DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Combat - and tracking things like Leadership, Reactions and more

Hi Folks,

DosFox has asked in the 'Features Wanted' to have a system to record Reactions. This has made me re-read the Core Rulebook in that area as I run a home-brew ruling on such things (to make my life easier).

So the rulebook states:

REACTIONS
    A Traveller who is about to be attacked can react, either dodging a shot or parrying a blow.
    This is called a Reaction, and a Traveller can perform an unlimited amount of Reactions in every combat round. However, every time a Traveller performs a Reaction, he will suffer DM-1 on his next set of actions.
    That tells me that if Dzateth Dar is in ranged combat with an Aslan, and takes the 'Dodge' reaction to reduce the Aslan Attack skill by -2 (Dzateth has Athletics 2). Now in the next round he'll be at -1 DM to all actions.

If another Aslan is attacking at range, and Dzateth decides to dodge that attack as well, then he's at -2 DM in the next round of actions.

We could automate this in a few ways, we could add a dodge action, that you drag onto the NPC who's about to attack to put a negative to that attack, then against that player show on the CT there's a negative DM of -1, that when the next round starts gets moved to this new round and any action they take, this cumulative negative is applied. The Referee can override this if required in the CT itself.

Leadership
    I've been thinking on/off about this for some time. I think the easiest way is that a Condition of 'Boon' and 'Bane' are created. The Player makes the roll and then drags that condition onto the Players in the CT.

When a player want to use the boon/bane, they click the desktop button as normal and then removed the condition.

So that's my thinking, this would be good to add into the ruleset when the Traveller Companion is released.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I handle reaction very close to how you do, However there are those out there that like it as it is in RAW. Can you set it as a option that allows a GM to not use the RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by cdjensen99 View Post
    I handle reaction very close to how you do, However there are those out there that like it as it is in RAW. Can you set it as a option that allows a GM to not use the RAW?
    Can you expand on what you mean by RAW please.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I love your idea for the implementation of reactions, especially since there is a relatively limited number of different reactions as stated in the rules. The automation is quite nice, too. One thing to keep in mind, NPCs can also have reactions, too.

As for the Leadership, I like where you're going with this. Would the Condition have something that would keep track of the number of Boons / Banes that are remaining, or would that be up to the Referee to remove the Boon/Bane condition once the appropriate number have been used up?

Quote Originally Posted by cdjensen99 View Post
    Rules as Written = RAW
    Ah, see I work in Government which works in Acronyms... and RaW is Rules as Written, RaW = Read and Write ..... and many more! Sorry!

Cheers,
    MBM

no problem, I also work in the government and there are alot of Acronyms here as well, and RaW is Read and Write, so I put it as RAW to distinguish it.

This whole thing brings up the whole "shoehorning traveller into a DnD suit" which is MGT2 being put into the FGU/FGC framework.

There are whole areas in Traveller Combat that just works differently than DnD
    ie The Leader's Tactics based Initiative roll that effects everyones on that sides initiative,
    The floating pool of boon's and bane's due to the Leadership roll
    Combat modifiers due to minor actions
    The effect of combat on extended actions
    Cumulative penalties due to reactions
    Damage Types and Locations (from the companion)
    Just to name a few

I believe alot of this can be dealt with, by minor modifications to the existing character sheets, party sheet and combat trackers.

For the Party sheet, designating a party leader, will allow that person to be prompted to make their tactics roll for the encounter.
    Also designating a "scout" or "lookup" (terminology up to MBM) for any rolls needed for encounter range/surprise etc would be great
    This will allow the players to assign certain duties in the same way ship roles are assigned.
    I would suggest having the ability to have two party sheets at a time going, so that the players can split the party....

For the character sheet, a "combat situation" tab, which has a series of radio button groups that allow the player to specify if they are aiming, running, prone, taking cover, actively dodging etc. In this way, when the system has that character targeted, it knows how to calculate the effects.

For the combat trackers, another column or an extended field that holds the cumulative penalties for the next action, would track any such issues.
    The combat trackers would also hold the parties current boon/bane count and the referee would have to enforce the application of any banes to the players rolls.

The big thing is having a place for the automation to lookup the status of characters decisions to make the appropriate changes to the die rolls. The character sheets would appear to be the best place for this as the players can easily change it and the lua system can reference it.
    The global stuff ie who the scout and leader roles are being filled by, belongs on a party sheet while the combat tracker maintains the rest.

The character sheets should also hold the extended damage details/hit locations if that is being applied from the companion.

Just my 2c worth

I would love a ability to set folks in the Combat Tracker as Surprised for their Init Penality for one round. I'd love a tactic roll to modify Init roll. Maybe as an input box on the CT itself or a Roll button with a DM box that applies it PC and friends. And one for Enemies.

And a box for that you can set an amount with a button to down count it. And it flag on PCs and Friendly and Enemies. The Boon count resets to zero when its the flagged character turn again.

And a button on the CT or maybe by the dice mods to apply a Reaction so it can accumulate -1s which get reset when its your turn again.

I am not sure how to work that for NPCs FRiendly or Enemies.

What you think of adding Leadership to Action tabs Misc actions to let the PC initiate a Leadership role in combat?
    Also have a Boon pool under initiate or Leadership action in the Action tab. Than have the Leadership player drag from the pool and drops Boon effect on outer PC.

I played a little 50 Fathoms (Savageworlds) in FGU there you have a pool of Bennies that work like Travellers Boon, maybe something there you can look at.
    Last edited by Boldtaar; August 18th, 2021 at 10:52.

Thread Information