STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

OSE Classic Fantasy SRD *free*

This thread is for feedback and updates regarding the OSE Classic Fantasy SRD on the Forge.
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/200/view

As there was some confusion about the SRD and the Advanced Fantasy Tomes, let me explain a few things.

The SRD is based upon Old School Essentials "Classic Fantasy Rules" - effectively a B/X Retroclone.
    You will find the following Classes (Class=Race) and their Spells, Equipment and all of the NPCs from the SRD in the Module on the Forge.

• Cleric
    • Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Fighter
    • Halfling
    • Magic User
    • Thief

The "Advanced Fantasy Tomes" expand on all that and add MORE Classes, Race Options, Monsters, Magic Items, etc.
    Also the complete rules of OSE are only included in the tomes, the SRD-Module is pretty barebone.
    When i started this, the OSE Ruleset wasnīt even officially released and there was no content to fill it with (things moved very quickly since then).
    Now itīs more some kind of "preview" to play around with the Ruleset.
    I will continue to work on this, add stuff from time to time and keep it up to date with the Ruleset.

If you want the whole package (and MORE) and support the various developers as well as Necrotic Gnome, i suggest checking the official content on the Forge.
    Last edited by AlterZwerg; October 29th, 2021 at 11:36.

This feels like it's been necro'd but wanted to know why there is no "complete" Basic Rules Tome or does all the functionality of Basic appear in the paid Advanced Tomes?
    Like is Race/Class an option that one can opt out of, etc. ?

Yes your question is the answer. Advanced contains all of the information it's up to you as to whether you allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    Yes your question is the answer. Advanced contains all of the information it's up to you as to whether you allow it.
    So I can run a Basic Rules game with Advanced, is what I’m hearing.

Yes of course. It is up to you. You can read NGs description of what is in the Advanced Tome. Scroll down about half way down his page.

https://necroticgnome.com/

The conversion is an adaptation of the actual hardback book.

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    Yes of course. It is up to you. You can read NGs description of what is in the Advanced Tome. Scroll down about half way down his page.

https://necroticgnome.com/

The conversion is an adaptation of the actual hardback book.
    I meant how Fantasy Grounds handles running Basic content using the developed Advanced Ruleset. That's what I was getting at.
    I didn't read any mention of it in the Forge description and there are two entries of OSE rulesets (one free, the other paid) which is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitched View Post
    This feels like it's been necro'd but wanted to know why there is no "complete" Basic Rules Tome or does all the functionality of Basic appear in the paid Advanced Tomes?
    Like is Race/Class an option that one can opt out of, etc. ?
    I think you confuse rulesets and modules.
    The RULESET handles both basic/classic and advanced tomes/content and you can choose wether you want to use Race/Class in your campaign or not.
    To use it, you need the modules containing either the SRD or the Advanced Tomes content from the Forge.

The Tomes bring you more content than the SRD, of course.

When i created my version of the SRD, there was no talk of the Advanced Tomes being converted, so i just went on to give OSE some content for people to play with.
    Originally i planned to expand the module over time, but then the Advanced Tomes hit the Forge and i had some other things to deal with over the past year so time was short and there was no need anymore to add stuff thatīs already available.
    Thatīs why thereīs no "complete" basic tome as everything from there and more is in the Advanced Tomes.

Nowadays, thereīs even an offical SRD that comes with the Ruleset, making my module somewhat redundant.
    I leave it where it is for those that created campaigns with it else i break their stuff by removing it.
    Last edited by AlterZwerg; October 19th, 2022 at 11:17.

Question for the FG rule developer. I notice that the monsters when added to the Combat Tracker have the "average" Hp attached. I know that I can change them but would there be any way we could get a toggle in the settings to have average or random HP rolls? This could help speed up random encounters some because I personally find it unrealistic for all opponents to have the same HPs where my players have to roll for theirs. Thanks

You can already do that if you use encounters to add NPCs to the CT. You can set each cohorts HP and it will override the NPC record. This lets you prep ahead of time.

What about a random on the fly encounter? Would be nice to just let a random Hp generator do it. Many systems in FG have this already. And btw I know it takes work to modify this stuff so if it is not possible, too much work etc I am ok with what we have but an addition would be nice.
    Last edited by Merell; January 25th, 2023 at 14:39.

Thread Information