STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    For those of you trying to still use dragging to the target, the new Apply button the Table Resolver actually handles most cases without issue. The only reason to drag is if you want to adjust the result on the fly. If that is the case drag it to the defender/target on the Table Resolver instead of trying to track down the target. It will apply the result automatically and you can use the link if you need to get to any additional information.

Also, I am hoping to be able to provide options so just the attack can be rolled and it will figure out and apply any results. As I mentioned before, I have to handle all the one-off situations and Rolemaster unfortunately has quite a few of them. The more I look into it the more I am finding them. That means that until I can get all of those situations handled, I can't fully automate it to just rolling the attack to generate it all. It is definitely planned but I still have quite a bit to do for the ruleset to make things easier for GMs and PCs.
    Dakadin - the current system as you've designed it is super smooth. A one click attack takes the critical roll away from the PCs - and my PCs love the added expectation of that critical roll - so much hangs on that roll.

My players (who are Rolemaster players since the late 80s) are blown away by how slick FG RM is.

Regards - Rainbird

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
    Dakadin - the current system as you've designed it is super smooth. A one click attack takes the critical roll away from the PCs - and my PCs love the added expectation of that critical roll - so much hangs on that roll.

My players (who are Rolemaster players since the late 80s) are blown away by how slick FG RM is.

Regards - Rainbird
    No need to worry. It will be an option and not the default. I agree that the PCs like rolling the criticals and hearing the results, at least they do in my game. I just want to provide it as an option for those that want it. I will likely create a new section in the Options just for the Table Resolver since I can see quite a few different levels of automation that people will want and I never want to lock someone into playing a certain way if I can help it.
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Also, I am hoping to be able to provide options so just the attack can be rolled and it will figure out and apply any results. As I mentioned before, I have to handle all the one-off situations and Rolemaster unfortunately has quite a few of them. The more I look into it the more I am finding them. That means that until I can get all of those situations handled, I can't fully automate it to just rolling the attack to generate it all. It is definitely planned but I still have quite a bit to do for the ruleset to make things easier for GMs and PCs.
    Thank you so much Dakadin: these are very good news!! We really do hope you would overcome all the issues...

Sidenote: maybe you could just streamline some Rolemaster rule, perhaps ignoring those tricky rules which arise some issue in programming...

Any update about this?
    No need to worry. It will be an option and not the default. I agree that the PCs like rolling the criticals and hearing the results, at least they do in my game. I just want to provide it as an option for those that want it. I will likely create a new section in the Options just for the Table Resolver since I can see quite a few different levels of automation that people will want and I never want to lock someone into playing a certain way if I can help it.
    Has such option (to resolve whole the attack, including the critical roll, with just one click) been created?

No, it hasn't and it might not be possible with all the different possibilities that require the GM's input without adding a ton of extra options which might just confuse things. Every item at a minimum would need to be marked as normal, magic, mithril, holy and/or slaying. There was more too it but I don't remember it all right now.

No, it hasn't and it might not be possible with all the different possibilities that require the GM's input without adding a ton of extra options which might just confuse things. Every item at a minimum would need to be marked as normal, magic, mithril, holy and/or slaying. There was more too it but I don't remember it all right now.
    What a pity
    I have honestly purchased DCC ruleset because with just one click it resolves whole the attack, including the critical...and in DCC there are several kinds of criticals too (different critical tables for classes and levels!!)

Yes, but it is much easier to check a class or level to find a table. RM is much more open ended in how things are resolved so it complicates things. Currently the things I mentioned would need to be added before it could even move forward.

Have you found anything that allows you to run RM combat faster, where it doesn't it all in one click? If so I would like to see how they did it.

One other option is you could make an extension to run the combat the way you want it to run.

Yes, but it is much easier to check a class or level to find a table. RM is much more open ended in how things are resolved so it complicates things.
    DCC checks class and level; does not RM check only weapon (axe, sword, etc) - or size of the creature (large etc) - and weapon material (mithril ecc)?!
    Have you found anything that allows you to run RM combat faster, where it doesn't it all in one click? If so I would like to see how they did it.
    Absolutely not, I haven't found, but my point of view is different. I am not a player who 'wants to play the best RM', but a player who 'wants to play a fantasy ruleset with crunchies similar to RM' (like levels, classes, races, several kind of criticals etc) instead. From this point of view, a ruleset like DCC is far more faster than RM, with a lot of 'just-one-click' automatons..

The land of the Pecsaetan, in the Kingdom of Mercia
    The fact that you have to apply the result means that the GM can actually check that they're happy with everything first. Has the attack roll taken into account the OB/DB split; has it included rear/flank bonus; have any applicable penalties due to previous criticals been taken into account; has the player targetted the correct NPC/monster (my players have done this more than once).

I don't know one player who doesn't want to roll their own criticals. If you've managed to score a critical then you've earnt the right to roll it. It's like not being able to roll your own damage rolls in other games.

As for applying criticals, there's a chance that it might need to be modified due to a skill like ambush or sniping. Automatically applying it would not give you the opportunity to do this. Also, some GMs use fate points, and a popular use of these is to modify criticals that would otherwise be fatal.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of variables to consider, and you can add into that the fact that there are players who have played Rolemaster for 30+ years who like to put their own spin on things.

Rolemaster is not DCC. From what I understand, DCC is based on D&D 3e (please correct me if I'm wrong). Rolemaster was originally designed to add much more depth to D&D, and eventually developed into a complete system. It will never be as slick as D&D (which has always been an entry level RPG) or a D&D clone as there is far more to take into account.

I'm sure there are ways to make the combat in FG RMC slicker, and Dakadin has improved the FG ruleset greatly and continues to do so, but you can't dumb it down into a single click mechanic.

Thread Information