Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    372
    Blog Entries
    5

    Adjusting number of wounds on wild cards

    Is there a way to adjust the number of wounds on NPC's? I know the wild cards get three and extras get one. I would like to adjust this number if possible. I know you can adjust the size of the creature and that affect the number of wounds, but is there a way to keep it's size and adjust the number of wounds it can sustain?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

    And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

  2. #2
    Hi Niles, you have two options to adjust the number of wounds on npcs.

    1. Resilent and Very Resilent Abilities (access via Sidebar-Abilities). These abilities are used to create stronger extras. Wildcard canīt be resilent or very resilent per SWADE Rules.

    2. You can create a custom Ability within the Special Abilities Section of the NPC with the Coding [Wounds Threshold = x] or [Wounds Threshold +/- x] where x can be any number, I guess.

    Hope this helps
    Last edited by TomtheBu; November 7th, 2021 at 14:18. Reason: additional infos

  3. #3
    Per the Wiki, you can create an Effect DAMAGETYPE ASSIGN, for example [Wounds = 3] to set the Wounds Threshold to 3 or DAMAGETYPE MOD to adjust the Wounds Threshold. For example, if you wanted to take a stock NPC Wildcard and reduce his Wounds Threshold to 2 it would be [Wounds -1].

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    Per the Wiki, you can create an Effect DAMAGETYPE ASSIGN, for example [Wounds = 3] to set the Wounds Threshold to 3 or DAMAGETYPE MOD to adjust the Wounds Threshold. For example, if you wanted to take a stock NPC Wildcard and reduce his Wounds Threshold to 2 it would be [Wounds -1].
    Of course, you can add this as an effect in the CT, too. But the correct coding must be [Wounds Threshold = x] to define the wounds total of an NPC or [Wounds Threshold -/+ x] to reduce or increase the wounds of a NPC, where x is the number of wounds to adjust.

  5. #5
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    372
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks! This works. I was wanting to do a new style of combat where I didn't use any bennies at all to soak wounds on my monsters but would allow my players to soak theirs. But I needed a way to up the wound threshold on the NPC's so they wouldn't cut through them like a knife through butter, and combat would get sped up.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

    And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

  6. #6
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    372
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheBu View Post
    Hi Niles, you have two options to adjust the number of wounds on npcs.

    1. Resilent and Very Resilent Abilities (access via Sidebar-Abilities). These abilities are used to create stronger extras. Wildcard canīt be resilent or very resilent per SWADE Rules.

    2. You can create a custom Ability within the Special Abilities Section of the NPC with the Coding [Wounds Threshold = x] or [Wounds Threshold +/- x] where x can be any number, I guess.

    Hope this helps
    For some reason, it's not letting me increase the wounds beyond 4 or 5. I'm setting the wound threshold at 8 and it's only giving me 4 or 5 depending on the size of the creature. Is this all tied in to the Resilient and Very Resilient abilities or can you literally set the wounds to any number you like?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

    And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

  7. #7
    Resilient and very resilient are abilities to create stronger extras and I am not sure if they stack with other effect code adjusting the wounds threshold of creatures. It was just a guess, that x can be any number.

    Did you try to adjust the wounds threshold of a very big creature with both [wounds threshold +x] or [wounds threshold = x] ?

    Maybe then, the maximum number of wounds is somehow tied to the creature size and defined by the SWADE Ruleset and can't be overwritten by other Code? I think Ikael can give a clear answer to this.
    Last edited by TomtheBu; November 10th, 2021 at 19:11. Reason: syntax

  8. #8
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    372
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheBu View Post
    Resilient and very resilient are abilities to create stronger extras and I am not sure if they stack with other effect code adjusting the wounds threshold of creatures. It was just a guess, that x can be any number.

    Did you try to adjust the wounds threshold of a very big creature with both [wounds threshold +x] and [wounds threshold = x] ?

    Maybe then, the maximum number of wounds is somehow tied to the creature size and defined by the SWADE Ruleset and can't be overwritten by other Code? I think Ikael can give a clear answer to this.
    Hi Tomthebu, no I didn't try to do both codings. I will try that.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

    And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

  9. #9
    Hi Niles,

    I tested a bit with the Dragon NPC Creature from the SWADE Ruleset and added it to the CT also adding a custom Ability called Wounds Threshold [Wounds Threshold +5] wich gave the Dragon a total of 10 wounds (3 from Wildcard, 2 from Size and 5 from Wounds Threshold) before getting incapacitated. The same worked with adding [Wounds Threshold =10] instead.

    I didnīt try to combine with resilent or very resilent abilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TomtheBu; November 10th, 2021 at 19:09. Reason: adding picture

  10. #10
    Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    372
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheBu View Post
    Hi Niles,

    I tested a bit with the Dragon NPC Creature from the SWADE Ruleset and added it to the CT also adding a custom Ability called Wounds Threshold [Wounds Threshold +5] wich gave the Dragon a total of 10 wounds (3 from Wildcard, 2 from Size and 5 from Wounds Threshold) before getting incapacitated. The same worked with adding [Wounds Threshold =10] instead.

    I didnīt try to combine with resilent or very resilent abilities.
    Hey, it did work for you! It still caps it for me though. I am using Classic and not Unity, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thank you for testing that. I just tested it again and it still caps at 5. Even put the brackets around the coding and everything. I don't know what's going on on my end.
    Last edited by Niles; November 10th, 2021 at 20:40.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

    And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Log in

Log in