DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Story Template Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

I figured it might be best to move the discussion about Story Templates out of the "paid creations" room and into here, since it's no longer a paid creation and now it's just part of Fantasy Grounds Retail.

That said, brand-new features for Story Templates are now live- including the ability to column-reference with Link Record results!
    Also, I made a new comprehensive tutorial video for the Wiki, complete with quick navigation links in the video description so you can go straight to whatever you need to learn about.

Click HERE to go see the new video!
    Last edited by JimSocks; July 10th, 2021 at 06:05.

--Reserved in case I need to put a "sticky" of sorts here later--

MOD: Moved to CoreRPG forum
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    MOD: Moved to CoreRPG forum
    Lol.

Well, I tried to do good anyway. Looks like I missed the mark!

This looks very interesting. I was running into some roadblocks on using the existing table functionality to do what I want. This looks like it will help out a lot. The video is very helpful in understanding the uses for this greatly enhanced functionality.

Blog Entries
    Really powerful stuff here Jim, impressive!

A couple of questions I did not see answered in the video.
    - Is their a way to escape control characters? For instance, the '(a)' in a story template. What if you actually wanted the "(a)" as you are doing a list or such ((a), (b), (c)...).
    - How long are the values stored for? i.e. just the session aka stored in RAM, or stored in the campaign aka stored in the database. How would one handle a single story template that uses custom naming/callouts that is going to be used multiple times in a campaign or in a session? i.e. a Template that generates a building, but now you want to generate 10 different buildings with the same template...
    - By chance might you be willing to share the campaign (or something like it) from your video? Seems like that would be very useful for learning all of this

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks!

Here’s the answers you seek:

1. No escape characters. If someone would like to make a lettered list, they should choose a different format. 2 Examples might be: a. Text b. Text c. Text or a) Text b) Text c) Text

2. The values are stored for the generation of a single story template, except for cross-template values, which are stored for the entire single session. So upon a /reload they are wiped clean too. Of course, the stories you generated will remain in your campaign records until you delete them manually.

2a. Cross-Template references that use the same custom name will over-write what was placed in that bucket last time it was used. This way, you can press generate on a template 100 times and it always gives you something new.

3. Well, that particular campaign is a piece of my current project which I hope to run a successful kickstarter for if I can gain Smitework’s approval to do so, so THAT one I won’t be putting out there for awhile. I could create a stand-alone module for training, but right now my bandwidth is really thin due to the first project.

All great questions! I hope these answers helped!

What I think is maybe needed here is some more information on how all these new features work. The videos are too long and interrupted by PowerPoint presentations which aren't helpful and the wiki documentation peters out after the initial bit and is very vague on how you deal with some of the more powerful stuff.. Maybe some short and to the point videos with simple examples of what can be done. I'm sure there's power in here but I can't get my head around anything other than the first bit. Here's a sample video which shows the basics of the multicolumn support which is the only bit of the new stuff that I was able to get a grip on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4I3N_iHAgA

Examples should use small, readily understood, tables instead of some colossal world building thing. I think maybe one of the problems I have is not so much using the templates but how to construct the tables in order to use the new functionality. The thing with templates has always been how to construct logical tables so that templates could use them.

So simple things like how to generate a unique name for an NPC based on their race and gender and how to construct the tables to facilitate that and how then to retain that information to be able to use the pronouns and the name, race and gender in a later text string. If we can get a handle on how that kind of thing can be done then I think that'll help our understanding of what can be done.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the answers Jim. Totally understand how to work around escape characters. As for storage of results, that how I thought it should work, just didn't know if that's how it does work Totally understand about bandwidth.

As for how to document this... I personally do not like videos, but understand that they take much less time to put together and publish than a well laid out pdf or wiki page with edited images etc. If I had the bandwidth, I would volunteer to do a campaign with samples of all of this. imo, that's the most useful resource for all of this since people can then copy what is known to work into their own campaign (from the example module) and then enhance it to their needs. But I won't ask someone else to do something I can do myself (if any of us had the time to do it).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

That’s good feedback, but also really disappointing! The video, FG examples, PowerPoint, and post-production took a lot of effort... not a quick process.

I understand the video is long, but it’s very simple and quick to use the time code links in the video description to jump exactly to a particular topic. I suppose I could split the long video into 14 separate video chunks, but then it kinda spreads the knowledge to the wind so to speak? Also, splitting the video isn’t a quick process- with each video needing its own tags, upload time, edit time, and splash card graphics. I mean in a way, because you can easily either scrub the video and watch the table of contents slides go by, or use the time code links, it’s like a bunch of mini-videos already though... just under one roof?

As to the examples in the video, I thought I used very straightforward and simple examples? Was there a particular one that was hard to understand?

Using the PowerPoint let’s me illustrate the syntax in a larger, easier to see format, and let’s me show how the techniques function quickly, then I jump into FG for some simple in-use examples. I’m not sure how I could cover those concepts better or faster without the help of the slide presentations.

As for the best way to build tables, I really have only changed one aspect, which the video you linked already demonstrates well: now multi-column tables are a big benefit when you need relational data. Ok I take that back, I have changed two things- the second is using auto capitalization for entries that may need to be capitalized contextually.

Do you have a specific concept from the video that misses the mark or fails to teach a concept?

I’m also willing to help you understand here on the forums, if there’s something you just can’t get a grasp on.

Thread Information