5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Double vs. single click

Pretty please with kisses and flowers make the Action tab either single-click or double-click. The mix is inconsistent, always gets my players confused and we get at least a couple of accidental double-rolls every session.

Thanks in advance.

Buttons are single click; text fields are double-click. That should be consistent.

Redesigning the UI in that area is on our list, but not currently scheduled.

Regards,
    JPG

So these all are text fields (*not* editable)?!

And these are buttons (*not* editable)?!

Blue Prof and Stat are buttons (change content by clicking on them), but blue Misc (editable) and white Total (*not* editable) are a text field?!

Everything in white is a text field (*not* editable). Everything in blue is a button (change by clicking), except for the visually equal Hero Points, Item, Misc, Base, Armor and Shield, the latter of which are text fields (editable)?!

I will relay this information to my players, hoping for less confusion in future sessions.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; August 26th, 2021 at 23:47.

PS: Looking at this again, the most common denominator for double-click "text fields" seems to be that they usually do *not* contain text, but numbers. The double-click weapon damage text fields seem to be the main exception to this as they contain numbers + text.

My suggestion for not so future improvement: Since *none* of the text fields that allow rolling seem to allow editing, just make them single-click to begin with. Saves a lot of clicking and confusion.

Except for when you are trying to scroll; or look through stuff and accidentally making all sorts of rolls. Believe me, that was what happened initially after the spell pages were built.

It's actually up to each ruleset how they want to implement; but here's how 5E decides. (see picture) The controls are clearly buttons (single click) or text fields (double click).

Regards,
    JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

PFRPG2 has these in its spell section, too.

How does the text button needing a double-click prevent any accidental clicking while scrolling? All buttons right beside the scroll-bar are currently single-click anyway (and we have scroll-wheels now):

And how does mixing single and double clicking on the same page prevent accidental clicking while "looking through stuff" other than by pure chance? This is very inconsistent and the most flow-breaking thing regularly happening other than performance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    PFRPG2 has these in its spell section, too.

How does the text button needing a double-click prevent any accidental clicking while scrolling? All buttons right beside the scroll-bar are currently single-click anyway (and we have scroll-wheels now):

And how does mixing single and double clicking on the same page prevent accidental clicking while "looking through stuff" other than by pure chance? This is very inconsistent and the most flow-breaking thing regularly happening other than performance issues.
    I think Moon Wizard explained it pretty clearly.

What was clear about "except when you are trying to scroll"? I have no knowledge how single-clicking caused issues with scrolling in the past and how double-clicking solved these. But I demonstrated how all buttons right beside the scroll-bar are still single-click now.

So please share your knowledge, Jiminimonka. I will then tell my players that they are imagining things, as I personally (as GM) don't mix these up, just my dumb players do. Doh.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; August 27th, 2021 at 09:46.

I assume the comment about single clicks making it difficult to scroll may be in relation to touch screens where you initiate a scroll by touching the screen, but I could be wrong.

My players are always getting double/single clicks wrong, even after more than a year playing PFRPG in Fantasy Grounds.
    While I think there is room for both inputs, I agree with Weissrolf that it's more of a memorization exercise if you want to consistently get it right.
    I also think from Moon Wizard's comment that this is best taken up with Ruleset devs (although IMO some rulesets like PFRPG are very unlikely to see these sort of changes at this stage in development without SmiteWorks providing direction).
    Last edited by bmos; August 27th, 2021 at 12:48.

Thread Information