Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Obviously not, sigh...
    If you're referring to my post; I'm not making a new thread. After seeing how others have been/are treated and the way I have been treated in Discord, I have absolutely no faith that my post will accomplish anything but give another man an opportunity to talk to me like a child.

That's not something I'm in the habit of doing.

Obviously not, sigh...
    Serious question… what would you like him to post? He says he doesn’t know what causes it and it’s something that occurs over time. What useful action would actually be taken from that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    Serious question… what would you like him to post? He says he doesn’t know what causes it and it’s something that occurs over time. What useful action would actually be taken from that info?
    There are a number of things that have been identified that help with performance issues. So if a user is experiencing slowdown, a little bit of information about their campaign (for example: is it using purely module data and maps, or home grown data and imported maps?) How much memory FGU is using when the issue occurs - is that higher than initially, once all of the players have joined and you've opened your first map? And various other items that might come out with a reasonable dialogue. If a specific in game reproducible issue can be found then that's amazing and will help the devs no end in tracking down issues; if not, then hopefully some pointers may help to improve things somewhat. But without an issue being reported and that user being willing to answer a few questions and work with the devs and/or community, not much will happen.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

- Campaign
    - Since when is the "degrading" happening?
    - What exactly is "degrading"?
    - Is it happening every session? Also in maybe other campaigns?

You don't bring your car to repair and tell them: Fix it, it's running bad after driving 100 miles, I don't know what's causing it but you must.

The more information support has, the better support can work, just like corporate life. If you provide no information, support can't help you, that's why several people ask to give as much information as possible.

Exactly. I'd probably get both negged and insulted for 'wasting' people's time.

I don't mind being negged (obviously) for speaking my mind, but the tiny bit of information I'm able to provide isn't exactly actionable. At best, it can help support someone else's, more detailed, problem. After reading the thread that spawned this one and comparing those experiences to my own, I'm absolutely convinced that I am also experiencing the chat-memory leak.

There are a number of things that have been identified that help with performance issues. So if a user is experiencing slowdown, a little bit of information about their campaign (for example: is it using purely module data and maps, or home grown data and imported maps?) How much memory FGU is using when the issue occurs - is that higher than initially, once all of the players have joined and you've opened your first map? And various other items that might come out with a reasonable dialogue. If a specific in game reproducible issue can be found then that's amazing and will help the devs no end in tracking down issues; if not, then hopefully some pointers may help to improve things somewhat. But without an issue being reported and that user being willing to answer a few questions and work with the devs and/or community, not much will happen.
    See, the problem I have with this line of approach is that I only feel like its goal is to provide just enough relief for my current problem so that I'll go away, but it doesn't actually address the underlying problem.

I don't need any help to jury-rig and duct tape my campaign in to a more playable state. I can easily do that on my own. The issue is that I don't want to and I shouldn't have to. There are very real problems with FG and they're not going away no matter how patronizing and rabid the fanboys are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    You don't bring your car to repair and tell them: Fix it, it's running bad after driving 100 miles, I don't know what's causing it but you must.
    To expand on this - people in this analogy (FG users) don't bring their car to a mechanic (where the mechanic has access to the car and can test things); they're mentioning their car has performance issues on a public Internet forum and then expecting a bunch of people to work it out without knowing the actual issue and not being able to answer questions, or get some information about the issue or ask the owner to do some testing. It doesn't matter if it "That's your job. Figure it out." if the people trying to help can't get access to details about the issue - and it isn't the job of most of them who are trying to help - if you post in a public channel (forums, Discord, etc.) then most of the people who respond aren't going to be SmiteWorks employees.

I get it, people are frustrated because issue appearing 2-3 hours into a session are hard to track down and there's no magical fix for someone saying "I have performance issues!" What I've been trying to get across is that things won't be fixed if they're not reported, and guidance can't be provided either (which might at least improve things). I'm sorry if some people have had a hard time with questions before - unfortunately that can be a problem with posting on public forums. I would hope that if both the issue reporter and those who respond are reasoned and calm that things will proceed amicably - if you use these forums the moderators will get involved if it oversteps the mark, and you can always report a post if you have reasonable issues with it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by BushViper View Post
    After reading the thread that spawned this one and comparing those experiences to my own, I'm absolutely convinced that I am also experiencing the chat-memory leak.
    So, you're absolutely convinced that the 10,000 chat entries a minute chat memory leak issue is causing your problems? I'm not ruling anything out, we just need more than anecdotal thoughts and none in-game edge test cases.

If so, please do what I mentioned in the post that you quote in your next post:

How much memory FGU is using when the issue occurs - is that higher than initially, once all of the players have joined and you've opened your first map?

There are very real problems with FG and they're not going away no matter how patronizing and rabid the fanboys are.
    And they won't go away unless people report them and be prepared to at least provide some feedback on your campaign, your memory use, etc.. Otherwise, to use your analogy, all you're doing is pinging a mechanic on an Internet forum and saying "fix my car" - no reasonable person can expect a mechanic to do that without information and two-way dialogue.

So, you're absolutely convinced that the 10,000 chat entries a minute chat memory leak issue is causing your problems? I'm not ruling anything out, we just need more than anecdotal thoughts and none in-game edge test cases.

If so, please do what I mentioned in the post that you quote in your next post:

How much memory FGU is using when the issue occurs - is that higher than initially, once all of the players have joined and you've opened your first map?

And they won't go away unless people report them and be prepared to at least provide some feedback on your campaign, your memory use, etc.. Otherwise, to use your analogy, all you're doing is pinging a mechanic on an Internet forum and saying "fix my car" - no reasonable person can expect a mechanic to do that without information and two-way dialogue.
    No, I'm not convinced that 10,000 chat entries a minute is causing my leak. In fact, I was waiting for someone to broach that question because it doesn't take that kind of extreme activity to cause the problem (leak). Much like Sterno mentioned in the closed thread, I use a lot of extensions that dump a lot of extra information in to the chat window. It's not 10k a minute, but it's a lot and I have absolutely no doubt that it's the problem.

What I am experiencing is EXACTLY what numerous people in the other thread are experiencing.

As to your bolded question, I can't answer that now, but I will when I can.
    Last edited by BushViper; December 1st, 2021 at 01:23.

What I am experiencing is EXACTLY what numerous people in the other thread are experiencing.
    The only thing that was common among those posts were slowdown after a few hours of use. There was no root cause or common underlying issue identified - it was all anecdotal comments without any specific evidence to indicate increasing memory use over time as the issue, and as my commentary in post #6 of this thread shows, some of it wasn't related to chat activity either.

As to your bolded question, I can't answer that now, but I will when I can.
    Yes, please. That would be most appreciated. And please start a new thread specific to your issue. Thanks.

Thread Information