DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 16 First ... 45678 ... Last
    If Smiteworks is even allowed to create a 4.0 ruleset for FG2. Wizards might just put in a clause that disallows that specifically.

I keep seeing the words "licensing fee for commercial products" pop up in various threads though at this point it's still a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK

And one last tip: if you can't afford to spend $100 in books every 5 or so years you really need to stop playing these games and focus on improving your lot in life. {I still used 1st edition materials that i have adopted so I can't count those books as wasted money.}

Sorry, I know the average D&D related forum denizen isn't gonna find my words any comfort but they needed said...mostly just venting about how crappy the future of all forum reading is going to be for some time to come.
    Also on that note, the very same people that say they cannot afford $100 every few years to buy books will still gladly hand over $180 every year to play Wow or D&D online and others...

Quote Originally Posted by Traygin
    Also on that note, the very same people that say they cannot afford $100 every few years to buy books will still gladly hand over $180 every year to play Wow or D&D online and others...
    Yeah... because they're totally the same thing...

There's a much larger and longer lasting social aspect to online gaming and it's accessibility. There's also no continuity issues in those games. You can log on every night for a couple hours and still have fun, whereas with D&D or other RPG campaigns, it's far more unlikely to find any group or game or online service like that, that really does what a good DM'd game is supposed to.

It becomes nothing more than a combat simulator with loot. An MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NymTevlyn
    Yeah... because they're totally the same thing...

There's a much larger and longer lasting social aspect to online gaming and it's accessibility. There's also no continuity issues in those games. You can log on every night for a couple hours and still have fun, whereas with D&D or other RPG campaigns, it's far more unlikely to find any group or game or online service like that, that really does what a good DM'd game is supposed to.

It becomes nothing more than a combat simulator with loot. An MMO.
    So very true

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK
    Assuming this official VGT ends up being as well crafted as it appears.... well, you all can kick and scream all ya like but you know the end is going come for all the 3rd party VGT people.
    I disagree. WotC will introduce VGTs to a lot of people who have never even heard of VGTs before. Everyone who likes the idea of gaming online with a shared battlemap but gets turned off by their subscription scheme and price is likely to look for alternatives. Third-party commercial VGT developers may actually increase their sales, in the long run. I suspect that the free VGTs will reap the most benefit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by maverixx
    fg2 is the best
    I disagree. In my opinion, FG2 is the nicest in usability and looks. The dice options in GRIP still trump FG2 in functionality without doing some severe hacking in LUA for custom dice. The addition of LUA has enabled Fantasy Grounds to equal GRIP in terms of scripting capability.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by NymTevlyn
    If Smiteworks is even allowed to create a 4.0 ruleset for FG2. Wizards might just put in a clause that disallows that specifically.

That what I need to find out Nym. They can OGL it all they like, but the question comes down to what format can it be translated into. For those of you who may not know, the original draft of the d20 OGL did include miniatures. Then suddenly, the next version excluded them because WOTC had big plans for miniatures in their product models. They could easily exclude software in the next OGL, which is why I've said we'll have to wait and see.

If we're allowed to, Digital Adventures will translate v4 OGL to FGII.
    Last edited by Thore_Ironrock; August 22nd, 2007 at 15:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Thore_Ironrock
    That what I need to find out Nym. They can OGL it all they like, but the question comes down to what format can it be translated into. For those of you who may not know, the original draft of the d20 OGL did include miniatures. Then suddenly, the next version excluded them because WOTC had big plans for miniatures in their product models. They could easily exclude software in the next OGL, which is why I've said we'll have to wait and see.

If we're allowed to, Digital Adventures will translate v4 OGL to FGII.
    The wonders of boards and having similar conversations in more than one place! I posted a moment ago making the opposite assumption...that WotC would not deviate too much from the 3E OGL. We will have to wait and see whether they do or not.

(I will note that if they go the route of trying to be more limiting...I believe there are some prior court cases concerning software that would set a clear line of what they can do...so I remain optomistic. This is why I felt comfortable making the assumption I made.)

The post I referenced is here:
    FG Ruleset for D20 SRD 4.0?

In any event...only time will tell!

Later.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Thread Information