5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

5E - StealthTracker

This is an extension for FGC/FGU that tracks Stealth rolls via the effect mechanism in the Combat Tracker. A handful of years ago I was running a game where there were many goblins and I kept losing track of which were hiding and what their stealth roll was... so I ended up creating an extension to help me with it and have been expanding it ever since. I run my games on FGC still so that compatibility is important to me. It works with FGU also and I test on both before releasing any new features to the extension. Sometimes I miss things, so if you find any bugs or have some good feature requests, just get a hold of me or post a reply in this forum thread. Big thanks to all of the great people that have helped me with encouragement, bug reports, and features/enhancements... it's been fun and rewarding to implement the changes.

StealthTracker Features:
    • Track Stealth rolls for PCs and NPCs in the Combat Tracker actor effects (ex. Stealth: 14).
    • On turn of an actor with Stealth effect it displays who sees that actor to the DM in chat. This comparison is based on the actor's Stealth value vs. the Passive Perception of each CT actor.
    • On turn of an actor with Stealth effect it displays all targets that might be caught unaware by an attack to the DM in chat.
    • On turn of an actor it displays who the actor doesn't see to the DM. This comparison is based on the actor's Passive Perception vs. the Stealth value of anyone in the CT with that effect.
    • On an attack (weapon or spell) by an actor with the Stealth effect, the Stealth effect will be expired (or not, configurable in options).
    • On an attack (weapon or spell) by an actor with the Stealth effect, the DM will be notified in the chat if the target didn't see the attack coming.
    • On an attack (weapon or spell) by an actor, the DM will be notified in the chat if the actor can't see the target due to its passive perception being less than the target's Stealth value (it's hidden to the attacker).
    • Option to show or hide StealthTracker information to players in case a game has tower Stealth roll requirements (player never knows what their actual Stealth value is and doesn't see any StealthTracker chat messages).
    • Option for Stealth effect expiration... none, action, or action and round to cover a variety of play styles.
    • NPC sheets will be updated with a Stealth skill if it doesn't already have one when it's that NPC's turn (based on dexterity bonus).
    • DM can drag any Stealth roll (or Dexterity check) result from the chat to a CT actor and it will set the Stealth effect. This is useful when a player rolls a Stealth out-of-turn or out-of-combat or if a Dexterity check is used instead of a Stealth skill check.
    • Works for localized versions of the 5E ruleset as it triggers off of translations for 'Stealth' and 'Dexterity', although, the information text will always be in English.
    • Generic Actions extension Hide action compatibility.
    • '/stealth' chat command for showing Stealth related information to the DM in chat.
    • '/stealth clear' chat command for clearing all Stealth information from the Combat Tracker.
    • Option to allow for out of turn and out of combat stealth processing (default none/off).
    • Stealth results now filter out same faction with option to disable the Faction Filter.
    • Debilitating conditions (i.e. incapacitated, unconscious, etc.) will affect the stealth processing now.
    • Verbose mode option that shows all chat messages when it would otherwise be fairly minimalistic. Also, the ability to turn chat output off completely.
    • Clearing StealthTracker effects on Initiative Clear is now optional, defaulting to on.
    • As I remember other features, I'll update this list with them.
    • Add Passive Perception greater than zero to the valid actor check. Fixed a bug with the proficiency bonus of NPCs being incorrect in fractional cases and probably other cases also.
    • Option (enabled by default) to show StealthTracker summary information after the stealth roll (it happens just after the effect gets added to the CT actor).
    • Considers perception modifying effects during Passive Perception calculations.
    • Option to frame the StealthTracker chat output. Choices are none (default), chat, story (looks like chat but wider), whisper (most noticable).

The Forge version writes to the extensions folder and not the vault, so it's unencrypted in case you need to tweak stuff or look at things. Of course, it's all up on GitHub in case you wanna see things there. Links below!

Current Version: 3.16, get it from the Forge if you are a Unity user (automatic deployment and update with FGU update) or GitHub releases if you are a Classic user (rename the zip to ext and drop in extensions folder). The version history is available at either link, FG Forge or GitHub.

FG Forge Link: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/165/view
    GitHub Link: https://github.com/JustinFreitas/StealthTracker
    Last edited by JustinFreitas; November 5th, 2023 at 17:49.

