5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Preserving Fog of War Reveal?

I'm currently running Abomination Vaults, Pathfinder 2e, and I'm having a bit of a problem with the new vision. It works really well until I need to go to a new map - or just replace tokens to a different area of the current map. As soon as I drag from combat tracker to a new map or new position on the map, that player loses all of the fog of war reveal they had, blanking out the map again. This makes it very frustrating for the players to keep track of what parts of the dungeon they have explored.

Is there a way to move tokens to new maps (or "pick up and drop" them on one map) without this happening?

Unfortunately, no there is no way to do what you are asking.

There is an item on the wishlist for this though.

As a workaround, you might be able to create a party token to leave behind on one map while the party moves to another map. You would need to turn on Party vision though.

Blog Entries
    I was going to suggest what Sulimo said. For the "overland" or "area" map, use a party token with party vision, don't bother to put the individual PC tokens on it. Then the party can move the token around representing where the whole party is. Use the marching order tab from the party sheet to indicate marching order, and then when you get to an encounter, share that map and put the PC tokens on it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you are moving onto an area on the same map then Hold SHIFT whilst dragging the tokens from one place to the next. That will preserve the FOW on that map.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you are moving onto an area on the same map then Hold SHIFT whilst dragging the tokens from one place to the next. That will preserve the FOW on that map.
    Thanks, that will help at least - enough that I can manage anyway. I don't want to do party vision because my party absolutely loves splitting up (never mind it's almost gotten them all killed multiple times) and not being able to see what each other are doing has been a huge source of fun.

It's too bad that vision is saved to the token instead of the player - although I suppose I can see the advantages of doing it that way.

Blog Entries
    You can assign Party vision to a single token, via right mouse cwon't work either.lick. You would do this on the overview map. But then again, if the party splits up at that level,

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm running a megadungeon adventure - there isn't really an overview map to speak of. I'm more concerned with helping the party keep track of what parts of the labyrinthine affair they've already explored or not. Less "what floors have we been to?" and more "have we checked the door at the end of that hall yet?"

Blog Entries
    I get it, no way I know of. Though I have added an idea just now to the wish list that might help. See suggestion; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=136793

I'm working on getting familiar with the GM side of FGU and was battling this same want. As a player I find not having any reference other than my line of sight makes it very difficult to develop a sense of direction, scope, proximity to a goal, etc. I think I stumbled across the best solution this weekend; for me at least. Maybe this will work for others as well.

I am prepping Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Big maps. Lots of twists and turns. DoMM happens to provide a Battle Map and a DM Map. The DM Map provides more details like secret door direction, room numbers, etc while the battle map provides the layout without any of the details AND LoS coded; a secret door appears like any other part of the wall. Cool.

Setting the table - so to speak.
    1) Take a copy of the Battle map.
    2) Open that copy and unlock it so you can edit its settings.
    3) By default the entire map should be under fog of war.
    4) From the 'Play' mode, I turn off Player Preview, Line of Sight and Lighting. This is key!
    5) From the 'Mask' mode, assuming fog of war covers the entire map, click 'Reveal Area'.
    6) Draw an outline around the area your party has discovered (holding Alt down will let you draw freeform)
    7) Rename this battle map to Players Explored Territory or whatever and share that map with the players.

Now my players can move their tokens on the battle map maintaining the immersive LoS and Lighting effects and reference the covered area map to get their bearings; or tell me 'Hey, we want to make our way -here-' and draw a pointer on the covered area map. Or they could literally draw a line depicting the path they want to take. They wouldn't be able to do that on a LoS / Lighting enabled map. The fact that the revealed content of the covered area map and any markings made to that map are bound to the map itself means that it persists across sessions.

Handy for players and GM alike as I don't have to remember what areas they've heard me describe before, it keeps me from accidentally spinning up an encounter they've already completed and theoretically, the players could point out doors they've seen but not passed through or plan an escape route when their plan to infiltrate that bandit hideout goes horribly wrong.

Thread Information