5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Map creation question

New to Fantasy Ground and been watching various youtube tutorials. But either have not seen or missed what is causing this issue I am seeing / what I am trying to do. Overall 2 different types of issues.

1) On the maps I am working on when I turn on the option for Lighting the maps go to a greyscale and lose their color. Not sure why this is or if expected.
    2) I am trying to create a forest map with a road through it, but figure I am doing something wrong on it, as I have grid size set to a larger size but the character I am testing with can see the whole map. Not sure if I need to add walls or something in or how to best make a map to where the players would be able to see the trees and a little into them but not everything without moving into the trees.

I have attached a screencap of the map I was testing with. Trying to initially use this for an adventure I have already started my group on then probably move to a pre-built while I learn more about how to create all this stuff.

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by abndrew82 View Post
    Overall 2 different types of issues.

1) On the maps I am working on when I turn on the option for Lighting the maps go to a greyscale and lose their color. Not sure why this is or if expected.
    This is likely expected. When you turn on Enable/Disable Lighting you go to "GM View" which allows you to see the whole map even if there is no lighting. You can tell if this is true if you then "Enable/Disable Player Vision Preview" and the entire map goes black.

Basically this map has no lighting on it so it is setup to be a "forest at night" map. And it would be expected the PC's bring their own light sources.

2) I am trying to create a forest map with a road through it, but figure I am doing something wrong on it, as I have grid size set to a larger size but the character I am testing with can see the whole map. Not sure if I need to add walls or something in or how to best make a map to where the players would be able to see the trees and a little into them but not everything without moving into the trees.
    The default for vision with no restrictions is range unlimited. So the players should see the whole map if there is ambient light. If you want to limit vision you have a couple of choices you could just restrict how far they can see or you could add wall and terrain occluders.

Either approach works, but it's a lot more work to add all the walls and terrain occluders.

When my groups first transitioned over to FGU I ran a jungle scenario where the underbrush was so thick I just limited them to 15' vision to simulate that. For my more recent forest maps I have added wall and terrain like in the sample map below.

Edit: Knowing what I know now about occluders and number of points I would probably simplify the tree bases to fewer points like the bushes if I was making a new map - though this map is small so I wouldn't really bother here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Griogre; January 11th, 2022 at 18:27.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will have to read more to understand that first one and how those settings work. But for the second that makes total sense and I can see it working now a I expected by adding some wall objects either around a tree and on the backend of a dense set of trees.

Blog Entries
    If you don't want the players to rely upon darkvision or torches, then you need to add ambient lighting.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information