STAR TREK 2d20

Problem with player trying to level up

I ran into an issue last night when my players were leveling up their characters. (this is in 5E)

I had a player that runs 2 characters. He had just installed a new computer and downloaded the client and installed. He was able to connect to the campaign fine and grab both of his characters when logging in. Now when he went to level up his characters; he got an error saying You can only level characters that you own. He was listed as the owner of both of the characters. I even released the ownership of them and had him close the characters and reopen to take ownership again (now he did this without closing the client and restarting).

Is this something that anyone has seen when a player moves to a new computer?

Also - where are a client's error log file found? A couple of my other players were hitting a different error when trying to do their leveling but I didn't get what the error was so hoping it might be in their logs.
    Last edited by Klandare; July 10th, 2021 at 21:52.

First thing to look at when you get errors is extensions. Always test in a new campaign without extensions.

Assuming your player logged in with the same username that they previously had then they should be able to grab their characters. Since you are getting an error they the log files would be useful. To get them type /console in chat and then press return and click the compile log button.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I will have him do that. Now let me be clear; the user was able to grab their characters without any issue. And during the game he was able to move and use them. He was not able to level them though giving the error of only You can level your owned characters.

Would the compile logs work for all sessions or just the current session running? Just trying to figure out if I would have to have him try and do the leveling after logging into the campaign again.

thanks.

The log files are only relevant to the current session. So compile them immediately after the error.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    You can also get the log files before you join your next campaign. From the fgu launch screen hit the icon in the top left to open the console window, then Compile Logs. And they do get the current and one previous session of logs.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You can also get the log files before you join your next campaign. From the fgu launch screen hit the icon in the top left to open the console window, then Compile Logs. And they do get the current and one previous session of logs.
    So question on this then; if a player connects runs for awhile closes client and then reconnects to the same GM session (GM has never closed) that would still be considered multiple sessions for the player correct? If so then unfortunately for one of my players (the one that couldn't level before the system doesn't think he owns the characters) as he had to close out and then reconnect to grab some information that night (and the level errors happened earlier in the night).

But I should be able to get the error from the players that were are on the Mac.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    So question on this then; if a player connects runs for awhile closes client and then reconnects to the same GM session (GM has never closed) that would still be considered multiple sessions for the player correct? If so then unfortunately for one of my players (the one that couldn't level before the system doesn't think he owns the characters) as he had to close out and then reconnect to grab some information that night (and the level errors happened earlier in the night).

But I should be able to get the error from the players that were are on the Mac.

Thanks.
    Correct, each time a player connects, to the same campaign or a new one, they get a new set of logs. FGU does keep one previous version of the logs, so if they had an issue, disconnect and reconnected, and don't connect to a new campaign, then the log with the issue is still there, use the second method, getting the logs with out connecting to a campaign via the FG launcher and not the console command within a session.

You can also get the logs by going into the FG Data folder, and looking at them there too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information