DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Yes, I’m aware of how long it takes to do a video and I wasn’t disparaging your one but for me an instructional or tutorial video needs to be maximum 10-15 minutes long and only cover one subject or feature.

As I said in my original post I got stuck on trying to produce a unique name for an NPC based on race and gender since that seemed to be the next thing that I could make a video on myself. But I could not get that to work because I couldn’t figure out how to create the right tables. I see the technical bits on the wiki but translating that into a practical thing was beyond me. Right now I don’t have time to get into it again but I’ll give your video another look in the future; I didn’t even see time stamps and gave up when it started ion the PowerPoint thing.

There’s clearly a lot of power in this and I like story templates and as a developer I want to use them when I can to enhance the user experience (although I use par5e and it’s not been updated to take advantage of the new stuff as yet).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the detailed feedback- It’s very helpful.

As for your use-case, there is more than one way to accomplish this goal.

1. You can create one table that has a row for each race and gender, and use column referencing to get your name. This is the easiest method, but doesn’t help if your race needs to be decided by something externally.

2. If your race is being decided somewhere else (let’s say you have another template that is deciding the main race of a settlement is going to be Elf, and now in a new template you want an Elven NPC because of that fact). So in your original template, we’ll have you using {:City Race:Race} to call the race. In this case, let’s assume you have three possible races: Elf, Human, and Dwarf, and the City Race table just has those three results. You could then make three separate tables, one for each race name (Called Elf Name, Human Name, and Dwarf Name) and in your second template you could call them like this: [:{Race} Name:NPC Name]. This would first replace the data you stored in {Race}, and then roll on the table [Elf Name] and store the result inside “NPC Name”. Thereafter, you can also reference it by using <NPC Name> if you wanted.

3. Let’s say that the roll to decide race is happening externally to the name table as above, but within the SAME template instead. Here you would roll for the race with something like [:City Race:Race] and then the name could be conjured either using [:<Race> Name:NPC Name], [<Race> Name], or even [#Race|1# Name] if your race was held in column 1 of your City NPC table.

Hope that helps, but if not I can try again!

What I was trying to do was use the ability to call a table using a value generated from another table. So I had a table which generated a race and another which generated a gender and then use those results to roll the name. So if I got male dwarf I would roll on the male dwarf first name table and then roll on a generic dwarf surname table. I wanted to demonstrate that you could call a table by generating the name of the table from other rolls since that seemed to be the next thing on the wiki after the stuff I demonstrated in my first video. Whilst I got part of that to work I couldn’t follow it all the way through. I’d need to look at it again in more detail but as I say I don’t have the time to do that right now. I’ll pick it up again in a few weeks.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi, where i can suggest some changes to this feature???
    I think it coul be very useful have custom naming on tables, to call tables based on prior columns.

The first line is the final result.
    The second line is the the tabale calls with custom naming.
    The third is the actual line to roll.

FG STP.png

Thread Information