FG Spreadshirt Swag

Token Vision Confusion

I normally DM and do not get the chance to see things from the players' perspective and I just noticed something I find confusing regarding token vision/lighting.

I place a token on the map that does not have Darkvision (DV) nor any light source. All is dark. When I click on the token again to effectively unclick it, I can see a nearby PC token who doesn't have DV or a light source either, but otherwise all is dark.

However, when I place a Tabaxi with DV, things change. When I click back on that original token without DV or a light source so the token is selected, things are just fine and everything is dark. However, when I click this same token again so it becomes effectively unclicked, now I see the entire room from the Tabaxi's DV.

I don't have party vision set. I don't know if this is normal or not; or, if I have an extension causing this. I would really like it if a token with no DV or a light source remains blind when around a token with DV but otherwise there is no light source. I could place the Blind Effect on the token but then this stops vision when a nearby token actually does have a light source. Is this just me?

Difficult to say. Were you joined to your own game and thus controlled all the tokens?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

I'm using two computers and two separate accounts. DM has full version; player computer has free version. Here are two screen shots:

selected.jpg

notselected.jpg

One image is the token selected. The other image is when I click to then unselect the token and now you can see the Tabaxi's darkvision. No one else has DV and nobody has any lights. oh, and screen snaps are from the player's computer if that matters.

The only thing I can think of is that the token in question is player-owned here and the other two DM owned. Maybe DM owned tokens show vision/light? But that doesn't make sense because sometimes DMs will run a PC or NPC and you don't want it doing this. Weird. I must be doing something wrong or have an extension doing this.

I’m not at a computer to test this but I’m pretty sure that you only see what your token sees when it is selected. Unless you have party vision on then as a player you see only what your token sees and that’s whether via special vision or lighting. Another player should not be able to see what a token with darkvision sees. However I’m not sure what might happen if the player was running two characters and thus controlling two tokens. That’s what I’d need to test.

As DM everything changes and you can see everything of course unless you switch on player preview (which might be another good way to test what the player is seeing).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Well, it was user error and I feel stupid. I did not realize that the other tokens on the map were actually owned by the player computer account. Though I did not click them to be player controlled (their little image was not at the top left) and so could not control them as the player, they were player owned in the characters tab. Once I cleared that, it works as it should. I apologize for this. All my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Dog View Post
    Well, it was user error and I feel stupid. I did not realize that the other tokens on the map were actually owned by the player computer account. Though I did not click them to be player controlled (their little image was not at the top left) and so could not control them as the player, they were player owned in the characters tab. Once I cleared that, it works as it should. I apologize for this. All my fault.
    The main thing is we all learned something

Thread Information