FG Spreadshirt Swag

Players unable to see/interact with an owned NPC

Is there any known issue that would cause a player owned NPC to no longer be visible on a map to a player? I noticed last night that when I dragged an owned NPC onto a new map I had to reshare it (drag from CT link to player portrait) in order to get it interactable by player again. But could not duplicate it when I was using a local player (me) to test it. Used extensions in my testing. Not tested pure FGU creation of owned NPC (via CT drag of link onto portrait) yet - mostly because I can't duplicate it locally.

Just wondering what would cause a token to no longer be seen (thus not interactable) for a player when nothing but that owned NPC is on that map (no PC). As I stated this works in all cases but when moving and existing owned token to a new map - and always seems to work fine when testing with a local player (me) attached to my local campaign (me). I suspect it is some token (active/LOS/lighting) thing but not sure how it works except in these special circumstances.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I think the answer is the players never 'own' the NPC - the DM does. So if there's no owned token on the map (ie a player character) then they have nothing to connect the NPC to.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think the answer is the players never 'own' the NPC - the DM does. So if there's no owned token on the map (ie a player character) then they have nothing to connect the NPC to.
    Except it works. Except when you switch maps - then there is a workaround (redoing it again). But I take it your saying its nothing they would be concerned about since they don't have owned NPC's?

We all know there were problems with blackout maps for players in the past. What caused those? Would that information help me know what is going on here?

Not going to try this
    Last edited by SilentRuin; September 21st, 2021 at 19:24.

I didn't explain it too well. What I meant was that when you change maps you break the link between the NPC token and the player character. So basically you need to recreate that link when you put the tokens onto the new map. This is as a result of the player not owning the token.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I didn't explain it too well. What I meant was that when you change maps you break the link between the NPC token and the player character. So basically you need to recreate that link when you put the tokens onto the new map. This is as a result of the player not owning the token.
    There is only the NPC for the player - no PC (on the map at least) . But yes, the code does restablish the link, etc. for the token. Only the select state is in doubt. As I can't duplicate it without a remote player it makes it guesswork till I get my tester to try it out later today.

I just realized I've run into this problem before so going to take my section of code from other place and try and set the selection of the token after it is placed and see if that solves my issue (as isActive would be wrong thing to try - it would set the turn also).

Well to expand a bit on the whole owned notion. If you copied the NPC node and it's children under the charsheet node, it would then be 'owned' by the player. It might be best to use an allies list on the charsheet to make sure 'ownership' is retained. It would also make checking ownership much easier as you can check the charsheet id.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    Well to expand a bit on the whole owned notion. If you copied the NPC node and it's children under the charsheet node, it would then be 'owned' by the player. It might be best to use an allies list on the charsheet to make sure 'ownership' is retained. It would also make checking ownership much easier as you can check the charsheet id.
    I believe I fixed it - at least I could no longer get it to occur in a remote user test. Gist is I gaurantee that if its manipulating an owned NPC token it insures that immediately after the client gets a message to clear the selections and set that NPC token as selected. Seems to prevent the black screen when switching maps from where the original token was created. Will find out for sure next time I run COS in about two weeks. As it was happening every time in Ulrich Manor and Berez maps (switching between).

Thread Information