FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I didn't want to derail this thread. I appreciate the advice but I had already considered these things. I don't enjoy switching between websites and FG the same way I dislike looking back and forth between a book and FG. I want to be able to open FG and just read my books and plan my games there. I like to sit on my couch with my gaming laptop and just plan out my sessions or read the new content. It's just what I like and I can understand that it may not make sense to you but this is what I like. Since this thread was about the status of the GM Guide I was making a note here that not having it affects my willingness to buy the game line.

As for automation... The optional rules in the DMG are not implemented in FG by default. If I want Sanity or Honor for instance, I have to use an extension for them. It's not just about automation for me. I am willing to run games without high levels of automation using FG. My intent when choosing a VTT is that I wanted a single program that had everything in it both for use in online gaming during the pandemic and for when I start running in person games again. At the time it was a choice between Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. I didn't consider Foundry since their 5e support looked like it was based on piracy. The deciding factor for me was that Roll20 didn't consider the DMG necessary for running games since they had the SRD content in the program already. Fantasy Grounds had the DMG. So I went with FG. Once I had purchased my books in FG I sold my physical copies to a local bookshop. Now I only buy 5e stuff if it is for FG. I would like to do the same for Pathfinder 2e. My priorities when deciding to purchase a game line are in this order: 1) Are the books I want to have in my library available? 2) Does this make running my game easier?

While I feel I may be an edge case, there is always the possibility that I am not. As a note I have the same issue with M&M 3e. Several books I consider essential for me buying into the game line are not available in FG. I really want to be able to replace my whole book collection with FG.

On a technical note, I am a .Net fullstack web developer. I am curious what makes the automation take so long to implement in the products if you are allowed to explain?
    Last edited by Rzach; November 13th, 2021 at 18:48.

Rzach, I'll let Trenloe handle the technical side of things, but I can toss in some thoughts from my perspective.

When PF2 was first coming out, I knew it was a big ask to have all that content developed, tested, and implemented so I just took the bull by the horns, so to speak. First with the Bestiary, then with the Drag-n-Drop stuff (I still work on when I can). If you go out there, you'll find others doing equally great projects to help bridge some gaps while we wait for "official" releases.

Honestly, if I had the desire that you have to see the GM Guide get done, and the technical skill capable of doing it, I'd consider just pitching in as a community member and getting some workable version of what you are looking for. What's amazing about this place is that you can seek advice, find aid with various technical hurdles, and get great feedback from the members here. Speaking from experience, it really does go a long way to making the effort worthwhile.

Not only will you likely get to where you want to be, but you'll feel pretty good about contributing to the ruleset and the community at large. It's super easy to pop in the OGL license and share it.

Give it some thought and be sure that you'll have plenty of people excited to see what you can come up with.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Rzach View Post
    I didn't want to derail this thread. I appreciate the advice but I had already considered these things. I don't enjoy switching between websites and FG the same way I dislike looking back and forth between a book and FG. I want to be able to open FG and just read my books and plan my games there. I like to sit on my couch with my gaming laptop and just plan out my sessions or read the new content. It's just what I like and I can understand that it may not make sense to you but this is what I like. Since this thread was about the status of the GM Guide I was making a note here that not having it affects my willingness to buy the game line.

As for automation... The optional rules in the DMG are not implemented in FG by default. If I want Sanity or Honor for instance, I have to use an extension for them. It's not just about automation for me. I am willing to run games without high levels of automation using FG. My intent when choosing a VTT is that I wanted a single program that had everything in it both for use in online gaming during the pandemic and for when I start running in person games again. At the time it was a choice between Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. I didn't consider Foundry since their 5e support looked like it was based on piracy. The deciding factor for me was that Roll20 didn't consider the DMG necessary for running games since they had the SRD content in the program already. Fantasy Grounds had the DMG. So I went with FG. Once I had purchased my books in FG I sold my physical copies to a local bookshop. Now I only buy 5e stuff if it is for FG. I would like to do the same for Pathfinder 2e. My priorities when deciding to purchase a game line are in this order: 1) Are the books I want to have in my library available? 2) Does this make running my game easier?

While I feel I may be an edge case, there is always the possibility that I am not. As a note I have the same issue with M&M 3e. Several books I consider essential for me buying into the game line are not available in FG. I really want to be able to replace my whole book collection with FG.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my earlier question and give feedback on what you're looking for. It's always good to hear the point of view of other people so we can adjust our perspectives.

On a technical note, I am a .Net fullstack web developer. I am curious what makes the automation take so long to implement in the products if you are allowed to explain?
    I'm not sure if you're aware - none of the people working on the PF2 ruleset or DLC products are employed full time by SmiteWorks. We do all of our development outside of our day job, and the only way we get paid is via product sales commission. Therefore, we don't spend 40+ hours a week working on FG. Plus, implementing automation is not a quick and easy task - it needs ruleset coding adjustments, product data conversion to FG, then hand coding of automation in the product - while also keeping backward compatibility with the 60+ products that already exist and the hundreds of PF2 campaigns that are ongoing. None of this is simple and quick, I wish it was but it isn't.

We make decisions based off how much free time for FG conversions we have outside of "real life", product pipeline, planned future features/functionality, changes to Core FGU, and when it comes down to it - what we want to spend hundreds of hours of our free time working on. Sorry that the Gamemastery Guide hasn't been converted yet - we don't want to release a $50 product that isn't good quality without the optional rules automated; whereas some people might not care about automation, others do and expecting FG users to spend $50 (or $35 if they already own the PDF) for a bunch of reference only data and 30 something NPC records isn't something that I feel is right. Taking all of this into account, and the fact that the NPCs are available in a free OGL community module, the Gamemastery Guide is not at the top of the development list at this time; that will change when more functionality is in the base ruleset and we've caught up with some higher priority development/conversion tasks.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 15th, 2021 at 16:47.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Monster and Item Creation, Generic NPC stat blocks, World building systems...
    There's a mod on here that somebody made that has all the NPCs from the GMG. I use it all the time.
    Also, there's a site. I think it's monster.pf2.tools that is point and click, dropdown menu. And it will give you a text output of an NPC that can be dropped into FGU and parsed into a creature record with little to no effort.
    Just my bit of input on the topic.

Rzach,

I have been running Pathfinder 2E Campaigns since the CRB was available.
    I have since run 3 games with my players every weekend for over a year. ShadeRavens Modules, Trenloes direct help via questions answered (on how to do things) and a few extensions are all you need.
    I can personally testify that the Gamemastery Guide is NOT needed. Everything you need which is IN that guide is available to you (for FGU) in one way or another.
    (+2 coppers)
    Ultimate License holder Unity & Classic.
    Currently GM'ing Homebrew Pathfinder 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    There's a mod on here that somebody made that has all the NPCs from the GMG. I use it all the time.
    Also, there's a site. I think it's monster.pf2.tools that is point and click, dropdown menu. And it will give you a text output of an NPC that can be dropped into FGU and parsed into a creature record with little to no effort.
    Just my bit of input on the topic.
    Yes its Gamboa's module and its extremely helpful. I use it nearly every game and modify his NPC's for various leaders.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ery-Guide-NPCs
    Ultimate License holder Unity & Classic.
    Currently GM'ing Homebrew Pathfinder 2.

Thread Information