Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Giving an Player Control over an NPC Token

Good Afternoon. So I've read before that in Fantasy Grounds , in the 5e ruleset, if the DM takes an NPC token from the CT, drags it over and then drops it on a player's portrait -- that player should then be able to control the token of that NPC. Is this accurate? If it is, its not working for me.

Here's my actual scenario from my Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign... one of my players has , acquired an owlbear as her pet of sorts. So I want to give said player control over the creatures token so I don't have to move it around for her each time. In fact I'd like for her to be able to do the attacks for the owlbear if possible as well (but I don't know if I'm stretching beyond the capabilities of FGU or not with that one, I'd settle for her having token control for now).

Another player in the same game reminded me of what I wrote above (dropping the npc token on the player portrait) but as stated I did this and nothing happens at all. The "owlbear player" still says she has no control over it.

Am I missing something? What is the PROPER way for a DM in a 5e game to grant control of an NPC to a specific player?

Secondary question -- and should I finally accomplish this is it set "forever" or only for that session, so each time I reload fantasy grounds I'd have to re-set it for the player to have control of the NPC?

Thank you,

Tom (Mytherus)
    Last edited by Mytherus; August 21st, 2021 at 22:50.

Blog Entries
    "Party Vision & Movement"
    You either need to turn on the option which effects all friendly tokens, or you have to right mouse over the owlbear token and add it individually. That token will then be moveable by all players, and the vision will be visible to all players. If you don't want that, then you need to create a PC for the owlbear and have the player own it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    or you have to right mouse over the owlbear token and add it individually.
    Is this still true? I can't find a way to give my players control of an NPC other than turning on "Party Vision and Movement" and that just seems contrary to the whole concept of LOS. Yes, theoretically a party member in another room could shout to his group to tell them what he see's, but... And right clicking on a token to add or remove that token from party vision when Party Vision & Movement is turned on doesn't seem to have any affect at all. What am I doing wrong? Is allowing every party member to see what every other party member sees really the only way to give a PC control of an NPC?

Yes, that is right, it is still a thing. I believe there is not a way currently to isolate each actor in the combat tracker and to the maps. It is sort of like it can mainly be "on" or "off", and not much of any way to do so in between. Perhaps they will soon have an answer for this. This was not an issue in FG Classic because we did not have LoS back then. Early on with Unity, this was not even possible to have control over an NPC during beta if I recall. I have resigned & designated myself to control ALL of the NPCs myself as the gamemaster. At least this way, the NPC is not going to just become another extension of the character. I sometimes make homebrew will-checks or a check roll for the NPC's, and I sometimes challenge the player's wishes based on the NPC type, and I do this if the option is being abused or neglected, even as inconvenient as it might be for myself. Having two characters is not optimal for a player in most cases, but I do realize edge-cases and for when people do not show up. Again, I end up playing the missing PC as best I can. I try to run most of the game myself, I do not usually let FGU or my players run it for me. I figure that most players have enough on their hands than trying to run multiple pets, NPCs, and characters. It is all subjective to how much work you want to do and the style of GM that one is. Adding more confusion, extensions, and player tracking is okay in some cases, but not at the expense of adding too much complexity or more reliance on additional PC-facing things. I imagine that most other rulesets do not even touch this topic too much except for the more core-based systems that are akin to DnD. I also added a token vision off and on to the shortcut keys to toggle the party vision and movement so that it is done on a case-by-case basis, and not for the entire game.
    Last edited by Laerun; February 6th, 2022 at 04:22. Reason: Clarity
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thanks for the reply, Laerun. It’s disappointing but at least I know I haven’t been overlooking something. And I hope this issue will be addressed soon.

I understand you’re reasoning for not wishing the players to have too much control of too many NPCs but that’s really a feature (bug?) of 5e. And if they don’t have the hassle of keeping up with all their pets and familiars, there is nothing to discourage them from just piling an ever increasing load on the shoulders of the dm. But like I said, I understand what you’re saying. In my case, my group’s Paladin has cast find steed and it just seems ridiculous that I have to control his mount for him, particularly considering their instinctive bond and telepathic link.

That said, can you point me to a link or video that explains how to convert say, a celestial elk, into a PC?
    Last edited by RustyInRT; February 6th, 2022 at 04:53. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    There are extensions that give other ways to control NPC for companions, summons, familiars etc. I don't use any so can't point you to them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

For D&D 5e the extension is called Friend Zone: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...5E-Friend-Zone
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyInRT View Post
    Is this still true? I can't find a way to give my players control of an NPC other than turning on "Party Vision and Movement" and that just seems contrary to the whole concept of LOS. Yes, theoretically a party member in another room could shout to his group to tell them what he see's, but... And right clicking on a token to add or remove that token from party vision when Party Vision & Movement is turned on doesn't seem to have any affect at all. What am I doing wrong? Is allowing every party member to see what every other party member sees really the only way to give a PC control of an NPC?
    The reason why this is still a thing is that the player does not own the NPC - the DM does. So certain aspects of the control of the NPC lies with the DM and not the player. Hence the need to turn party vision on to allow the player to move the token which otherwise needs to be done by the owner of the token i.e. the DM.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    For D&D 5e the extension is called Friend Zone: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...5E-Friend-Zone
    Thanks for the link. I've picked it up and will see how it works for my Paladin tonight

It's curious to me that something of this sort isn't included in the ruleset when obvious examples of its practicality are abundant. Having found more than one extension in the Forge that allows players NPC control tells me that the coding must not be that difficult. I may be wrong, but the responses I have received makes me think it is a design choice to exclude such a utility. As the DM I prefer to have the option to switch such a utility off or on. I understand that NPC stands for NONplayer character, but to be told that "we don't think the ruleset should allow this" rather than "the ruleset as built can't allow this" is a little galling.

Thread Information