DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Italy, Rome
    Posts
    36

    Nessun giocatore italiano (no italian players?)

    C'è qualche altro giocatore italiano qui? :-)
    E tra questi, qualcuno che voglia iniziare un gruppo italiano?

    Andrea
    Last edited by Fusky; August 17th, 2007 at 22:57.

  2. #2
    Oberoten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Älvsbyn, Sweden
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusky
    C'è qualche altro giocatore italiano qui? :-)
    E tra questi, qualcuno che voglia iniziare un gruppo italiano?

    Andrea
    Let me try my hand at this then...
    It is not mockery of the language, just me trying my hand at translating something I have preciously little training in. An object of fascination as it is...

    Nessun ... Nessun Dorma would give this is "Boy or Person"?
    Giocatore? Actor ... Italiano at the least gives itself.

    C'è ... me? I? qualche *hmm* I'd guess on "Wonder" altro "our" giocatore italiano "italian players" qui "are" ?
    E tra questi .. it is my quest? quacuno che voglia inziare un grupo italiano.
    gruppo ~ Swedish Grupp and English group. Initiare ~ Swedish Initiera = Eng Initiate / Start .

    "It is my quest to start a group of italian players" ?

    Feel free to mock me now.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com




    Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zeist, Netherlands
    Posts
    286
    Hehehe, okay, this is fun. I'll have a go as well.... May have a bit of an edge, I've had a couple of years of French lessons. Involuntarily I must add.

    Nessun - Aren't there
    giocatore - player
    italiano - Italian

    C'è - are there
    qualche - any (?)
    altro - other
    giocatore - players
    italiano - Italian
    qui? - here? (?)

    E tra questi - It's my goal
    qualcuno che voglia - (absolutely no ideas here... I'm curious)
    iniziare - to start
    un gruppo - a group
    italiano - Italian

  4. #4
    qualcuno. che. voglia.
    someone.that.wants.

    So it kind of becomes:
    "Are there any other Italian players out here?
    And among those, are there any that want to start an Italian group?"

    I think. I could have missed a part where he wanted to put eggs in my socks.
    Last edited by Mellock; August 18th, 2007 at 09:32.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Italy, Rome
    Posts
    36
    Ok, let's joke :-)

    Translation votes:

    Oberoten: F (the kid is intelligent but he don't apply on the subject)
    Hamish: D- (so and so)
    Mellock: A (perfect translation)
    Last edited by Fusky; August 18th, 2007 at 12:18.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zeist, Netherlands
    Posts
    286
    *wonders where Mellock learned to speak Italian, or if he used an online translator*

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Oberoten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Älvsbyn, Sweden
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusky
    Ok, let's joke :-)

    Translation votes:

    Oberoten: F (the kid is intelligent but he don't apply on the subject)
    Hamish: D- (so and so)
    Mellock: A (perfect translation)
    *grins* Admittedly I looked more at it as an example to myself and others why languages tend to be one of the more important skills in any detective style adventure. If you try to fnd a translation with an incomplete knowledge or worse no knowledge at all....

    Another translation play :

    Finns det några fler Italienska spelare där ute?
    I sådant fall, finns det några av dem som är intresserade av att starta en Italiensk grupp?
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com




    Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

  9. #9
    Hmm...
    Finns det några fler Italienska spelare där ute?
    I sådant fall, finns det några av dem som är intresserade av att starta en Italiensk grupp?

    Allrighty...
    Italienska is obvious.
    spelara must be similar to Dutch "speler" or German Spieler.
    dar ute sounds like "there out", so that will become "out there"
    Finns is phonetically much like "find". that may mean that "det" means "you", since verbs and subjects easily pair up. Nagra and fler are a bit of guesswork, but at least Nagra is repeated in the next sentence, and fler may come from context, so that'll work out allright, I hope.

    I sadant fall... is an odd combination to have in front of a comma. that means it is either a complete sentence on its own, or an expression. I'm going with the expression, and it's phonetically a lot like "In. such. geval, meaning "In such case", more freely translated, "in that case", or "in any case". i'll see which one I like better later.

    Intresserade seems pretty obvious: "interested".
    av at startta en Italiensk grupp seems obvious enough also. "to start an italian group". But there's an extra word there. So what's that? Small words are often prepositions and such... and we've had a verb already... So i'm taking my chances that I'm not losing any important information with leaving that out. That leaves "nagra" and "fler" without much context really. But what words can they be? Nagra sounds like Negro, which means black in Spanish, but you're from Sweden, and Swedish is more of a Germanic language. Negro doesn't make sense, it would me more Romanic, yours would sound more like "swarch" or "zwart", I bet. (heh, I suddenly recall a tale about "svartalfar". Did you guys invent the Drow?) I'm going with something less specific. Like "a lot" or "some" or "any". (you're too smart to use pleonasms, I bet, although i'm not sure if there are a lot of idiomatic expressions in Swedish) And "Finns" was already my verb "to find" from the previous sentence. The "ar" must be from "to be interested"

    Allright, so what do I have?

    "Did you find some Italian players out there?
    In that case, did you find any of them that are interested in starting an Italian group?"

    Am I lucky again?
    Last edited by Mellock; August 19th, 2007 at 00:41.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellock
    Hmm...
    Finns det några fler Italienska spelare där ute?
    I sådant fall, finns det några av dem som är intresserade av att starta en Italiensk grupp?

    Allrighty...
    Italienska is obvious.
    spelara must be similar to Dutch "speler" or German Spieler.
    dar ute sounds like "there out", so that will become "out there"
    Finns is phonetically much like "find". that may mean that "det" means "you", since verbs and subjects easily pair up. Nagra and fler are a bit of guesswork, but at least Nagra is repeated in the next sentence, and fler may come from context, so that'll work out allright, I hope.

    I sadant fall... is an odd combination to have in front of a comma. that means it is either a complete sentence on its own, or an expression. I'm going with the expression, and it's phonetically a lot like "In. such. geval, meaning "In such case", more freely translated, "in that case", or "in any case". i'll see which one I like better later.

    Intresserade seems pretty obvious: "interested".
    av at startta en Italiensk grupp seems obvious enough also. "to start an italian group". But there's an extra word there. So what's that? Small words are often prepositions and such... and we've had a verb already... So i'm taking my chances that I'm not losing any important information with leaving that out. That leaves "nagra" and "fler" without much context really. But what words can they be? Nagra sounds like Negro, which means black in Spanish, but you're from Sweden, and Swedish is more of a Germanic language. Negro doesn't make sense, it would me more Romanic, yours would sound more like "swarch" or "zwart", I bet. (heh, I suddenly recall a tale about "svartalfar". Did you guys invent the Drow?) I'm going with something less specific. Like "a lot" or "some" or "any". (you're too smart to use pleonasms, I bet, although i'm not sure if there are a lot of idiomatic expressions in Swedish) And "Finns" was already my verb "to find" from the previous sentence. The "ar" must be from "to be interested"

    Allright, so what do I have?

    "Did you find some Italian players out there?
    In that case, did you find any of them that are interested in starting an Italian group?"

    Am I lucky again?
    Now see what happens when you butter him up?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
STAR TREK 2d20

Log in

Log in