FG Forge
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Double NPCs, Items, Classes etc entries with both rulesets modules loaded

    Hi,
    when I load both DCC rulesets modules (DCC RPG, and DCC RPG - Players) I have double NPCs, Items, Classes etc entries in each list. It is so unhandy to have a list with two identical "Dwarf" entries, two "Elf" etc
    How can I manage this issue as GM?

  2. #2
    leozelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    1,536
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi Galdor,

    As the judge, you only need to have the full version of the DCC core rules open. Your players will only have access to the player module, which has the same information without NPC data and other judge-only content.

    If you want to have both open for whatever reason, you can use the filter from the pull-down menu at the top to only view one or the other.

    Cheers!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    7
    Just a thought, @leozelig -- most of the rulesets do split the GM data from the Player data without duplication to prevent this type of confusion amongst both players and GMs. Pathfinder (both) is the exception (out of the rulesets I own anyway) and they don't offer Player versions, again to avoid confusion and duplication.

    Usually it's using the incorrect 'group' for building characters (even if it's the GM building a character but uses the data from the Core Rules rather than the Player Book) when the GM hands that character over to a player, the links no longer work, etc. since the players cannot load the GM module.

  4. #4
    Thank you leozelig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Usually it's using the incorrect 'group' for building characters (even if it's the GM building a character but uses the data from the Core Rules rather than the Player Book) when the GM hands that character over to a player, the links no longer work, etc. since the players cannot load the GM module.
    Oh my gosh, does it happens also with DCC? As GM, have I to create player characters using the players ruleset, and then use the GM ruleset for game mastering?!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    7
    Yes, that is true of pretty much anything on Fantasy Grounds. It boils down to database ownership. All data/databases in a GM module are owned by the host (GM) therefore clients (Players) do not have access to them.

    So, yes, if you're making characters ahead of time that you intend for players, then create them with the Player Book (whatever it's name is in DCC).

    The majority of the rulesets in FG split the data so players have all the classes, races, spells, gear, etc. they'd need to create and maintain their characters while the GM data has the NPCs, bestiary, magic items, typical GM-only material. Pathfinder leaves everything in the Core Rulebook which is a Player Module so players can see the core NPCs, core magic items, etc. but then the extra bestiaries, etc. are GM-only and only contain a smaller Player module if that book happened to also include player material.
    Last edited by Talyn; July 15th, 2021 at 00:09.

  6. #6
    OK, thank you Talin for the hint..

  7. #7
    leozelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    1,536
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Just a thought, @leozelig -- most of the rulesets do split the GM data from the Player data without duplication to prevent this type of confusion amongst both players and GMs. Pathfinder (both) is the exception (out of the rulesets I own anyway) and they don't offer Player versions, again to avoid confusion and duplication.

    Usually it's using the incorrect 'group' for building characters (even if it's the GM building a character but uses the data from the Core Rules rather than the Player Book) when the GM hands that character over to a player, the links no longer work, etc. since the players cannot load the GM module.
    I will take a look at some of the other rulesets. It seems strange to me that some chapters would be in one module and others in another module for a single book. How many of the other rulesets split a book that way?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,204
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    How many of the other rulesets split a book that way?
    Tempted to say Savage Worlds started the thing, since many (not all) of the settings published a GM book then a separate Player book and it took both to make the setting. But we're under orders even if the publisher just releases a single core book (such as my first FG project, Lankhmar) to split them into two books. It was 5E though that caused the bigger decision because when it was first official on FG, the DMG duplicated all the classes, races, etc. from the PHB and users ran into the exact situation I described above. Since 5E has a much larger userbase, that translated to a larger amount of support issues to fix things in various campaigns so SmiteWorks decided to remove all "player-facing data" from the 5E DM-facing books.

    As for Pathfinder, I never asked if Paizo had any input on how it was released but as I said, both editions simply come with a huge Core Rules module which contains both GM- and Player-facing data. So does Starfinder, but that's Paizo again.

    I just looked at Traveller 2E and it's duplicating the data as well, so that might be something MBM has to address eventually. But hey, deleting markup sure is easier than adding it!

  9. #9
    leozelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    1,536
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok, that just blew my mind

    I definitely like the idea of not maintaining duplicate module data. How do those split modules in the other rulesets handle the reference manual? It seems like a nuisance for the GM to switch to the player module to look something up in chapter 4, and then go back to the GM version for chapter 7. Do any of them leave the complete rulebook intact for the GM, or is it literally Ch 1-5 in the player module and Ch 6-9 in the GM module?

  10. #10
    The chapters are typically split based on intended usage (as in the second part of your question).

    You might send a PM to Zacchaeus who does most of the WotC books to see how he does it.

    Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
FG Spreadshirt Swag

Log in

Log in