Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

what the hell is 1802

I have looked at the forums and this is how it starts.

"my fire wall is turned off, port 1802 is open"

that last one is my problum I don't have a port 1802 at all. how do I get one? Thanks in advance.

-Kunsgnos the Dragonslayer

Ehmm... everybody has a port 1802. It is part of the TCP/IP protocol that you use to connect to the internet. And if your firewall is off, it's open. By definition. So maybe you can try to describe your problem a bit better, then we can help you.

[edit]
    Reread my post, and realized it may sound a bit unfriendly.... not how it's intended, just need more info!
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Hamish; August 20th, 2007 at 13:11.

Hmm. Briefly your computer does have a series of ports, the typical Windows machine has 64k of them. Your router and cable or DSL "modem" and any switches along with your fireall pass, forward or block messages to these ports. The FG software when it is acting as a server (host) listens for talk on port 1802. If anything prevents it hearing incoming messages on this port the server does not function - or rather if functions fine but has nothing to process.

Most hardware and security software block or hide ports by default because it is a security risk unless the hardware and software is configured properly. Thus unless you configure all your network hardware and software to allow connections and tell them what they are suppose to do with something coming in on port 1802 they either block or hide the incoming data which means the server can't be connected to by players.

It is important to know that if you are a player you don't have to mess with this at all. Only the DM or host has to configure his setup. However if the host doesn't do this problerly FG will never able to get the incoming data from people trying to connect to the host.

If you have further questions, just ask and someone will answer them.
    Last edited by Griogre; August 20th, 2007 at 08:30.

if you have a router, you must program it to redirect the 1802 port to your pc internal ip adress...
    For exemple if your pc ip adress is 192.168.0.1 , your router can have a lan ip adress ( the internal ip adress) of 192.168.0.253 and an external ip adress (wan,) with is see in internet. This external ip can be 80.23.14.xx
    So if one of your friend want to connect to your pc by internet, you give him your router external ip . When he say "hello" on 1802 to your router, your router don't know "what doing with that", so in your router, somewhere you can program it to redirect to your pc internal ip adress
    something like
    Port 1802, redirect to port 1802 ip 192.168.0.1

(sorry for my bad english)

Try: FG Knowledge Base - Firewalls

Or, Networking FAQ Response

Search is your friend. (port forwarding, firewall, network, etc.) You can get the basics from the forums. (There are actually a few threads that are pretty extensive.) If after that you are having trouble, you will be able to post with information about what you have tried and you will know what information you should provide so that those that are in the 'know' can help you out. Your system setup, etc.

Good luck.
    Ramza
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

ok sorry

Sorry for the lack of info. Everyong was talking about this 1802 port I know nothing about. I've read and learned. I tried Canyouseemee.org and I don't get how to use that site. It looks so simple but I type in 1802 in the spot where it says "What port?" and when the screen refreashes it looks the same. so I mooved on and tried pcflank.com I did a Advanced port scan and told It to scan ports 1-99999 just to see what it said. it gave me a list of about twenty ports, two shethed the rest closed, none port 1802. I did this while Fantasy Grounds is running and firewall off. I am on a wireless connection on my laptop that goes through a 54Mbps DSL connection. Thanks in advance for the responces. Note: I am pretty computer Illiterate, so try to keep it simple for me thanks.

First, just to make sure we are talking the same thing do you have the full version of Fantasy Grounds? You need to full version to host.

Assuming you were running the Full version while you were scanning your ports then port 1802 is closed as it is not listed as stealthed or open.

The port is most likely closed because of your router or DSL "modem" or both - probably both.

I am going to tell you cutting off the software firewall on your computer is a bad idea for several reasons. There is the obvious security one. It is also likely to be not effective or more of a hassel. Probably more important to you is the hassel one. The OS does not like not having a firewall on after Windows SP2. If you cut off your third party firewall (say Nortons) it will cut on the built in firewall automatically. Modern software firewalls do not like being turned off. In fact many are now programed to maintain port state when they are switched off (they are treating the off command as if your computer has a virus or spyware). You end up playing shell games with your firewalls. Don't go down this road, it will inflict pain and frustration on you, just tell your firewall it is OK for the FantasyGrounds.exe to act as a server and leave the firewall on. Most firewalls will ask you about acting as a server as a popup and all you have to do is answer correctly. Read the popup carefully though, depending on the firewall, the question may be asked so that either a no or yes may be correct.

On you hardware, you need to do a survey of what you have. With your wireless setup you probably have two hardware boxes between you and the internet. You will have the box, probably a router, that recieves your wireless signal and that box is probably connected to your DSL "modem" with a cable. I'm guessing on your setup and if I am wrong you need to post what you actually have.

What you need to do is have any hardware (the DSL Modem and Router) between the Internet and your computer pass along any data that comes in port 1802 to your laptop. This is a two step process. First, most hardware has a built in firewall in it. You need to open port 1802 on every piece of hardware with a firewall on it (which is probably all of them). After that you need to port forward 1802 on to the IP number of the next piece of hardware until if finally arrives at the local IP address of your lap top.

That's the general overview. If you tell us what make and model you have for the DSL "modem" and router it will be easier to help you configure them.

Your ISP tech support can probably tell you how to configure your modem if they supplied the modem (likely). You will probably have to configure the wireless router yourself or you may be able to plug your laptop directly into your DSL "Modem".

You kick *** Greg

Firstly yes full version.

Ok did the windows firewall to allow fantasy grounds as an exemption.

To clearafy on my setup. The dsl modem is the wireless router too, so do I still have to plug in directly to my modem or will it not matter

my DSL modem/wireless router is a 2wire model 2700hg-b

Not 100% clear setup on your setup. Do you: a) have both a modem and a router (both wireless and two boxes), b) just a wireless DSL "Modem".

If it is not a pain, it is better to plug your computer into the DSL Modem. This is because wireless is slow and if you have another router you won't have to configure it. However if you have more than one computer that might need to connect to the Internet at the same time you should go ahead and daisy chain on out.

Can you tell who makes the DSL "modem"?
    Last edited by Griogre; August 23rd, 2007 at 06:39.

ok

I just have one box It does both.

The compony that makes it is 2wire.I got it through At&t. the model is 2700hg-b

Thread Information