DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Alternative to Control-Scroll on macOS

It appears that Control-Scroll (with the mouse scroll wheel) is intercepted by macOS and zooms the entire screen in and out, at least in macOS Big Sur. Therefore, I've been unable to use that shortcut to change the size of tokens. I was trying to do this while using the Portals Revamped extension, as I wanted to make portal tokens larger on some maps.

Is there an alternative? This accessibility function in macOS may be enabled by default; I didn't specifically enable it. There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in the radial menu or anywhere else I looked. The FG wiki didn't list another option for Token Scaling.

If not, can an alternative to this action be implemented so that it is available to FGU on macOS.

Could you try control + two fingers swipe up down along the trackpad? I think that worked for me on my mac

In an older version of portals I remember that increasing the size of the token would not matter, it would only activate if you would move on the middle tile where it was placed. So even if you increased the token size, encompassing more then one square would only trigger if the PC's would move in the centre of the tile it was placed on.

Update: just tested it, command + swiping two fingers up and down the trackpad works to scale the tokens
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; January 11th, 2022 at 15:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jaharmi View Post
    It appears that Control-Scroll (with the mouse scroll wheel) is intercepted by macOS and zooms the entire screen in and out, at least in macOS Big Sur. Therefore, I've been unable to use that shortcut to change the size of tokens. I was trying to do this while using the Portals Revamped extension, as I wanted to make portal tokens larger on some maps.

Is there an alternative? This accessibility function in macOS may be enabled by default; I didn't specifically enable it. There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in the radial menu or anywhere else I looked. The FG wiki didn't list another option for Token Scaling.

If not, can an alternative to this action be implemented so that it is available to FGU on macOS.
    I run FGU with several different Macs and I am not having any problems using the mouse scroll wheel with FGU are you using FGC?
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

I'm using FGU (latest updates as of this week) on macOS Big Sur.

I did some more comparison with my other Macs. The Accessibility setting that controls this is off by default on the other two, one on Big Sur and the other on Monterey. This must have been enabled on this computer somehow in the past. I don't remember specifically turning it on, but I've been running the same home directory for enough years that it could have been turned on on a completely different past system.

After I turned the Accessibility setting off, I was able to scale normal PC tokens. I'm on a desktop and don't use a Magic Trackpad, so I didn't try any trackpad swipe gestures.

I still had problems with scaling the tokens I was trying to work with, which happened to be from the Portals Revamped extension. I knew (from watching videos about it) that they could only be modified and scaled when unlocked. I wasn't fully prepared for how quickly/aggressively the extension locks them. Once unlocked, I was able to scale the portal tokens.

Anyway, my immediate problem is solved by turning off this specific Accessibility setting.

I still think there should be an alternative method for scaling. I can imagine that someone may legitimately need to use the Accessibility setting I had errantly enabled — that's why it and other Accessibility options are available in the system. Pondering it, I also think it would make token scaling more discoverable.

I also found @Kelrugem's Custom Shortcuts extension in the Forge. This could provide a different workaround. (The macOS Accessibility setting defaults to the Control key, but can be changed. The FGU shortcut can't without this extension, afaik.)

Blog Entries
    The devs have stated that they don't have control over the key controls specific to each platform. i.e. one reason they chose Unity was that the tools would allow generic control/UI behavior and that Unity would do the conversions to the platform specific comparable.

I suspect Unity or someone might have tools to change the behavior on each platform, but that would probably result in multiple development streams, and therefore defeat one of the main reasons they chose Unity (i.e. to allow cross-platform native applications with minimal impacts to their development and support)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information