STAR TREK 2d20

Unable to add generic actions, how to?

Hi All,

So, I'm new to PF2 and I'm trying to figure out how to work the system in FGU. I've been using 5E for several years, so I know there are some things to do differently. Here's an example of my problem, and I'm wondering if this sort of thing is not available at all, or if is still WIP:

Example 1: I made a level 1 fighter, and I get the Intimidating Glare feat - which says among other things that I can make an Intimidation check, and then force a creature to make a Will save. My question is - do I have to do that all manually, or can I make a button that will a) roll my skill b) compare it to a targeted enemy c) roll that enemies die and d) apply the effect depending on the result?

Example 2: I take the Power attack feat. Is there a way to make a general action on my character sheet that will a) apply the MAP penalty for the one attack, b)on my next damage roll, apply the additional dice, sum up the damage?

Sorry if this is silly or redundant, but I'm having a hard time finding the answers on the wiki, as well as some of the recent videos. Its unclear if the PF2 team is still updating stuff they want, or if this just isn't planned to be done.

For information on how to setup an area for actions, see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post461029

For example 1: you'll need to handle this manually before Release 19 (end of year). PF2 clarification - the demoralize action rolls intimidation against the target's will DC (10 + will save bonus). You don't roll for defending values in PF2, so you don't need step c in your example.

Example 2: You don't apply the MAP to the power attack roll, it counts as two attacks for MAP with future attacks. The easiest way to add the extra dice for power attack, if you hit with the power attack two action activity, is to start dragging the damage entry from the weapons section of the actions tab and right-click once to add an extra die, then drop the dragged damage onto the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetesofos View Post
    Its unclear if the PF2 team is still updating stuff they want, or if this just isn't planned to be done.
    There's lots going on and lots planned. Not sure where you're getting the impression that there isn't. See this thread for details of the most recent release (lots of new functionality) and post #9 for an idea of future releases: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rmation-thread
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks so much. Sorry to imply that there isn't anyone working on stuff - I think I was just a bit jaded coming from 5E system where things are more or leased finished; but I suspect they have a bigger team.

This certainly helps a lot. I am familiar with the right click method for dice, and so that would be my current plan - I just wasn't sure if there was a more efficient way - thanks for the response though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetesofos View Post
    Sorry to imply that there isn't anyone working on stuff - I think I was just a bit jaded coming from 5E system where things are more or leased finished; but I suspect they have a bigger team.
    Judging by the amount of third party extensions being sold (and bought) that provide additional 5e ruleset functionality, I think that most people wouldn't agree that the 5e ruleset is more or less finished.

You'll find there's actually more functionality in the standard PF2 ruleset than the standard D&D 5e ruleset (IMO). But it might be done differently, as PF2 is based on the PF1 ruleset and is a more complex system than D&D 5e. But there's still a lot to of development to go to get it to where I want it to be...

Anyway, I digress... I'm just trying to get across the idea that there's a lot of functionality already in PF2 (with lots more to come) and it (IMO) stands up very well when compared with the D&D 5e ruleset. Like I say, PF2 is more complex than 5e so the ruleset will do things differently and there are more areas that aren't currently, or won't ever be, automated because of that additional complexity.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 17th, 2021 at 17:24.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There is a hacky way of doing skill actions using spells.

Add a spell class for each skill. Set the Ability and Proficiency as relevant for that skill:

AcrobaticsActions.PNG

Now for the hacky part. By the rules, most skill checks are targeted against a Save DC value (save Save Modifier + 10). We can invert this, so instead the enemy makes a save against a DC based on your proficiency, just like how saves against spells work. In order for the math to work out, you need to add 2 to the save DC when inverting a roll like this.

TumbleThroughSave.PNG

Keep in mind that because we are inverting the roll here, you need to invert the degrees of success as well (so Critical Success becomes Critical Failure, Success becomes Failure, etc).

The reason we have to add 2 to the DC can best be thought of in the case where both characters have a +0 modifier, so you would just roll a d20 and your target is 10. Here, you have a 55% chance (or 11/20) of succeeding. So when we invert the roll, we need the other person to have a 45% chance of success. Adding 2 resolves this.

Also note that the math doesn't actually work out perfectly for critical success/failure. This is because for any DC, there are 10 possible results that get a standard success, but only 9 that get a standard failure (ignoring nat 1 and 20). This is because crit success/failure is based on 10 above/below, but matching the DC exactly is a success. Unfortunately, there is no way to invert this part, so either you need to keep an eye out for this, or just accept as a sacrifice you have to make to make things easier.

Thread Information