Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Request for feedback on beta testing by Mac M1 users

The most recent beta test, started on July 22nd, uses an updated Unity engine than should support M1 Macs natively. The Unity engine specifies it is creating a universal build for both Intel and M1 Macs. Since we do not have an M1 Mac for testing, we want to get community feedback on whether the beta build works on their M1 Macs.

We currently have one report of a user encountering a Lua library issue on an M1 Mac; but since it was the first time we received a report like that in two weeks of the beta test, I'm unsure if it's a general issue for all M1 Macs, or a specific issue of this machine (security, install, etc.) This particular issue would happen whenever loading or joining a campaign.

I need to hear from M1 Mac users whether they are able to load, host and join campaigns; either successfully or unsuccessfully. Until I hear feedback from M1 Mac users, I'm hesitant to push the beta test forward for release candidate to Live. The current Live build uses an Intel Mac executable; which currently runs on M1 Macs through Rosetta without issues that we know of.

Thanks for your help,
    JPG

Hi there! I have the m1 mac Mini. There were some issues earlier on, trying to launch would cause a crash and I'd have to reinstall. I'm not sure if this had to do with Rosetta or not. From what i could tell it was due to some updates in MacOs.

Since then I've had no problems hosting. I only GM so i can't say much about connecting. I did post on my issues in one of the other MAC threads but am at a loss to find it now. Oops here it is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...crashing/page2
    Last edited by charmov; August 7th, 2021 at 16:25. Reason: Typo, add link

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by charmov View Post
    Hi there! I have the m1 mac Mini. There were some issues earlier on, trying to launch would cause a crash and I'd have to reinstall. I'm not sure if this had to do with Rosetta or not. From what i could tell it was due to some updates in MacOs.

Since then I've had no problems hosting. I only GM so i can't say much about connecting. I did post on my issues in one of the other MAC threads but am at a loss to find it now. Oops here it is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...crashing/page2
    I Have a Mac Mini M1 running the Big Sur 11.5.1
    On Test mode, I am having problems connecting and host any Campaign. On Live mode, I haven´t had any significant issues.

@charmov,

Are you running in the Live channel? Or have you tried in the Test (beta) channel?

The issue that @Mundo is having is specific to the Test (beta) channel.

Thanks,
    JPG

Yes, I am on Live. Shoulda read the title more carefully.

Since I have one report of issues on M1 Macs with the native build (@Mundo Guerreiro) and no positive reports, I reverted to making Intel Mac builds, and letting Mac M1 Rosetta handle the emulation like previous versions.

If you're interested in working with me to test a native M1 build by setting up time to go back and forth as I make builds to test, please reach out via PM.

Regards,
    JPG

What is required from the M1 testers to perform in terms of activities?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I basically need someone I can communicate back and forth with to try out builds to see if they work using the Dev channel. So, the person needs to have a M1 Mac, and be comfortable with switching channels and moving data files around as needed.

At this point, I have one negative data point, and no positive data points, for whether the new universal Mac build of FGU works on M1 Macs. The build I pushed yesterday removed the "universal" aspect; because I am concerned that this will delay the new version even more than it has been.

The one negative report I have from @Mundo points to the Lua library failing to load.

At this point, either:
    * The native build works on most machines (except for @Mundo's, which I would need to investigate separately)
    * Or the build fails on all machines (which implies that we have to figure out how to get a M1 binary of the Lua library v5.1.5)

Regards,
    JPG

If there is no need to ask players to join and I can do it using local connections from second instance or another reference computer, I can support testing on M1, as I recently acquired Mac mini M1.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I successfully logged into TEST. I couldn't send this in a PM but I'll post it here.

fgu_logs_20210812.zip

Thread Information