This is one of my favourite extensions! Double thumbs up!

Oh, and just a heads up, if you're using the Requested Rolls extension you can do a 'hidden result' Stealth Check for all your NPCs on the CT and it hooks into this extension to display the correct Stealth effect on the CT. A very quick way I've found to 'pre-Stealth' my NPCs before combat even starts! And if you also use the Combat Groups Extension you can have a whole map's worth of NPCs 'pre-Stealth'd' and ready to go in hardly any time at all! Great stuff!

Thanks to Justin and all the other extension authors out there for making my DMing so much easier and so much more fun!

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; January 8th, 2022 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    ...if you're using the Requested Rolls extension you can do a 'hidden result' Stealth Check for all your NPCs on the CT and it hooks into this extension to display the correct Stealth effect on the CT. A very quick way I've found to 'pre-Stealth' my NPCs before combat even starts! And if you also use the Combat Groups Extension you can have a whole map's worth of NPCs 'pre-Stealth'd' and ready to go in hardly any time at all! Great stuff!
    Wow... this is good to know! Thanks for sharing your usage findings/tips!

A bug was identified by carrierpl where I mistakenly used gMatch instead of gmatch as a function name. I've issued the fix, made the release, and uploaded the build to Forge. v3.4.4 (and then v3.4.5... gmatch was a mistake entirely... reverted to gsub as was originally before I broke it)
    Last edited by JustinFreitas; January 9th, 2022 at 23:56.

I really like this ext. It is working well. I have only one small point. When I attack from a stealth position, the chat output asks if that should be with advantage when the target has a low pp. By that point the attack has already occurred. It would be better if it asked me that before the attack roll was made. I am not sure that can even be done (off of the targeting? or auto adding ADVATK? Maybe an option?) but I thought I mention it.

No matter what this helps across the boards in so many areas. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    I really like this ext. It is working well. I have only one small point. When I attack from a stealth position, the chat output asks if that should be with advantage when the target has a low pp. By that point the attack has already occurred. It would be better if it asked me that before the attack roll was made. I am not sure that can even be done (off of the targeting? or auto adding ADVATK? Maybe an option?) but I thought I mention it.

That's a great observation. I didn't want to try and trap the roll from happening for a few reasons... but I wanted to alert the DM of the situation where it might possibly be able to take the attack at advantage. If that's the case, the DM can manually ask the player to make another attack roll and resolve the combat by hand. I'll look at the code again to see if there's anything more I can do here but it will likely remain the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinFreitas View Post
    That's a great observation. I didn't want to try and trap the roll from happening for a few reasons... but I wanted to alert the DM of the situation where it might possibly be able to take the attack at advantage. If that's the case, the DM can manually ask the player to make another attack roll and resolve the combat by hand. I'll look at the code again to see if there's anything more I can do here but it will likely remain the way it is now.
    Totally get it. Thanks for the info. I thought an option to allow us to trap the roll might be a compromise.

Totally get it. Thanks for the info. I thought an option to allow us to trap the roll might be a compromise.
    Encouraged by your request, I had another peek and I think I found something that I can work with to trap (or modify) the roll... so gimme some time to think it through and see if I can come up with something. As you suggested, an option to allow for automatic ADV marking in that situation would be nice. I'll shoot for something like that. Thanks again!

This would be a neat option. However, in my game, my players almost never know what their stealth roll is and when appropriate I add the stealth bonus as a hidden effect so they get the adv to their attacks and disadv to attacks on them, but it'd be great if there was a way for the passive perception of the checked creatures to be compared to the stealth roll in the characters CT entry and apply the adv/disadv where appropriate. Though that's probably way outside of what FGU code is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by BushViper View Post
    This would be a neat option. However, in my game, my players almost never know what their stealth roll is and when appropriate I add the stealth bonus as a hidden effect so they get the adv to their attacks and disadv to attacks on them, but it'd be great if there was a way for the passive perception of the checked creatures to be compared to the stealth roll in the characters CT entry and apply the adv/disadv where appropriate. Though that's probably way outside of what FGU code is capable of.
    That should be possible too... not simple, but possible. This other stuff I'm looking at it starting to get tricky... might be a path I don't wanna go down. Need some more time to mess around with it.

Thread Information