DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FGU Won't Start After Applying Weekly Updates

Hi All -

This is a weird one. MacOS Big Sur on Intel- Fully Patched.

For the past 2 months or so, after applying weekly Tuesday updates, Fantasy Grounds will not launch (Error is "Fantasy Grounds quit unexpectedly.")

In order to fix it, I have to back up my data folder, remove FGU completely, and then reinstall from scratch. After doing that it works as expected and performs well until there is another update, at which point I have to go through the same process again. It's very consistent.

I've been kind of just living with it, but hoping someone here might have some ideas. I'm also attaching the MacOS error report that comes with the error pop-up...

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Have you logged it with support here?

https://support.fantasygrounds.com

I think it would be good to get a case opened...
    Good advice - Done!
    Thanks

To be honest, I have no way to test this right now, because I have to keep my OS on a previous version in order to allow me to build for 10.13+.

Our last client update was two weeks ago, so I don't have any idea why it would fail on a mid-update. Because it keeps failing after an update, it seems like a problem with the Gatekeeper software on the latest version not allowing the program to run.

But, I'm not a Mac expert, so we'll need some help with this one.

Regards,
    JPG

Since the error you posted was a new one (Metal engine error) vs. previous ones (certificate error), I tried doing some Internet searching on that error message. However, I did not find any helpful information, and very few references.

Regards,
    JPG

Thank You for looking, I can keep living with this for now since I know how to correct it short term. - To be clear - This doesn't just happen when the client is updated, it happens whenever the updater updates anything - Even just updates to existing DLP Content. It's really strange.

That is even more strange, because if the client is not updated, then the whole .app bundle is not touched. The M1 Mac gatekeeper/security is doing something to all the files in the Application folder for FG whenever it runs. Maybe it's triggering some sort of gatekeeper action? Not familiar enough with Mac security to know what to look for, and I don't personally have an M1 Mac.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks again! My Mac is Intel core I7, not an M1.
    If no one else is reporting this, it has to something unique to my Machine. I’ll post if I find a solution on my side.

That's even more strange, since the application is a code-signed Intel Mac native app. Definitely let me know what you find.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information