DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Toggle attack type when dragging roll

Is there a way to toggle the attack type between melee and ranged when dragging an attack roll? Currently it defaults to melee, and thus the target's parry.

For example:
    1) Clear target from attacker.
    2) Perform a ranged attack.
    3) Drag attack roll from chat log onto target.

Note how the defense is melee (target's parry), rather than ranged (4 + cover).

Do we need to manually modify the defense in the pending attack, or is there a way to have this performed automatically?

Given your reputation (Templar) I think this might come across as patronizing, which is not my intent, so please excuse me. Given the number of newcomers to FGU/SWADE, this answer will help them more. Also, I don't know how D&D works in FGU, since I don't play that system, so it may behave differently. Savage Worlds does a few things differently, even from CoreRPG. So, here goes.

Chat doesn't track much data from rolls, so it doesn't know it's a ranged attack. You have to drag attacks from the character sheet or CT for the auto stuff to kick in. Targeting the enemy in CT and double clicking the attack also captures the data needed to auto apply stuff. Including various extensions that can hook into these events for the info they need. They don't always hook into chat events.

There's been requests to retain more roll info in chat, and Ikael has added some, but since FG is CT oriented, it's best to do everything from CT and character sheets.

Thanks. Perhaps my original post was unclear - I wasn't reporting it as a bug.

I figured the original data from the roll was lost, so I was curious if I had missed a way to provide additional context when dragging the attack - holding down a key while dragging, clicking a UI affordance, or some such.

However, it sounds like that's not currently supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Weasel View Post
    Is there a way to toggle the attack type between melee and ranged when dragging an attack roll? Currently it defaults to melee, and thus the target's parry.

For example:
    1) Clear target from attacker.
    2) Perform a ranged attack.
    3) Drag attack roll from chat log onto target.

Note how the defense is melee (target's parry), rather than ranged (4 + cover).

Do we need to manually modify the defense in the pending attack, or is there a way to have this performed automatically?
    My understanding is it doesn't work, because a ranged attack (Shooting or Athletics skill) needs to know the distance to a target in order to calculate the correct range (short/medium/long/extreme) penalty. You can ensure that by CTRL-clicking the target token on an image map, or dragging the attack dice from a ranged combat attack on a PC sheet onto a token on an image map. If PCs and NPCs have tokens on an image map, it of course works in the Combat Tracker by dragging the targeting icon from the attacker onto a target within the CT. It also works if you drag the attack dice from a ranged combat attack on a PC sheet onto a target in the CT. Doing it any other way (i.e. rolling an untargeted ranged attack), the attack doesn't knows the distance and always defaults to a melee attack against a target's parry. The only other option I can see is to roll and calculate everything manually as when you're running TOTM. In SW RAW, targets for attacks have to be declared before rolled, so it seems to me that the behavior in FGU is reinforcing that.
    Last edited by kronovan; September 13th, 2021 at 22:01.

Thread Information