FG Spreadshirt Swag

ALIEN RPG How do I add custom fonts?

Hi I am xenotaris and I am wondering how do I add japanese font to the Alien RPG since in my campaign I want to have a japanese colony that is going attacked by some xenomorphs and I don't want them to speak in english, but in japanese kanji and not chinese

Welcome to FG. Since I have both the ALIEN rpg and I speak Japanese, I thought I would try this. I have never tried to type Japanese while in FG. I am sorry to say that it failed. I cannot switch the keyboard to Japanese mode. I wrote a bit of Japanese in a text editor and pasted it. It shows up as squares instead of characters.

The only thing you could do is create jpg images of the text seen throughout the colony to convey the atmosphere. You could do this easily with google translate English to Japanese. Type in Danger and you will see 危険 with the pronunciation below it. Use Windows snip tool to capture the Japanese text as an image.

Oh... I wanted was for my characters to be able to speak japanese with japanese kanji as an alternate language and not have to use the Chinese characters as a substitute. I was hoping some one could show me how to make custom fonts in FGU, But okay
    Last edited by Xenotaris; December 12th, 2021 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotaris View Post
    Oh... I wanted was for my characters to be able to speak japanese with japanese kanji as an alternate language and not have to use the Chinese characters as a substitute. I was hoping some one could show me how to make custom fonts in FGU, But okay
    Hi Xenotaris

You want to be able to write in chat in real Japanese, using the Windows IME and etc. OR just cosmetic replacement of characters as today when a PC is set to speak in Chinese (check screenshot)?

If it is the second option, this is not real Chinese, just character substitution that results in gibberish

Attached Images Attached Images
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

The second option, I just wanted my speech to look japanese while I typed every think in english. Just cosmetically resembling kanji, katakana, and hiragana
    Last edited by Xenotaris; December 12th, 2021 at 09:32.

I never even noticed that there are languages in the ALIEN ruleset. How can FG display those characters? When I type the same characters into a text editor and then copy and paste them, they appear as squares.

I see that there are three languages in ALIEN: Russian, Chinese and English. Why does the Russian language not work? It just produces that English that I entered.

Quote Originally Posted by spoofer View Post
    I see that there are three languages in ALIEN: Russian, Chinese and English. Why does the Russian language not work? It just produces that English that I entered.
    Will check after the next release of the CoreRPG, currently we prepared the ruleset for the new update. I think because I didn't put russian font as I did with the Chinese.

Ok, I get it. You map the English characters to a "Chinese" characters. Actually, they are Japanese characters. But to someone who does not know the languages, they obviously cannot tell the difference. That is a really cool function. I am going to start using it my game.

Suggestion:
    Call the language Japanese, not Chinese, since it is more thematically appropriate with the ALIEN story.
    Shift the mapping so that some of the English characters are mapped onto hiragana. あいうえおかきくけこ etc., and not just kanji 漢字国春東日本.

I am not sure how you get the hiragana... the font contains only kaji and neither hiragana nor katakana characters.
    I am using Chinese language because of the big faction and seeing a mentioning somewhere in the setting that it is one of the major languages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information