DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 23 of 29 First ... 132122232425 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spoofer View Post
    How should I deal with NPC spell records?

The spells are listed in SotDL Player. Should I link to these data? Will linking automatically populate all of the fields, such as the name field? For example, for the NPC spell...

Or should I copy the data over completely and fill out the xml code for each spell that the NPC knows? Yesterday I was able to get links to work but today nothing is working. Frustrating. Assuming that I can even get that link to work, then I can think of pros and cons to both. Copying the data over completely is the safest way to make sure that everything works smoothly.
    Hi Spoofer,

I will leave it up to you as to whether you link them or create new data.
    My tests yesterday before I pushed new build had the drag and drop from Spells working (but am not at my home computer).
    Drag and Drop or Linking wont populate Power because Power will vary from NPC to NPC - maybe that is the key to choosing which way to go.

Can you tell me more info about what isnt working with the linking?
    I did change the List slightly yesterday to allow Drag and Drop from spells and that might be impacting your linking.
    Possibly email the data source sample and steps to reproduce?

In the NPC entries, the line that has Defense and Health also has Insanity and Corruption, which fit in before the ability scores. For example:

AMPHISBAENA --- DIFFICULTY 25
    Size 2 monster
    Perception 14 (+4); darksight
    Defense 16; Health 30; Insanity —; Corruption 0
    Strength 13 (+3), Agility 15 (+5), Intellect 8 (–2), Will 11 (+1)
    Speed 12
    Immune damage from cold; dazed, impaired, stunned

Question: Do we include the word Immune as part of that field, or just the words after it?
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Blog Entries
    Do any of the NPCs have values for those fields?
    If they do I can add them in.

Do not put the word Immune in
    After you enter the values double click the green arrow and see if they are all reported

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I did change the List slightly yesterday to allow Drag and Drop from spells and that might be impacting your linking.
    I just assumed it was me. Perhaps the xml changed? I need to check that.

>>>So drag and drop spells works now? I tried dropping spells from the side bar to the NPC magic tab but nothing happens.

Strike that. If you drop to left side then it works. I was dropping to the right side.
    Last edited by spoofer; December 7th, 2021 at 23:24.

Ohh I see lots of visual changes. You have been busy.

The side bar looks great. I appreciate the simplicity and the high contrast between the font and the background.

It was me! In hindsight, the error message makes perfect sense. I got the automated creation of a link working. I see that I need to extract the name, spell damage, etc., and include that in the xml since those fields are still blank in the magic tab of the NPC.

Oh, you added power to each spell. That is not how power works. It should be one stat per NPC, not per spell. It needs to go up above, maybe beside speed and under will.

And now I finally see what happens when the player manual is not opened and you click a spell link. You get a friendly reminder to open it up. That is perfect.

Edit: Now that I see that dropping spells works as expected, I am wondering once again what the best way to do things is, and if the following behaviour is a bug. Right now, I parse the link and the castings. Here is the result. The following image shows to versions of the same spell. The top version is part of the NPC record. The lower version was dropped afterwards. The top one is missing the name. Should that name field also be automatically populated?

wizard_npc.JPG
    Last edited by spoofer; December 7th, 2021 at 23:30.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spoofer View Post
    It was me! In hindsight, the error message makes perfect sense. I got the automated creation of a link working. I see that I need to extract the name, spell damage, etc., and include that in the xml since those fields are still blank in the magic tab of the NPC.

Oh, you added power to each spell. That is not how power works. It should be one stat per NPC, not per spell. It needs to go up above, maybe beside speed and under will.

And now I finally see what happens when the player manual is not opened and you click a spell link. You get a friendly reminder to open it up. That is perfect.

Edit: Now that I see that dropping spells works as expected, I am wondering once again what the best way to do things is, and if the following behaviour is a bug. Right now, I parse the link and the castings. Here is the result. The following image shows to versions of the same spell. The top version is part of the NPC record. The lower version was dropped afterwards. The top one is missing the name. Should that name field also be automatically populated?

wizard_npc.JPG
    Ok I did misunerstand.
    Power needs to be a NPC attribute not spell attribute.
    Ill fix.
    Did you see Nyghtmares post about Insanity and Corruption? I should add those at the same time?

If the XML is correct then the name should show up regardless of whether you drag/drop the spell or create it on the charsheet.

Yes for Insanity and Corruption. For example, the Fomor (under Beastman) has an Insanity of 3 and a Corruption of 2. Most of the more evil critters have values.

I did not put immune in the field. When I click the green arrow, nothing happens — is this a good thing, as in if there is something wrong there will be a message in chat or the like?

By the way, I saw in a video that there is a creature immune to all afflictions and also to having banes imposed on it. Is this something you have or will take into account, or just leave it out there as an outlier to be taken care of manually?
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Blog Entries
    Ive added Power, Insanity, Corruption to the NPC sheet
    Ive tweaked spell layout a little and drag and drop is more forgiving and Ive removed power.
    I put spells into 2 columns but it makes the names shorter - thoughts?
    Live in forge.

Thread Information