DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    They also work if linked to a custom AB.
    For those who don't know, you must manually add this node to the AB Edge in db.xml:
    Code:
    <arcanebackground type="windowreference">
        <class>arcanebackground</class>
        <recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.YourCustomABHere</recordname>
    </arcanebackground>
    where "YourCustomABHere" is exchanged for your custom (or core rules or setting-specific) Arcane Background.
    Remember the qualifier ("@SWADE Player Guide", etc) if it comes from another source.
    All the other words must remain the same.

We need an update to the Arcane Background window that allows you to select the companion Edge.
    If it's needed soon, I can write an extension for that.
    I just tested this - First is the Tattoo Magic AB - I edited it down to Tattoo in case it was not working with spaces in the "reference.arcanebackgrounds.Tattoo Magic" (which makes no difference it seems)
    Code:
    	<arcanebackground>
    		<id-00001>
    			<arcaneskill type="string">Spirit</arcaneskill>
    			<name type="string">Tattoo</name>
    			<notes type="formattedtext">
    				<p>Tattoo Magic is a peculiar form of mystical technology that enhances its recipients, allowing them to wield arcane powers through enchanted symbols embedded in their body—and soul. Its secrets are zealously guarded by the Splugorth and remain a mystery across the Megaverse®.</p>
    				<p>The mystic art of creating tattoos is thought to have been pioneered by the extinct race of dragons called the Chiang-Ku. Many millennia ago, this venerable race is suspected to have shared the secrets of Tattoo Magic with the True Atlanteans in exchange for tutelage in the art of Stone Mastery.</p>
    				<p>Now, tattoo magic is only known to be practiced by the dwindling race of ancient humans known as the True Atlanteans, who mark their children with them, and the nefarious Splugorth High Lords who use them for power, material gain, and as a terrifying form of punishment.</p>
    			</notes>
    			<startingpowerpoints type="number">5</startingpowerpoints>
    			<startingpowers type="number">0</startingpowers>
    		</id-00001>
    	</arcanebackground>
    Then is the Edge

Code:
    		<id-00017>
    			<abilities />
    				<recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.Tattoo</recordname>
    			</arcanebackground>
    			<benefit type="formattedtext">
    				<p>
    					<b>Arcane Skill: </b>Spirit</p>
    				<p>
    					<b>Starting Powers: Special</b>
    				</p>
    				<p>
    					<b>Power Points: </b>5</p>
    				<p>Tattoo Magic is a peculiar form of mystical technology that enhances its recipients, allowing them to wield arcane powers through enchanted symbols embedded in their body—and soul. Its secrets are zealously guarded by the Splugorth and remain a mystery across the Megaverse®.</p>
    				<p>The mystic art of creating tattoos is thought to have been pioneered by the extinct race of dragons called the Chiang-Ku. Many millennia ago, this venerable race is suspected to have shared the secrets of Tattoo Magic with the True Atlanteans in exchange for tutelage in the art of Stone Mastery.</p>
    				<p>Now, tattoo magic is only known to be practiced by the dwindling race of ancient humans known as the True Atlanteans, who mark their children with them, and the nefarious Splugorth High Lords who use them for power, material gain, and as a terrifying form of punishment.</p>
    				<linklist>
    					<link class="arcanebackground" recordname="arcanebackground.id-00001">
    						<b>Arcane Background: Tattoo Magic</b>
    					</link>
    				</linklist>
    			</benefit>
    			<name type="string">Arcane Background (Tattoo Magic)</name>
    			<prerequisites type="string">Novice</prerequisites>
    			<type type="string">Background Edge</type>
    		</id-00017>
    I also put "reference.arcanebackgrounds.id-00001" but none of these made an difference.

EDIT: I also tried <recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.tattoomagi c</recordname> and <recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.id-00001</recordname>
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; February 6th, 2023 at 23:07.

I mispoke a bit with my post and missed some information. Sorry about that.

It should be the node name of the arcane background. (I rename all mine from the default <id-000x>.)

In your case it should be id-00001, as you surmised.

The other gotcha is that the reference in the Edge is the post-export path. If you test this from within the setting creation module, it won't find that path.
    You could try the same path that the link in your Edge uses (arcanebackground.id-00001) which I'm guessing will work inside the setting creation module.
    However, I don't know if the export process updates the path in the Edge's <arcanebackground... node. I don't test my settings from inside the setting module. (My tests get messy and I'm worried I'll export that mess or break something.)
    If you export with the path
    Code:
    <recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.id-00001</recordname>
    I'm sure it will work in a campaign that references your module.

Here's an abbreviation of one of mine.

