STAR TREK 2d20

Fog and Line of Sight

Hey, All.

I am interested in using fog as an environmental hazard, reducing line of sight. Is there any way to do this in Fantasy Grounds Unity?

I know that I can add a fog effect, but my tests have shown that it doesn't actually impede vision. Is there something I am mission?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    FX do not impact LOS or vision. There are several vision effects you can use to limit sight distance, but you have to apply them to the PC on the combat tracker and turn them on and off manually. See VISMAX and VISMOD; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Vision+on+Maps

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There is a hallway in Castle Ravenloft that is filled with vision inhibiting mist that I used terrain boxes to mimic the effect. I essentially made rectangles of terrain 10 to 20 feet long each and just stacked them side by side. That way, the player can see into the coming area/direction they were moving, but not beyond it.

Other than that, you can just put mist on the map and artificially modify everyone's vision to some maximum using "VISMAX: 10" or some other distance.

Thanks, guys.
    I like the VISMAX option and will explore that.

An option I did in a deep jungle senario with very short vision was to just give everyone 10' truesight. It work out very well. I would also use that in a fog scenario though using 10' darkvision.

I would be interested, weather this topic is on the Devs list, because I think it's still a thing. If you have an environmental effect on a map, you can use terrain boxes like Dudin mentioned. I tried this out myself. I works somekind, but there are weird LOS lines with this and you can't kook diagonally.
    Also this would be tedious to implement, if you want to simulate temporary effects like spells that appear and disappear.

What I'm trying at the moment is a combination of an aura effect (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/32/view) and illusionary walls. Let's say you have an 20 Feet radius fog effect like stinking cloud. I use an invisible npc dummy with the effect AURA: 20 all; Obscured; VISMAX: 5
    This works fine. As soon as a player walks inside the radius it's vision is reduced. Then I use an illusionary wall in form of a circle (here radius nearly 20) to block the line of sight into the fog. This also behaves a little bit strange on the edges of the effect, but it's the best I can coem up with at the moment.
    Additionally it's it's quiet easy to implement. To make this perfect it would need an illusionary wall that works like an one-way mirror. So you could look out from the inside.
    Fog_with_terrain.png
    Aura1.png
    Aura2.png
    Aura3.png
    Last edited by Keijdn; October 30th, 2023 at 14:14.

According to what you are saying regarding the AURA and the effect, it appears to be working as expected. You state that you have a VISMAX:5 effect on an aura, which is not a standard feature but part of an extension. It looks like it is correctly applying the VISMAX effect once the token is inside the illusionary wall. Since an illusionary wall blocker blocks line of sight and the VISMAX kicks in within the circle, it looks like expected behavior. There are no one-way wall line-of-sight blockers.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keijdn View Post
    I would be interested, weather this topic is on the Devs list, because I think it's still a thing.
    I don't think it was ever requested to be put on the Dev's list. If you would like to, you can put it on the feature request Wish List. You can create your own request if I'm wrong and this is already on the list. While you are there, take a few minutes to vote on other ideas of importance to you.
    Idea Informer » Feedback 2.0

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks, LordEntrails, I will take a look.

@Moon Wizard: Yes, Aura Effects is an Extension from the Forge (Quiet a useful one, I must say).
    But the behaviour of the whole combination is not perfectly like what I wish it to be :-)
    In the picture Aura2 you can see, that you can't look out of the circle. Ideally you would always have 5 feet view range as long as you are affected (inside the fog).
    Additionally I encountered synchronisation problems, while testing this setup with host and client. Originally, I used the players view on the host to test it. This worked good.
    Unfortunatly, as I'm using two totally different features here (walls and aura effects), they don't get together on the client totally synchronized. If you enter the circle, the effect can
    come slightly delayed, so, that for a short moment, you can see inside the circle and would probably spot visible tokens there for a split second.
    I will test this further to see if it's dependend on the latency.

Understood; but I was just clarifying that this is working as expected using the components that you put together. You can vote for a one-way wall line-of-sight blocker on the wish list in my sig.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information