Fantasy Grounds Merchandise
  1. #1

    Suggestion: "Early Access" module releases

    One of the biggest legitimate criticisms of FGU vs FoundryVTT is the amount of time it takes for modules to be released after the book. It might be worth considering if we could see "early access" releases of modules that just get updated over time to include the full book contents.

    This makes the most sense for rules/settings modules, where players are itching for access to the new character options. It makes slightly less sense for adventure modules, where the GM really needs most/all of the content ready immediately (although I suppose the module could be updated chronologically).

    The concern would be making sure that the modules do eventually see a full release eventually. We would still get the full PDF, so we wouldn't completely be throwing our money away if it never gets a full release.

    I am curious if something like this would even be allowed by either Smiteworks or Paizo, or if it is entirely up to the module developer.

  2. #2
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,673
    We're not going to release products in early access. This creates all sorts of problems if paying customer don't get what they believe to be the final product they expect within a certain period of time. And there is also a time waste of support questions regarding stuff that's missing.

    We work through the products as best we can and we release the products when they're ready to be released. Going back through them to add new functionality when the ruleset supports it.

    It's an interesting "criticism" regarding FGU vs FoundryVTT. There are some products released on FGU that aren't available on FoundryVTT and vice versa - Bestiary 3 being one of the big current examples (available on FG but not on FoundryVTT). And also keep in mind that the FoundryVTT releases contain much less content that FGU releases - much less, especially for this products that are graphics/prose heavy. And we're not going to try to compete by releasing cut down versions similar to the FoundryVTT modules that get updated later, that has too many issues associated with it. Sorry, you'll have to wait for the full, gorgeous FGU conversions to be complete before release.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 20th, 2021 at 09:33.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    We're not going to release products in early access. This creates all sorts of problems if paying customer don't get what they believe to be the final product they expect within a certain period of time. And there is also a time waste of support questions regarding stuff that's missing.

    We work through the products as best we can and we release the products when they're ready to be released. Going back through them to add new functionality when the ruleset supports it.

    It's an interesting "criticism" regarding FGU vs FoundryVTT. There are some products released on FGU that aren't available on FoundryVTT and vice versa - Bestiary 3 being one of the big examples. And also keep in mind that the FoundryVTT releases contain much less content that FGU releases - much less, especially for this products that are graphics/prose heavy. And we're not going to try to compete by releasing cut down versions similar to the FoundryVTT modules that get updated later, that has too many issues associated with it. Sorry, you'll have to wait for the full, gorgeous FGU conversions to be complete before release.
    Yeah, this is the right call. Early access sounds like a nightmare for players having to change things when it's updated, etc.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
    Yeah, this is the right call. Early access sounds like a nightmare for players having to change things when it's updated, etc.
    This is something that we have to deal with now when the book is released. I end up having to create the ancestry/feat/class data ad hoc for the characters before the book is released, and then rebuild the character from scratch when the module is released so that I can level the character with the correct data.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by flashgordon View Post
    This is something that we have to deal with now when the book is released. I end up having to create the ancestry/feat/class data ad hoc for the characters before the book is released, and then rebuild the character from scratch when the module is released so that I can level the character with the correct data.
    You don't have to, I just told my players that this is a serious time sink and pain in the proverbial backside so they will have to wait until it is available in the shop.
    After showing them what has to happen manually, they all agreed to this.
    “He says gods like having an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.”

    Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Small Gods

  6. #6
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,673
    We're working on improving our process and completing key products closer to the release data. Adding extra steps (like early access) will just make the final release slower - which I think will cause more angst overall, and also make the whole process less efficient.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  7. #7
    Back in 5E I did this for a player who wanted a homebrew class. It was a nightmare effort, so I told him he'll have to add stuff as he goes.

    THat worked, less work for me, he got to do his cool stuff. But I wouldn't do it again

  8. #8
    But Foundry doesn't have any of the core books, just some Pathfinder Bounties, so it's not really a fair comparison. I can put in a Bounty in an afternoon. Plus in my experience with Foundry it's just the opposite. I made the mistake of updating Foundry in May when the new version came out. Couldn't touch Warhammer FRP until last week cause it wasn't compatible yet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Log in

Log in