5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Please add a name to an unnamed object in CoreRPG

Greetings,

This thread is probably for @Moon Wizard, primarily. Jump to TL;DR for the concise request.

And, I hope that it's not the sort of thing that's intended to be added to The Wish List...

Anyway, I'm working on a ruleset that'll be based on CoreRPG, and the layout of the decorative frames for the character sheet make it desirable to alter the positions of the Portrait and Token slightly. Unfortunately, the locale for selecting/dropping the portrait (probably the icon too, but I haven't gotten that far) has a blank frame that is unnamed, and so can't be modified (overlaid?) downstream (upstream?)... So:

TL;DR

In CoreRPG -> campaign/record_char.xml at line 34, could the code for the portrait background (before selection of a portrait):

Code:
    			<genericcontrol>
    				<bounds>-137,21,45,45</bounds>
    				<icon>charlist_base</icon>
    				<disabled />
    			</genericcontrol>
    be modified to have a name attached to it? e.g.:

Code:
    			<genericcontrol name="portrait_base">
    or similar?

Thanks!

- s.west

Just a heads up that while I can do this for CoreRPG and a few others; it is almost universally re-implemented by every single ruleset, since the charsheet is re-implemented by every single ruleset. Just in case that matters...

Also, the portrait base is in place to denote the empty location for a user's portrait to appear, so that they have a visual indication of what to click on to set their portrait.

Regards,
    JPG

I'm not sure I understood the first sentence, but regarding the portrait base, I completely understand that (I think). It's just that, while I can re-define the portrait template (to get it repositioned for my purposes), I can't re-define the portrait base because it doesn't have a name.

So, what happens is that the user would click on the portrait base, get a portrait (placed where I want it), but the portrait base would still be there, as an unsightly leftover, instead of being covered up by the chosen portrait.

Perhaps there's something I'm still not getting about this, however.

- s.west

[edit: Ahh, re-implementing the entire charsheet... yes, I do get that. And, yes, I'm certainly prepared to do that, and it wouldn't be a big problem. So, if that is the preferred answer, that's fine, I get it. Thanks.]
    Last edited by swest; November 10th, 2021 at 03:07. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    I'm not sure I understood the first sentence, but regarding the portrait base, I completely understand that (I think). It's just that, while I can re-define the portrait template (to get it repositioned for my purposes), I can't re-define the portrait base because it doesn't have a name.

So, what happens is that the user would click on the portrait base, get a portrait (placed where I want it), but the portrait base would still be there, as an unsightly leftover, instead of being covered up by the chosen portrait.

Perhaps there's something I'm still not getting about this, however.

- s.west

[edit: Ahh, re-implementing the entire charsheet... yes, I do get that. And, yes, I'm certainly prepared to do that, and it wouldn't be a big problem. So, if that is the preferred answer, that's fine, I get it. Thanks.]
    Regarding line one, what I think Moon is trying to say is that he can make the change, but that the change in CoreRPG will not influence the other rulesets because the other rulesets tend to redefine the entire charsheet. So the CoreRPG change will have little effect, if any, elsewhere. However, he is saying that to determine if that really matters to you. Maybe you only intend to have the "thing you are building" work in coreRPG.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    Regarding line one, what I think Moon is trying to say is that he can make the change, but that the change in CoreRPG will not influence the other rulesets because the other rulesets tend to redefine the entire charsheet. So the CoreRPG change will have little effect, if any, elsewhere. However, he is saying that to determine if that really matters to you. Maybe you only intend to have the "thing you are building" work in coreRPG.

Jason
    Yep. Got it. And, yes, I have a feeling that I will end up redefining the entire thing anyway, so the point is taken.

Thanks,

- s.west

This is in the Test channel now.

Note: You should avoid redefining "charsheet". If your extension is supposed to work across multiple rulesets; you would have to account for that somehow in the extension; otherwise, all the built-in rulesets should have the change.

You never mentioned what ruleset(s) you are building for; so it's really hard to answer your question...

Regards,
    JPG

Well if that is true, I have some contacts he should talk to.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    This is in the Test channel now.

Note: You should avoid redefining "charsheet". If your extension is supposed to work across multiple rulesets; you would have to account for that somehow in the extension; otherwise, all the built-in rulesets should have the change.

You never mentioned what ruleset(s) you are building for; so it's really hard to answer your question...

Regards,
    JPG
    Now I am confused! I thought, above, that you said: "... it is almost universally re-implemented by every single ruleset, since the charsheet is re-implemented by every single ruleset."

So... re-implement is not redefine? I have been making progress on doing exactly that, as it turns out.

Anyway, yes, I'm actually working with the Palladium guys to do an 'official' ruleset for RIFTS. I'm off to a slow start, but I think that I'll be picking up speed a little bit every day (as I add, or as damned provides me with, items to the my knowledge-base and repertoire : - )

I think that RIFTS is going to be a particularly knotty challenge, but we'll see.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    He is building (very ealy days) a RIFTS ruleset.
    Ive put it out there now swest you are committed now!
    Oh, there's no doubt. I will be committed (in the psychiatric sense) before this is all done. So keep the Intervention phone line handy in case it becomes necessary.

- s.west

Thread Information