5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How would the Centaur's Charge be written to cause double damage as an effect?

I have been looking at Arcana races and discovered the Charge ability for Centaur, yet I am not seeing any way to cause damage by a weapon type to cause double the damage. Is there a way to write this in 5E game rules for effects?

I'm fairly certain there is no "double damage" effect beyond the Modifier button in the Modifier window. You can hold Shift when rolling damage to get double damage or you can write a power effect to add damage, i.e., Charge; DMG: 1d8.

Thank you Tabarkus for saying something. But the addition of just a die of damage is not what the damage does. But thank you for letting me know my only options.

I was going off this description in the UA. Which seems to just add an additional weapon die for damage.

"Charge. If you move at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hit it with a melee weapon attack on the same turn, roll the weapon’s damage dice twice and add them together. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest."
    Last edited by Tabarkus; July 22nd, 2021 at 23:24.

I was looking for this as well. The easiest way to do this, is to hold down the Shift key while clicking or dragging the damage. This will role the damage die twice, then apply the modifier. (Note: I believe Tabarkus is correct - you do not Finley the damage, but roll the damage due twice.)

so the only issue with with using the Shift key function for this is if the attack actually is a critical because you should have 4 damage dice in that case instead of 2 damage dice.

The correct way to do this is noted in post #2; add an effect of DMG: 1d8 and have it expend on next action and apply it when needed.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The correct way to do this is noted in post #2; add an effect of DMG: 1d8 and have it expend on next action and apply it when needed.
    So you would want to make and Action Power that has separate damage effects for every weapon damage possible. Since you could be using a longsword (d8), longsword (2-handed) (d10), greatsword (2d6), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    As Klandare notes, unfortunately the damage isn't a specific die - whatever melee weapon you use is the die you roll twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    so the only issue with with using the Shift key function for this is if the attack actually is a critical because you should have 4 damage dice in that case instead of 2 damage dice.
    Ah - so if it's an actual critical hit, and holding Shift with the damage will only roll the damage die twice, and not stack Charge with Critical and roll the damage die the total required amount?

I know Rob Twohy has done some coding for other effects (e.g., Colossal Slayer that only rolls once per turn), so it's possible he has coded something for Centaur Charge that looks at the damage dice and rolls it a second time. I couldn't find anything quickly in the FG Forge from Rob on this: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/cra...4/view-profile

Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    So you would want to make and Action Power that has separate damage effects for every weapon damage possible. Since you could be using a longsword (d8), longsword (2-handed) (d10), greatsword (2d6), etc.
    No; you'd only need it for the weapons the player is using. Most players don't carry around an arsenal of weapons; rather they may have two or three. The only other way to do it would be to create a new weapon line for each weapon; but seems easier to me to create the effects.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information