DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 16 of 16 First ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    Maybe you could think about the default bundle as a variant of the Generic ruleset (Toadwart willing) if you can't bundle a specific set of rules with the software.
    I think this is an excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    Would WotC stop you continuing with the 3rd edition SRD once 4th edition D&D is out? I for one, wouldn't have a problem with the default staying as the cut-down 3rd edition SRD as I play a lot of d20 based games and find conversion easier than starting from scratch (really MUST try to get to grips with Lua).
    Any publisher (or in this case producer of software) that has legally distributed an OGL product under the current d20/SRD license cannot have it "yanked" out from under them as long as they keep selling the product. In other words, "Fantasy Grounds II" can continue to use the d20 included rules as long as they sell the product. Same goes for my Complete SRD module add-ons. However, there is some gray area if a *new* version of Fantasy Grounds is released in the future, and the 3.5 SRD is at some point revoked for *new* products. Until Hasbro makes that decision there is really no way to know.

Personally, I think they will continue to let anyone use the current d20/SRD that wants to, and (may) restrict the use of any new OGL material based on past experience. Whether or not they allow us to include it in FG is really anyone's guess at this juncture.

I really can't wait to see what they come up with. I have purchased all the of the 3.0 books...I do mean all...then, I did it again with 3.5...

Initially, I thought: "I will not do this again." But, now, I just want to wait to see what they come up with. As has already been stated, I can play whatever I want to: 3, 3.5, 4.0, whatever. So, I am really not worried.
    grider

Campaign World: Cthasia - The Ohne Islands
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    King's Library Hosting, Hosting-The way it's supposed to be.

Technically and legally Smiteworks and DA are both safe from being held accountable from what users do with the software in much the same way apple can't be sued because you use their Ipod to play pirated MP3's. As long as they're not advocating people doing the wrong thing they aren't breaking any laws. How you choose to use their software is your choice and your responsibility.

Sadly the reality of the situation doesn't mean that being legally on the up and up doesn't mean they can't be crushed. If WoTC was to bring a suit against either organization they could bankrupt them by default in much the same way that the Dianetic's people bury some of their smaller enemies under a mountain of legal costs and paperwork.

The end result is we as a community should do as little as possible to bring negative attention towards either of these organizations. There isn't likely to be a license to use FG2 with D&D4e. I'm actually not 100% sure about the legality of making a ruleset for your own campaign (though I would assume it's illegal since you would need to give it to your players) but talking about it on a public forum or distributing it anywhere might cause a problem based upon drawing attention from someone with deep pockets.

I generally agree with your post. However,
    Quote Originally Posted by azbo
    I'm actually not 100% sure about the legality of making a ruleset for your own campaign (though I would assume it's illegal since you would need to give it to your players) but talking about it on a public forum or distributing it anywhere might cause a problem based upon drawing attention from someone with deep pockets.
    In FG2 you can now make common modules where the module data is not left on the clients excepted as an encrypted cache. I think that would put you in a better legal situation (I'm not a lawyer!) since you are no longer distributing something the client can use.

You are still correct if the *ruleset* distributes copyrighted material (ie graphics). It is my belief that because most RPGs freely distribute character sheets that you would be OK making just a character sheet ruleset though you should, of course, ask. Once you had a "character sheet rulset" if you included material you owned in a "common" style module such that the material was not distributed beyond the session and the material wasn't accessible by your players when not connected to you - I think you would be legally clean under fair use.

However, as you pointed out in your post there is a difference between being OK legally and what happens anyway if someone with deep pockets for lawyers comes after you with a vengeance. You can still be right and bankrupt.
    Last edited by Griogre; April 15th, 2008 at 21:44.

Thread Information