessary Evil book that is required is the campaign story. Everything else comes from the new SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion.

The ink is still practically wet on the new Super Powers Companion edition so stand by. It will arrive on FG eventually.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; February 27th, 2022 at 07:17.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Thanks for the clarification. That actually makes things make a lot more sense! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    Comic book superhero history. It gets complicated

First off we have to clarify that Necessary Evil is not SWADE or even SW Deluxe edition. It is older that both of those and was in fact the original super power rules. The copy of Necessary Evil on FG is a faithful reproduction of the original book. Which does not have the updated information in that was later published.

SW Deluxe edition used the Super Power Companion instead - which had two editions to confuse things more. The update that makes Necessary Evil compatible with SW Deluxe edition was published a separate book called Necessary Evil Alien Update. It was done that way because the second campaign called Necessary Evil: Breakout! Came out after and was written using the Super Power Companion.

So you need to manually update Necessary Evil on FG to even to get to SW Deluxe edition. If you update it to SWADE you still need all the pinnacle books anyway and there is still a major change in core mechanics of the game to deal with. What you really need is the SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion that includes the SWADE Alien Update. Right now the only stuff in the original Necessary Evil book that is required is the campaign story. Everything else comes from the new SWADE edition of the Super Powers Companion.

The ink is sill practically wet on the new Super Powers Companion edition so stand by. It will arrive on FG eventually.

Thread Information