STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Got it, thank you!

*proceeds to stumble around*

If you want to play 1e then I say play OSE. You can do basic which is BX or advanced which is 1e ADD. I did the ruleset and developed the tomes. You can try it out for free ad use the SRD on the Forge. If you have a potato computer then OSE will run a lot better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    If you want to play 1e then I say play OSE. You can do basic which is BX or advanced which is 1e ADD. I did the ruleset and developed the tomes. You can try it out for free ad use the SRD on the Forge. If you have a potato computer then OSE will run a lot better for you.
    As it happens, I've been looking at OSE as well

However, I was under the impression that OSE Advanced is not the same as AD&D but rather its own thing similiar to that style... Perhaps I had misunderstood? The main concern being how compatible is it with AD&D modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilator View Post
    As it happens, I've been looking at OSE as well

However, I was under the impression that OSE Advanced is not the same as AD&D but rather its own thing similiar to that style... Perhaps I had misunderstood? The main concern being how compatible is it with AD&D modules.
    Which ever ruleset you decide to pick the Classic DnD modules in the FG shop are designed with 2E in mind (sometimes NPCs from the original module (ex. Basics or ADD1E) might have been readjusted to fit 2E or you might have to do it yourself if you are not happy with the conversion). There s a tool to convert 2E NPCs found in purchased modules to OSE as well.

OSE has a free ruleset and the free SRD includes basics DnD game (kind of red/blue box). Advanced OSE module (not free) allows you to plays very close to ADD1E(added races, classes, levels etc..) while still using the original DnD rules.

OSRIC is free (it includes DM, PHB functions, also has a MM) and is pretty close to ADD1E (you can use it with the free 2E rulesets and adding the free 1E extension to emulate the 1st editions slightly different rules)

2E has a free ruleset but everything else (PHB, DM, MM etc...) has to be purchased (currently on sale)

i don t know anything about 3E, 3.5, Pathfinder 1 or 2, Castle and crusades, DCC or any other post 2E rulesets...
    '
    At the end you can use a 5E modules in OSRIC for example and vice versa... all you need is to adjust NPCs...

Thank you, this has been very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    OSE is not AD&D just like OSRIC is not AD&D.
    No, but one is designed to emulate it and the other is not. So its a range instead of "just like".

If you want to try to make an old school campaign that runs like B/X with stuff used from the AD&D 1E PHB, then OSE is a fine choice. If you want something that runs combat and other game procedures more closely to how they're presented in the core 1E books, the OSRIC modules will be more satisfactory.

All you need for an OSRIC campaign in FG is to start a 2E campaign and then load the OSRIC data modules instead of the 2E book modules.

Keep in mind that the 1E AD&D modules sold here are built to use the 2E modules. So you might have to tweak them (replace monsters in the modules with OSRIC monsters, etc.), and they don't all work with the 1E extension - at least, in a test game I was part of that ran N1 Cult of the Reptile God, the combat tracker only worked right with the monsters built into N1 when the 1E extension was disabled.

Thread Information