FG Spreadshirt Swag

Fantasy Grounds Unity Lag - worse during map actions

Updated to the latest version. All of the clients that connected to me - did not produce a mismatch version message, so I can only accept that they are all current as well. Of the clients, most run the demo version, with a couple having bought the standard version (or whatever the non-Ultimate version is), and one more having Ultimate. There are eight people. Me (the GM/host) and seven players.

Version 4.1.10 Ultimate ran through Steam.

I've two other reports, yet they seem to indicate that the issue should have been resolved during a recent patch and were from September, and I didn't want to resurrect the threads.

Summary: I have a campaign that has been run weekly for about half a year now. I noticed some lag over the past month when we'd have a battle starting to run long on a map, but tonight it was severe. Characters moving across the map made it seem like a slide by slide power point presentation. Attack rolls would take almost a minute to display the results. Restarting didn't seem to help. So I came to the forum and noticed the couple of recent reports mentioned above in the forum.

Ruleset(s): 5e ruleset

New Campaign / FGC Migrated Campaign: New Campaign

Extensions/Themes: FG Simple Brown, Curse of Strahd decal

Modules Loaded: I've a lot of modules purchased for the game, 11 pages worth when viewing what I can activate, with probably 8 pages worth loaded. All obtained through Steam or FG and installed and maintained through the FG Updater. I'm used to it taking a good 15 minutes to load, however, after that I usually have no issues with lag, until recently.

Operating System / Language Setting: Windows 10, English

Steps to Reproduce: Map is mentioned in the issues. The map is at the end of combat. It had another Chimera on the map that was removed after it was killed. I've read how you want the campaign folder, so I've zipped and it can be found here (too large to attach): https://mega.nz/file/wx9ASJDT#Ey8x57...txvZeN9Pa8QGPw

Issue:
    Map being used was the Forest Clearing from the AAW Games Map Pack volume 4.
    I turned off the lighting, LOS and token lock - none of those actions seemed to help.
    We used the distance arrow marker, and the circle radius marker during the combat.
    No lag was experienced at the start of combat, but about 15-20 minutes in, it was at its worst.

Thanks for the information. Can you please let me know which windows that you had open at the time you were running the game?

Also, you should probably unload some of the modules that you are not using; as 86 modules loaded will put a strain in some scenarios. You should only be loading the adventures that you need for that point in the campaign.

Regards,
    JPG

You are running through the steam launcher. Do you have the Steam overlay turned on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Thanks for the information. Can you please let me know which windows that you had open at the time you were running the game?

Also, you should probably unload some of the modules that you are not using; as 86 modules loaded will put a strain in some scenarios. You should only be loading the adventures that you need for that point in the campaign.

Regards,
    JPG
    I had the map I mentioned in the original post open, another image of the baddie they were fighting, the Battle tracker, 3 notes, and I opened and searched for a spell someone used that was new in the spell list. Near the end of it, after the lag was already in effect, I also opened the Party screen to add the xp reward entry. Pretty standard stuff for an encounter.

You mention reducing adventure modules. Is there a way to partially load content from them? The hundreds of dollars I've spent on adventure modules has solely been for their maps. We've only ran part of one adventure module (Curse of Strahd), with the others all having been obtained solely for use of their maps, as our campaign is a custom open one, where map variety goes a long way to keeping things interesting. Disabling adventure modules and losing out on their maps, makes them a wasted purchase otherwise. Although I'd at least save the money I would have dropped on some in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    You are running through the steam launcher. Do you have the Steam overlay turned on or off?
    It was set to on. I've now disabled it, and should be able to see come a Saturday planned session if this helped or not.

We were all experiencing the lag. So, I'm guessing you'd recommend that everyone ensures the overlay is off, correct?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewguru View Post
    You mention reducing adventure modules. Is there a way to partially load content from them? The hundreds of dollars I've spent on adventure modules has solely been for their maps. We've only ran part of one adventure module (Curse of Strahd), with the others all having been obtained solely for use of their maps, as our campaign is a custom open one, where map variety goes a long way to keeping things interesting. Disabling adventure modules and losing out on their maps, makes them a wasted purchase otherwise. Although I'd at least save the money I would have dropped on some in the future.
    You don't need to have a module open in order to use it's maps. They wont show in the images list, but they will show up in the Assets list, were you can then turn them into a campaign image as needed.

Something to consider, I use lots of "Development" campaigns to prep for may "live/play" campaigns/sessions. In these development campaigns I will have dozens of large modules loaded (MM, Volo, Monsters of the Guild, etc) that have maps, NPCs and items. Then after I've prepped the next session or two, I export it to a module and then just open that module in my live/play campaign. It keeps my list of items, NPCs and maps manageable, and helps with load times and performance.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Just wanted to say that I went and uninstalled most of the adventure modules.

About 3 hours into our session, we ended up hitting serious lag on a map mid combat.

Had folks disable their Steam screen overlay (for those launching through Steam) - no change.

Instead of fully restarting, I had everyone close the map, I closed it myself, and then I opened and re-shared the map. Everything started working normally again.

Encounter was on forest_road_2 from the AAW Games Map Pack volume 4. 8 player tokens versus 12 enemy tokens. Encounter used some arrow, cone and box drawings.

I can repost another folder if I need to do so.

If you can recreate the map with the tokens on it roughly, and provide the example campaign; I can forward to our image developer to see if he has any ideas.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you can recreate the map with the tokens on it roughly, and provide the example campaign; I can forward to our image developer to see if he has any ideas.

Regards,
    JPG
    I've reset the map pretty close to how it was. And since this was our Saturday Night campaign (different campaign than our Wednesday one), I'll provide the details relevant to it as well.

Ruleset(s): 5e ruleset

New Campaign / FGC Migrated Campaign: New Campaign

Extensions/Themes: D&D Theme, Tyranny of Dragons decal

Modules Loaded: Compared to the originally posted report, I have since then unloaded most of the adventure modules for this campaign, with only 3 being active when I viewed my library. We're running Tyranny of Dragons on for this campaign, Rise of Tiamat and the Tactical Adventure Maps are the other two loaded.

Operating System / Language Setting: Windows 10, English

Steps to Reproduce: Map is saved in position 6 of the quick bar at the bottom. This combat was NOT the first map use of the night with tokens. The lag appeared for everyone a little past 3 hours into our session. Outside of the module (position 4 on the quick bar), other things I had open was the NPC screen when I initially populated the encounter, and then the spell list when viewing a spell. The lag began probably a third of the way through the encounter, after several individuals were killed on the NPC side. One of the players was monitoring his Windows Task Manager. While the lag was happening, it was showing around 33% of his CPU usage. When we decided to have everyone close the map (including me), he reported that it dropped down to about 11-12%. Like I mentioned above - everyone closing the map and then my re-sharing it got rid of the lag we were experiencing. He monitored his Task Manager when the map was opened again, it got up to about 22% CPU usage, however, we didn't encounter any more lag through the end of the encounter.

Issue:
    I more or less covered it above in the Steps to Reproduce section I guess. One thing I'll add, the original reporting - was also probably about 3 hours in, after we had no earlier issues.

This is a brand new campaign, probably our 4th or 5th session played on it. Attached the zipped folder to this message.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the information and the campaign. I'll forward on to @cpinder to review when he gets a chance.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information