DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 8 First ... 45678 Last

Thread: FGU Memory Leak

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    I was wondering when we’d get your update! Haha, it’s okay, I’ve definitely done something like this before.

Looking forward to see if you’re able to find anything as well, but I agree, there’s something off with how RAM is managed. I’ve never used FGC, having come straight into FGU… but when I see videos on YouTube of FGC it just seems so much more smooth and less sluggish.

Anyway, I love FG and really don’t want to have to switch to Foundry (which I’ve tried and the automation just is not there and is a mess of modules/3rd party addons, and no official 5e content.) So, I’m really hoping between both of our findings we can help better the FG platform. I’ll continue to try to gather data, too.

Edit: And yes I know about Roll20, and Astral, and Owlbear.rodeo and everything else, and they all suck. I legitimately want to help FG be the best, as it already is, imo.
    I have no experience with FGC either, but everyone says it runs far better. However, I have no desire to use it because it's trash (not to mention no longer supported) compared to FGU even with the performance issues. I, too, want FGU to be the best it can be because the platform is great and has SO MUCH potential to be the undisputed king of VTTs, but it's not there yet.

I completely agree about the other VTTs; Roll20 is hot garbage. I'd rather not play D&D online at all than use Roll20. Astral and Owlbear serve a purpose to a niche crowd, but they're essentially just a battlemap. That just doesn't do it for me.

Foundry is fantastic and has A LOT going for it, but it also has some major drawbacks. For one, it requires a TON of maintenance for it keep functioning as you expect it to. The ext/mod creation community is basically the Wild West. Stuff has constant conflicts, gets abandoned, and some of the content occupies a legally gray area that I'd rather not be in. Still, if FGU doesn't get its stuff together they're going to eventually lose a bunch of its users (me included) when Foundry matures or another well-backed VTT comes on the scene. Believing that another big-baller VTT is unlikely to happen, is simply naïve.
    Last edited by BushViper; December 15th, 2021 at 17:25. Reason: typos corrected

I gathered some more data after my session yesterday, which lasted just over 4 hours.

I noticed again that, around the 4 hour mark, I started to see lag with visuals (rolling of dice, the map, etc.) However, like before, it was not as bad as it has been. It was still noteworthy though, and I don’t think the session could have gone much longer without it getting unbearable.

I took a screenshot of the memory state of the application from Activity Monitor immediately after loading the campaign, then, 40 min later, after I prepared everything for the session, and then again at the end of the 4.5 hour session. You can see that the memory is going up quite a bit (and a lot of virtual memory usage) but not as bad as it’s been in the past.

I also compiled the logs, this time. Hopefully it is helpful. I haven’t looked much at them, but I do see a lot of Null Reference Exceptions I think to do with images, not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by seansps; January 4th, 2022 at 23:11. Reason: Redacting user name from screenshots

I have another build queued up that has some small improvements to the UI control queueing behaviors and cleanup, based on some memory analysis I did internally. It won't be released for about 1-3 weeks. I'm sure there's more to do; but it should incrementally help once it's out.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I have another build queued up that has some small improvements to the UI control queueing behaviors and cleanup, based on some memory analysis I did internally. It won't be released for about 1-3 weeks. I'm sure there's more to do; but it should incrementally help once it's out.

Regards,
    JPG
    That’s great news! I look forward to testing when released. Thanks for the update!

Hi all, I'm back with another update.

Unfortunately I don't have any data to show for this time, as nothing seemed to stand out. Basically, last night, I had 4 players connected and it was another 4 hour session. Everything was smooth and great until near the 4th hour, I'd say about 3.5 hours in, the session started to get really, really choppy. First thing I did was try to look at the memory usage, but it looked about the same as my previous reports of 4-hours use of memory (4+ gigs used.)

I noticed several things, however.
    1. Immediately I realized some of the lag was due to save lag (the same bug I reported before, that is caused with drawing on the map.). I reverted changes to the map and that cleared that up. But,
    2. It didn't clean up the choppy-ness of the performance.

The lag is generally slow/unresponsive UI:
    - Moving tokens (by clicking, or shift-clicking and dragging) on the map became extremely slow (it was very very hard to move them anywhere.)
    - All dice animations come to a choppy halt (sometimes not even showing up) and then a long delay between the roll and the result. (Player, "Did it hit?" Me: "Sorry... waiting for the lag! It's a.... miss... no hit!")
    - Players reporting difficulty moving on their end as well as graphical issues with the map.
    - Dragging windows is slow and choppy
    - Clicking-and-dragging on a link, it takes a while for the link to show that it is being dragged, so that takes longer too

I am confident that closing and reopening FG will resolve all the lag but I really don't like doing that to players (especially in the middle of a combat) but I will try this next time to confirm.

As before, I was running:
    - Fantasy Grounds
    - Chrome
    - Discord

Curiously, I noticed that as players started disconnecting, my UI seemed to be more responsive again, but I didn't try too much after the end of session.
    Last edited by seansps; January 27th, 2022 at 01:37. Reason: Adding last sentence

I did some analysis last week and found that there was a fair amount of overhead in FoW data. I have the save speed bottleneck fix for FoW in the next release (soon).

Also, @cpinder is currently out of office; but I plan to work with him to see if we can streamline the FoW data, which can get quite large. Small LoS sections such as per bar portcullis or lots of small pillars can exacerbate the situation.

The save impact will occur even for closed maps, since the data is still stored and reloaded; so any edited map with tokens would need to be reverted or tokens removed. The save fix I have in progress will help mitigate the save time but the data can still get large.

Note that the performance impact will remain until FoW is cleared for each token, and closed/reopened. (Or reverted and closed/reopened). This is because the FoW data is preserved in undo states while the image is open as well. (And cleared on close)

More than likely, any changes we make to optimize the FoW will probably reduce the fidelity of the edges slightly to simplify the shape and number of points.

On a related note, extensions that attempt to preserve fog of war between maps may make the situation worse, since the large data sets will be getting duplicated. I recommend turning these off for now.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; January 27th, 2022 at 03:19.

Thanks for the update Moon - that sounds very promising! Looking forward to those optimizations.

Any chance while you guys are in that code you'll add an option to just disable FOW entirely? *hopeful smile*

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    Any chance while you guys are in that code you'll add an option to just disable FOW entirely? *hopeful smile*
    Not a bad idea for the Options section

It's something that's on our near term list; but it requires a fair amount of work in the client to make sure it works correctly and that the network/file serialization is in place. Also, it requires APIs, so that it can be turned on/off in the rulesets appropriately; as well as ruleset code updates to use the APIs. I'll have to wait until @cpinder returns to work with him on it.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information