5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    More seriously, you shouldn't have to number the monsters. I think that it is clear that was the developer’s intent. If the players target them then their portrait goes next to the monster being attacked and you can see which monster is being attacked. When the monster attacks he is highlighted and you should be able to pick out the monster which is attacking. This is the theory. Like most theories it does not work as well in practice.
    The numbering does have its upsides and downsides. The downsides are especially pertinent when most of a horde of monsters is lying in wait, and the players happen to come across "Ogre 34" first in their travels.

However, I've found that numbering (or, at least, naming uniquely) the monsters is still necessary to keep straight what's going on in combat. First, we use Teamspeak, and so a lot of our combat management is done verbally, and sometimes my players neglect to click on the target they're attacking. Second, at least one of my players has a tendency to randomly click enemy tokens when it's not his turn due to his propensity to fidget. And third, when dealing with area-effect damage, it's very helpful to be able to have some sense of order among the affected monsters, especially if some of them are affected by saving throw modifiers or energy resistance.

To some degree, though, it comes down to different DMs' styles of management, and I can certainly see how other DMs may not have a problem with unnumbered monsters or may not even need the targeting circles.

It's been 13 years, and I still have this problem!
    Could the developers please make this bright orange, or a setting, or blinking... this seems like an easy feature that many DMs will really appreciate!
    Thanks.

I've been using Celestian's extension "Has Initiative Indicator" to get around this - it overlays a gold crown on top of the token whose turn it is. Very useful. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...has+initiative

Quote Originally Posted by Rexaurum View Post
    that's great!!! thanks!
    The ext that Rades says is great, however, if you really want to have a better toolbox I suggest using this one. Does cost $$.

5e Indicators

Nice. For 6$, I'll try that out.
    Thanks.

Thread Information