DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Two new players looking to throw themselves into D&D 5E looking for recommendations

Me and a friend of mine have always wanted to try out D&D and figured we might aswell go for it rather than wait around till the opportunity comes around. We have never played D&D before but we both understand the core principles and rules and rather than watching more videos and reading guides we thought we should just throw ourselves into one and see how we go.

Is there any recommendations for a campaign where 1 person is the DM and the other is a player? Something that is not too complicated to start up, as well as, easy to stop and start if we have to fish around for extra information?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Dragons of Icespire Peak, which is part of the Essentials Kit, is designed for small parties and new DMs and has rules for sidekicks, so you could easily have one player character with a sidekick and go through the adventure.

IMO, the only problem with the Essentials Kit, is that it has a small subset of the rules in the Players Handbook (i.e. only has rules that go up a few levels) and eventually it will become obsolete to you.

You could also consider Lost Mines of Phandelver and use it with the free included Basic Rules. Te Basic Rules d not include the Sidekick rules, but you could just have the one player run 2 regular characters, though the DM will still need to adapt some.

OR, you and your friend could look to join a game both as players. D&D Adventure's League runs lots of games that are single session, but with "seasons" that keep a constant storyline. As well, you can both look for a game that is looking for 2 players (check out the LFG Forums). FG Academy also has free classes you can take, plus often times games are run through them or advertised there as well.

Good luck! Jump in, and have fun!!!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

This is called a Duet and there is an entire website dedicated to advice for these games: https://dndduet.com/adventures-1-5/
    If you search on the DMsGuild for the word "Duet" you get a decent amount of content for 1-on-1 groups: https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...t=&pfrom=&pto=
    Additionally Matt Colville, a wonderfully encouraging developer, has a video with advice for one-on-one games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJMNkgEqKA&t=10s

The most important advice I can give is do not give in to the temptation to add a "DM PC" which is a companion character run by the DM. Let the player actually be a solo player, it is ok. Some NPCs might be allies from time to time, and that's one thing, but really the game works fine with a solo player.
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; November 20th, 2021 at 06:41.

Will you be playing remotely over the internet using FG? I assume so.
    A check list for you:
    Set up discord or some other voice software and talk to each other through it.
    Decide who will run the game (the dungeon master).
    Look into the different FG licenses and decide what to buy. If not sure, ask on the forums.
    Take lessons on using FG!!! The interface is tricky, but the automation is awesome. Lessons? Where? That would be the above mentioned FG Academy.
    Figure out maps, the combat tracker, the party sheet, targeting, etc.
    Run a combat with one character against a rat or two.
    Post on here look for two or three others. You can request beginners only. (If you want others only.)
    Voila! You have a group!!
    Hold off on buying the books in FG for as long as possible. You can do a lot without them, just using the free rules and content. You will need to buy an adventure. Play that and then if all is good, buy the books in FG.
    Finally, the books go on sale. Wait for a sale.

Thread Information