STAR TREK 2d20

D66 table DM question

I was going over the random space encounters table in the Main Rulebook and the Dm you are supposed to apply to the roll is only supposed to be applied to the first dice (d60) rolled. Is there a way of doing that in the provided tables in FG or is the dm applied to the final result or just both dice? Sorry if this has already been explained elsewhere.

Holy cow, I've overlooked that rule since I have started playing.

I took a look at it and have an answer as FG will do it in a roundabout way.

With the table open there is an empty box under 'Custom' and to the right of the 2d6's. For a +- modifier on the first die to be applied you will have to update that field in increments of 10.

For example, Wild Space is -1. You will have to update the empty box to -10.

i see. if I wanted to apply the same negative DM to the second die I would type -01 into the field
    thanks! this was very useful
    just a question, so I can get a bit more understanding of tables when I start to make my own, if i was to make a series of nested tables (with the subtable autorolling from the first table) is there any way to apply dms to the nested table but not the original? I can't seem to find a way to get FG stop and prompt for a dm before it rolls on a subtable.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRex View Post
    Holy cow, I've overlooked that rule since I have started playing.

I took a look at it and have an answer as FG will do it in a roundabout way.

With the table open there is an empty box under 'Custom' and to the right of the 2d6's. For a +- modifier on the first die to be applied you will have to update that field in increments of 10.

For example, Wild Space is -1. You will have to update the empty box to -10.
    I'm building a d66 encounter table not dissimilar to the one in the Pirates of Drinax, where there are negative and positive modifiers being to both dice in certain circumstances. So a +1 to the first die (the d60) but there could also be a negative DM applied to the second die at the same time (the d6).
    It seems like this is an impossible table to make work in FG because the dm can only be applied to one integer at a time, not dynamically to both.
    Example. I have a roll that requires me to apply a +1 to the first die and a -1 to the second die. so a roll of 2 and 6 would give me a result of 15. There does not seem to be any way to input a dm to arrive at this in FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallorylover23 View Post
    I'm building a d66 encounter table not dissimilar to the one in the Pirates of Drinax, where there are negative and positive modifiers being to both dice in certain circumstances. So a +1 to the first die (the d60) but there could also be a negative DM applied to the second die at the same time (the d6).
    It seems like this is an impossible table to make work in FG because the dm can only be applied to one integer at a time, not dynamically to both.
    Example. I have a roll that requires me to apply a +1 to the first die and a -1 to the second die. so a roll of 2 and 6 would give me a result of 15. There does not seem to be any way to input a dm to arrive at this in FG.
    First dice tens
    Second dice units
    If you need to add +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second dice, then 10-1 will be 9. Just add +9 to the modifier.
    Last edited by Serg Barbeau; October 27th, 2021 at 18:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Serg Barbeau View Post
    First dice tens
    Second dice units
    If you need to add +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second dice, then 10-1 will be 9. Just add +9 to the modifier.
    so if you're correct, that should provide a spread of 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55, 60-65 & 70-75. yes? if so, that is wild. I know it's probably just some very simple math in the code to make that work, it just feels like it shouldn't work with how the tables seem to be set up in FG.

so if you're correct, that should provide a spread of 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55, 60-65 & 70-75. yes? if so, that is wild. I know it's probably just some very simple math in the code to make that work, it just feels like it shouldn't work with how the tables seem to be set up in FG.
    In FG it works like this:
    1d6*10 + 1d6, the values 11-66 are obtained
    If you add +9, then 11+9=20, this is +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second, or 66+9=75, this is also +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second.

In FG it works like this:
    1d6*10 + 1d6, the values 11-66 are obtained
    If you add +9, then 11+9=20, this is +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second, or 66+9=75, this is also +1 to the first dice and -1 to the second.
    how would you do a negative to the first die and positive to the first. Say for instance -10 to the first die and +2 to the second? would it be -8?

how would you do a negative to the first die and positive to the first. Say for instance -10 to the first die and +2 to the second? would it be -8?
    Yes, that's right

Yes, that's right
    thanks so much for your help. this makes my automation of tables far more automated than I thought would be possible

Thread Information