5E Character Create Playlist

5E on FGU - Looking for 1 (possibly 2) players on Thursdays 7pm-11pm CST

FG License: GM has an Ultimate License so all you need is the demo version.
    Game System: 5E.

Time Zone: CST.
    Day of week and time: Thursdays 7pm-11pm.
    Planned Duration & Frequency: Every week for 4 hours.
    Term: Long-term campaign (at least a year, very likely longer).

Text or Voice: Both, but primarily voice.
    Voice software used: Discord.
    Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No recording involved whatsoever. It's a private game for only those at the table.

Roleplay & Combat mix: Typically, it's evenly distributed. However, some sessions will favor one over the other and there may be times where there isn't any combat at all for back to back sessions. It depends entirely upon the decisions the players make. Roleplay isn't mandatory. If you prefer to refer to your character in the 3rd person for the entirety of the campaign, that's perfectly fine with everyone in the group.

Number of Players in game & needed:
    Currently have 3, but I need 1 more and would consider a fifth if the fit is good.

Character starting level & equipment:
    The campaign started at level 1, but the players are currently level 2. New players would start at the same level as the group and have gear appropriate for level 2 (no magic items yet).

Character restrictions: No evil characters -- Full stop. I enjoy running campaigns where the entire party is evil, but good and evil characters simply do not mesh well in the same group and this campaign is for 'good' (or at least neutral) characters.
    Races -- are restricted to what's in the PHB, but I'm always open to listen to the wants of a player. That said, the 'custom' race option in Tasha's is never allowed.
    Classes -- anything from official published WoTC material is allowed. I will also consider 3rd party options, but they must be submitted for approval first.

Details of your scenario: We recently lost a player due to real life, but we currently have half a dozen sessions under our belt and the players are level 2. Though the campaign will very heavily involve the Underdark in the Forgotten Realms, the players haven't made a trek there yet. The campaign is mostly homebrew, but I draw a lot inspiration from my massive library of published material. I do use a lot of house rules to supplement 5e. In fact, each player is supplied with a roughly 50 page pdf explaining my house rules. Without going in to great detail, the additional house rules are fundamentally meant to provide players with more options, more reward paths, and to make 5e slightly more gritty.

I use A LOT of extensions for FGU. If you're unfamiliar with what they are, they're additions to the base code that enable a lot of amazing features that the base Fantasy Grounds client doesn't cover. One, simple, but amazing example is the Portals extension. The extension allows players to seemly transition their character tokens from one map to another without requiring the DM to do it for them. For example, if you're in a multi-level dungeon with numerous maps, the character can move between levels without the direct involvement of the DM. That's just one extension and I use almost 80.

Our group is in our 30s/40s and have a lot of experience with D&D. FGU is relatively new to a few of us, but we're picking it up very quickly. I'm a passionate DM, I love the game and spend a lot of time reading and thinking about the game, but I'm not a performance artist. If you're looking for a Mercer, that's definitely not my strength, but if you appreciate well-prepared games with meaningful narratives backed by a strong understanding of game mechanics, I'm your guy. I do roleplay, but it's generally from a 3rd person perspective. That said, I do occasionally RP from a 1st perspective, but it's outside of my wheelhouse and it requires a lot of mental energy that I prefer to invest in other aspects of the game.

As the DM, I don't really have any major table rules other than simply use common sense and courtesy when engaging other people. If you think something you want to do might be a bad idea, it probably is. To give more concrete examples -- Try not to interrupt other people when they're talking, don't belittle their choices, etc.

Our group has a desire to play as a team and we'd like you to as well. That's not to say that you're not welcome to develop and play your own character because you absolutely are. It's even ok if your character is disagreeable if the conflict is backed by an element of his/her history or goals. However, causing strife within the party simply because "it's what your character would do" isn't what we're looking for.

A perfect example of that is someone attempting to pickpocket other players in the party. That kind of thing is completely unacceptable. There is almost no upside and near-infinite downsides. In my experience, the only players that try that sort of thing are either extremely immature, extraordinarily selfish, or very new to the game and don't quite grasp the social dynamics of TTRPGs.

The one thing I DO want from anyone who considers joining us is to be dependable. I expect my players to show up every week and show up on time. Obviously, things happen and people occasionally miss sessions and that's fine, but if you can't consistently make it, please don't waste my time, or yours.

Lastly, if you're overly sensitive or feel that D&D is a place for social/political activism, my table isn't for you. Also, if you think that all Drow (with the few exceptions notwithstanding) being evil is 'problematic' then my table definitely isn't for you. Everyone in the group is a well-adjusted, mature adult and we're not going to walk on eggshells worrying about total garbage like 'micro-aggressions' or coddle you with trigger warnings and then provide a safe space to melt down.

If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

I hope to hear from you.
    Last edited by BushViper; July 9th, 2021 at 21:44. Reason: expanded thoughts

This sounds like fun, I would be interested in joining if you are still looking

Quote Originally Posted by Darriss View Post
    This sounds like fun, I would be interested in joining if you are still looking
    We're not full yet, but there has been quite a bit of interest and I'm making contact with everyone.

If there is a spot still open then I'd be intereseted

Quote Originally Posted by Leftropolis View Post
    If there is a spot still open then I'd be intereseted
    Unfortunately, we're full with 5 and also have an alternate on deck, but I'd be more than happy to keep you in mind if we have an opening in the future.

Bump, we lost one of new recruits because we don't use the optional flanking rule, so we have an open spot for one player.

Obviously, don't apply if that rule is a game-breaker for you.
    Last edited by BushViper; July 23rd, 2021 at 23:53.

You had me at a more gritty 5e. 50pg pdf house rules. Hell yeah Brother. I realize you're probably full up but you're writeup was outstanding. So about me: played on and off for 30ish years (D&D, chthulhu, GURPS, Twilight, Traveler, Rift, Paranoia, etc.). Have DM'd my fair share as 6 of us in group and 3 of us take turns as DM's. Just life taking everyone all over the place where we're currently not pen and pencil roleplaying. Eventually I'll get them on board with FG but some of lil older guys are just 'spoon ice cream in the comps... makes 'em work better'... sigh
    I'm available 7 nights out of 14 (schedule is pretty specific and varies rarely depending on... uhhh stuff

oh and I'm generally not too insane on 'tweak' rules bothering me.
    Roleplaying should be fun, then team work, THEN follow the rules.
    Coddling: I mean cuddling is better... but I try not to do either w/ roleplaying group LOL
    Last edited by bukner; July 31st, 2021 at 05:42.

Thread Information