Arcane Background
    Code:
    <psiwarrior>
    	<public />
    	<arcaneskill type="string">Focus</arcaneskill>
    	<name type="string">Psi-Warrior</name>
    	<notes type="formattedtext">
    		<p>Psi-Warriors are those who have strengthened their will and trained their mind and body to unlock potential unavailable to most others.</p>
    		<linklist>
    			<link class="sw_referenceskill" recordname="reference.skills.focus@SWADE Player Guide">Skill: Focus</link>
    			<link class="sw_referencefeat" recordname="edge.arcanebackgroundpsiwarrior">Edge: Arcane Background (Psi-Warrior)</link>
    		</linklist>
    	</notes>
    	<startingpowerpoints type="number">10</startingpowerpoints>
    	<startingpowers type="number">4</startingpowers>
    </psiwarrior>
    Edge
    Code:
    <arcanebackgroundpsiwarrior>
    	<public />
    	<abilities />
    		<recordname>reference.arcanebackgrounds.psiwarrior</recordname>
    	</arcanebackground>
    	<benefit type="formattedtext">
    		<p><b>Arcane Skill: </b>Focus (Spirit)</p>
    		<p><b>Starting Powers: </b>4; or 3 + Psi-Blade</p>
    		<p><b>Power Points: </b>10</p>
    		<p>Psi-Warriors are those who have strengthened their will and trained their mind and body to unlock potential unavailable to most others.</p>
    		<linklist>
    			<link class="sw_referenceskill" recordname="reference.skills.focus@SWADE Player Guide">Skill: Focus</link>
    			<link class="arcanebackground" recordname="arcanebackground.psiwarrior">Arcane Background: Psi-Warrior</link>
    		</linklist>
    	</benefit>
    	<name type="string">Arcane Background (Psi-Warrior)</name>
    	<prerequisites type="string">Novice</prerequisites>
    	<shortdescription type="string">Allows access to the Arcane Backgrounds in Quar Dai.</shortdescription>
    	<type type="string">Background Edge</type>
    </arcanebackgroundpsiwarrior>
    Sorry about the confusion!

Cheers Mike. I did try testing from a different campaign but not sure if I did with the id-00001 version, twas late and I had a game to play. I will test tonight.

@Mike I tried with the id-00001 version, didn't work, so I went in and edited the AB to look like your one <arcanebackgroundtattoomagic> etc., and created a new test campaign and it worked fine.

Not sure if maybe the test campaign I was using was not functioning correctly and carried over some dodgy xml, but it works now. Thanks.

That extension sure sounds like a good idea though

One thing that seems to be required is that Arcane Background Edges are called Arcane Background (Name Goes Here) but I am not going to test this one tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    One thing that seems to be required is that Arcane Background Edges are called Arcane Background (Name Goes Here) but I am not going to test this one tonight.
    I did test it and Arcane Background () seems to be a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    I did test it and Arcane Background () seems to be a requirement.
    Good to know.

I tested the export of the arcanebackground node under the edge. It does transform the linked "arcanebackground.id-00001" to "reference.arcanebackgrounds.id-00001".
    That will save me some time writing code.

I started on the extension to link arcane backgrounds with arcane background edges. I'll post a working copy for you (and anyone else) to try out and give feedback on.

For the past few weeks, one of my players has been getting a spam of errors when doing Sweep. The error throws, and then the damage rolls don't work (no raise, no target). Here is the players log file.
    fgu_logs_20230327.zip

Hi Ikael et al, just a stupid little errata to the main rulebook that I'm not sure where else to report - the Statblock for the Dragon in SWADE is currently rolling Firey Breath incorrectly as an Athletics check vs Parry rather than as a "Thrown" attack vs the Ranged TN of 4. Once the size penalty got factored in I was hard-pressed to roast even the most modestly armoured of knights with it. Very sad.

Thanks, keep up the great work!

- ToKo
    - ToKo

ULTIMATE LISCENSE HOLDER, BABY!
    "Roll20 ruined my first Ambush, and I never looked back..."
    Dean - East Texas University - Higher Education Campaign - (SWADE Ruleset) In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post
    Hi Ikael et al, just a stupid little errata to the main rulebook that I'm not sure where else to report - the Statblock for the Dragon in SWADE is currently rolling Firey Breath incorrectly as an Athletics check vs Parry rather than as a "Thrown" attack vs the Ranged TN of 4. Once the size penalty got factored in I was hard-pressed to roast even the most modestly armoured of knights with it. Very sad.

Thanks, keep up the great work!

- ToKo
    Fiery Breath is Area Effect Attack, ie. you should not target anyone for the Agility roll. If you rolled 4 or more then you can place the Cone template and target unlucky ones that failed Evasion and roll damage.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thread Information