5E Character Create Playlist
Page 14 of 38 First ... 4121314151624 ... Last
    It would have been a shame if they'd taken the opportunity FGU afforded them to modernize or even slightly update the user interface. Nested radial choices are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Unity is software created from scratch. it has nothing to do with the Classic. The decision to make Unity backward compatible with all rulesets and content is business decision and it makes sense - there are hundreds of products out there that can't be rendered obsolete. This is move that only Apple does.

It does not mean that in future there might not be new architecture of the rulesets and etc. With Unity there no limits.
    All im saying is they missed an opportunity leave 2004 in the past and build something completely new and since it is using Unity engine as you said the possibilities are endless! But they are not becuase they took classic called it unity and added lighting and mapping tools. Now VTT's of the future such as The Foundry are going to murder them on sales and community at a 1/3 of the price. To be clear im saying this because I love FG and it pains me to know that Unity could of been so much more.
    Last edited by toastsniffer187; December 11th, 2021 at 15:54.
    Steve Jobs "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

I am not sure why you think FGU could have been... It is huge improvement over the classic and the last major updates that introduced effects, LOS, dynamic lights and other ruleset specific features show that the product is far from "over". The fact that you now have map-making capabilities is amazing - everything in one place.

Yes, we want much faster pace from Smite Works, but even today FGU has much more to offer than its competitors.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by toastsniffer187 View Post
    My thing is why does FGU not have this pretty effects and such? Its unity!!!!! I think Smite Works dropped the ball big time in not writing FGU from scatch and using FGC as its base. It really disheartens me we paid $100 to upgrade from classic to unity for lighting and map tools. Unity is such a powerful engine and they could of sank the competition for the next 10 years if they had only built it from scratch with 2021 tech and future tech in mind! There is no reason FGU should even have competition for the price they charge and the size of the community.
    To be clear (I don't want to make assumptions): which "pretty effects" did you want? I came back to D&D about a year ago after not playing for 25 years. 25 years ago, my gaming group did 99% theater of the mind, and 100% homebrew. "Back in the day", I played over a dozen different systems, and even made a few systems on my own. Part of the beauty of roleplaying back then, for us, was imagination. Now, I feel there's a LOT of expectation on making D&D more of a video game experience. People want animated maps, weather effects, sound effects and background music. I feel this takes away just a bit from the imagination that used to be such a big part of roleplaying for me. I used to have 3 giant laminated green hex boards that I'd draw on with water-color markers if combat got confusing. Otherwise, we just winged it. I'd much rather Fantasy Grounds focused on things like finding ways to get things to load faster, or maybe integrating some of the automation we find in extensions.

Foundry is a great system, but honestly: until they have legitimate licensing for roleplaying systems directly with roleplaying publishers, they'll still be far behind Smiteworks. That said: different people roleplay in different ways. If foundry or roll20 work better for those people, then great. I bought Fantasy Grounds because I homebrew so much content that I would have very quickly reached the limits of roll20.

I believe that audiovisual resources are something linked to technology and the reality of VTT's nowadays.
    I played a lot with Teatro da Mente as well, but I confess that I'm attracted to hear and see a special effect when I launch my magic missiles and that emotion arises when we have a good trail accompanying our journey.
    I know that most of the features that are mentioned on other platforms will arrive at Fantasy Grounds and I am patient to wait.
    And I agree that before any "extra" features it is necessary to work on the speed and stability of Fantasy Grounds.

You need to realize that only one person is speaking at any time in voice chat. And usually only two people actively play on each PCs turn while the rest of the group is busy staring at their screen while staying quite. The "video game experience" is what keeps their eyes on the map at least, else they would just browse the web or watch some video while waiting for their turn.

This is a different experience from sitting at a table where multiple people can talk, especially with each other while the GM and one player are handling a PCs turn. The whole group is (hopefully) more invested and in the moment and everything is more "tangible".

Torch flickering is nice, that pulsating light is more of a hazard. Some map effects work, others not so much (and why are the defaults for "fog" so unusable fast?).

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    Now, I feel there's a LOT of expectation on making D&D more of a video game experience. People want animated maps, weather effects, sound effects and background music. I feel this takes away just a bit from the imagination that used to be such a big part of roleplaying for me.
    What you call "video game experience" many call immersion. Not something that reduces imagination but improves it and most certainly improves ones ability to roleplay as the character in that specific situation.

The upside to having modern audio, video and graphical features for your games, you don't have to use them and the those that prefer them can.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I dunno. I find the focus on graphics and music breaks my immersion ... but then I have a pretty vivid imagination. From a practical side though, I find most of the tech simply bothersome. I had a map all set up with animations and lighting and had to turn it off because of lag for one or two players on slow connections. Just easier to run TotM.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    I dunno. I find the focus on graphics and music breaks my immersion ... but then I have a pretty vivid imagination. From a practical side though, I find most of the tech simply bothersome. I had a map all set up with animations and lighting and had to turn it off because of lag for one or two players on slow connections. Just easier to run TotM.
    Your problem mentioned is with the platform, not the technology. As I said earlier and as you did in this case, not using it is a option. Whether it works properly tho is in the developers.

What I find destressing is some the people on the forums (and not just in this thread) suggesting "advanced" features shouldn't be added because they don't need/want them. What's worse is when others start using that as justification for their own desire to "not see" said features. Whether it's UI, audio, graphics or improved performance.... these are features we should expect. Whether we use them or not is entirely up to the table. I don't need to know Bob the DM doesn't use audio when requesting audio features be on the table for FG. There is certainly a triage list of things that can and should be worked on depending on severity (performance is a hot topic these days) but new features should be on the table as cycles permit.

I don't expect things to spin around and get done instantly, things are slow and steady, more slow than steady but, things get done. Just remember when you respond to someone asking for something you don't see a need for that everyone is not the same.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    What I find destressing is some the people on the forums (and not just in this thread) suggesting "advanced" features shouldn't be added because they don't need/want them.
    I think you'll find, if you read my posts, that I've only talked about what I, as an individual do, or value, or think. Nowhere have I suggested that smiteworks shouldn't add the features, have I? And I don't believe I've seen in THIS thread anyone suggesting that either, unless I've missed it. I've suggested other things I'd RATHER see. I'm allowed to do that. Perhaps just relax and don't read too much into it, eh? What does it matter what I think anyway?

Thread Information